Rogue State - NOW ON STEAM!

Started by KodiakBehr, Mon 10/11/2014 23:47:59

Previous topic - Next topic

KodiakBehr

Get the latest news on Rogue State by following us on Twitter and Facebook!

https://twitter.com/LRDGames
https://www.facebook.com/littlereddoggames
Vote for us on Steam Greenlight!

http://www.littlereddoggames.com/

You led the revolution that freed the People's Republic of Basenji from the shackles of the imperialists.  Now, decades later, your regime faces its most difficult crisis -- your own brother.

In Rogue State, you are the Glorious Leader who must hold onto power by maintaining the delicate balance between the interests of fundamentalists, capitalists, patriots and liberals while your brother, Farouk, consolidates power and influence with intentions to overthrow you.  How will you manage affairs with your neighbouring countries while ensuring you don't attract too much negative attention from the Americans? Will you be a generous donor to the United Nations or an international pariah building nuclear weapons in secret?  The choice will be yours in this new game from Little Red Dog Games, arriving in 2015.

Rogue State is an economy-management strategy game made using Adventure Game Studio, beautifully rendered in stunning 1280x800p.  It features backgrounds that were drawn by the incredibly talented UnLady and polished by Derek Restivo.

FEATURES

• A world of possibilities!  Over thirty possible state purchases, six clandestine projects, eight potential neighbours and hundreds of randomly generated events.  No two games will ever be the same, and the approaches you take in one game may not neccessarily be successful in another.
  • Manage complex relationships that are more nuanced than war and peace.  Forging unlikely alliances may just keep Basenji from the kinds of wars your leadership can't survive.  Other leaders have distinct personalities that may inform your tactics.
  • Choose cabinet leaders to help manage your country.  Maintain their favour by accomplishing relevant objectives.
  • Be the dictator you need to be.  Tackle problems with the level of freedom or oppression you desire.
  • Lots of persistent unlockables, achievements, high scores and secrets.

The Team:

KodiakBehr, Problem, UnLady, Derek Restivo

Development Progress:

Story: 100%
Scripting: 100%
Graphics: 100%
Sound/Music: 100%
Beta Testing: 75%

Expected completion date:

Q4 2015

cacaro

Wow, this looks fantastic. It reminds me of Republic: The Revolution, which I liked a lot in spite of its many flaws.

NickyNyce

Oh man, I can't wait to push that big red button. Very interesting idea, and the style is beautiful and unique.

Best of luck to you and the team.

Adeel

Looking at the artwork: my first thoughts were that, perhaps, Problem is doing artwork for this game (along with doing music, of course). I can't tell you how glad I was to see that UnLady is doing artwork for you. IIRC, she's working on her first game, isn't she? It was also nice to see Problem as part of your team too.

Impressive artwork, fascinating concept and beautiful website. Keep it up! :)

Lasca

This is THE game of 2015 I'm looking most forward to. It will most certainly be GREAT! Also looks beautiful.

Problem

Thanks for your positive comments!

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Tue 11/11/2014 20:58:32
Looking at the artwork: my first thoughts were that, perhaps, Problem is doing artwork for this game
Is it that obvious? ;)

In fact everyone in our team is involved with the artwork. KodiakBehr is responsible for pixel art (the GUIs are all his work), I do 3D characters and animations, and Unlady draws those beautiful background graphics. Another great artist is about to join our team to create comic art for cutscenes etc.
However, it started as a two man project, so the game design and code is all done by KodiakBehr and myself.

KodiakBehr

Every week, we're going to show off one of the four factions of Rogue State, and talk a little about what they are going to expect from you, as Glorious Leader of the People's Republic of Basenji.

This week, we'd like you to meet the Capitalists.

Basenji's capitalists seek prosperity and support measures that promote international trade, business development and reduced tariffs.  They highly encourage foreigners to visit the country, and are singularly responsible for its burgeoning tourism sector.  All this being said, they are interested in keeping as much money as possible to themselves, and will take a strong stand against any new taxes or regulations.  They're going to respond favourably to visa waivers, American corporations, airports, seaports, sweatshops, stadiums and shipping companies.  Keeping them happy will be essential if you want to ensure that their deep pockets don't find their way into your rival's hands.

kconan

Wow looks and sounds awesome...I'm eagerly awaiting this one!

Mandle

This game looks amazingly, intelligently well-made....In fact it looks better than most titles brought out by the major games companies. Which makes me ask: Will it be a commercial or free game? Sorry if I missed this in the post but I did look twice. If commercial then what price range are you looking at?

KodiakBehr

It will be commercial, but affordable.  We're storytellers on a tiny budget, so we're looking to make this game as accessible as possible, aiming for a $10 USD price-point.

The feedback we've received so far has been really wonderful.  Right now our biggest challenge is just getting the word out!

Adeel

That's quite a nice representation of current world's capitalist folks! Keep it up, KodiakBehr and co. I love the way it has shaped so far.

Ibispi

Very nice looking game - that background which was in Critic's Longue, looks a lot better now(though it was nice in pixel art as well)!

It reminds me a lot of the Democracy games (with Democracy 3 being the latest). Were you inspired by it? Or, if not you should check it out, since you might find some useful or interesting ideas, since it is also a game about being a politician.

KodiakBehr

Thanks!  It's amazing what can be accomplished with a higher game resolution and talented partners.  We're in the middle of our first graphical update presently, giving more depth to the characters and value to the backgrounds.

Rogue State shares a lot of genetic material with Democracy (a simulation I'm quite fond of).  Both games require you to set policies that pander to the various factions of your population.  Rogue State has a more playful tone, occasionally allowing the player to...for example...negotiate trade with a despotic rooster, or build a time-machine to go back and talk yourself out of a regrettable early-game decision.  But in some respects, it also gets a bit darker, allowing the player to brainwash assassins or support foreign insurgents.

AnasAbdin

I'm trying to find words to describe how awesome this is but I can't! You guys are doing a great job and your games are a very important branch of point and click games that have stats and numbers 8-)

Ibispi

Quote from: KodiakBehr on Thu 18/12/2014 16:55:56
...a bit darker, allowing the player to brainwash assassins or support foreign insurgents.

(laugh)  (nod)

Adeel

Quote from: KodiakBehr on Thu 18/12/2014 16:55:56
...a bit darker, allowing the player to brainwash assassins or support foreign insurgents.

That's a great implementation. Quite realistic, I must say. It's happening all around us. Proxy wars, urgh...:-X

Lasca

The portraits looks great. Who does them?

KodiakBehr

We've been working closely with a local artist named Derek Restivo.  (http://derekrestivo.com/)

Mandle

Quote from: KodiakBehr on Thu 18/12/2014 03:17:15
It will be commercial, but affordable.  We're storytellers on a tiny budget, so we're looking to make this game as accessible as possible, aiming for a $10 USD price-point.

The feedback we've received so far has been really wonderful.  Right now our biggest challenge is just getting the word out!

Well, so far it looks well worth $10! I think you will find a good customer base at that price, just don't get hacked by North Korea or anything...

CrashPL

Great! I love seeing games, other than standard adventure ones, done using AGS. Looking extra promising, great value for money as well (30 PLN for such an interesting concept? Count me in!).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk