(SOLVED)I am having some issues drawing movable paths.

Started by Anpiel, Sat 15/11/2014 00:39:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Anpiel

I feel that this will be an unbearable question to a few people here, but I am growing agitated. I have read and reread everything I can find but the less than ten hours a week of sleep could also be getting to me. This is also only my second day working with the program. Every time I try to draw something I get a bubble saying this: "You are currently using the eraser. To draw new areas, change the selection in the list above the Properties Plane."  I have looked through everything and cannot figure out how to make it just draw some lines. Somebody help this sleep deprived fool?
Angels they fell first but I'm still here

Dualnames

Step One: Select(left-click) the properties drop-down bar on the right. I've circled the place in the image above in red

Step Two: This will make a list of the walkable areas for that room, select the one you want to edit, pressumably walkable area 1, as I do. I've circled the place in the image above in red, and the area in orange.

Step Three: Now you've selected the area, assuming you selected walkable area 1, as the active one. This way you can draw on it by selecting any of the tools as indicated there, I've circeld the freehand tool.

What was the problem is that usually the active walkable area gets de-selected, so you have to do this to select it back. With no active walkable area, AGS didn't know where you wanted to draw.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Anpiel

Thanks for your help! For a minute I thought that it still wasn't working but I got it!

Dualnames

If you could take the time to rename the topic to solved, that would also be nice. And no problem, glad I helped.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Crimson Wizard

I would also mention that you can import area masks. In many cases that is more convenient solution.
AGS is not really a drawing tool, and you may find it not that easy to use.
If the graphics editor you use to draw rooms supports layers, then you may create another transparent layer and draw over walkable areas. Then you save that layer only as a 8-bit bmp and import in AGS as a walk-area mask.
You may do the same for walk-behinds too.

The advantage of this technique is also that you have both your background and area masks in one graphics document. If you ever change your room background, you may fix masks in same gfx editor.

Anpiel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk