Thimbleweed Park, a new old point and click by Ron Gilbert

Started by Trapezoid, Tue 18/11/2014 19:45:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Myinah

I think it's personal preference. Plenty of people understood her perfectly well. The blog comments are very active and uncensored and there was a great response to the trailer and the voice actress. Of course there are people who didn't like it and have concerns but I mean that's a given with any game. :)

Mandle

I've just watched the trailer through again three times and I cannot for the life of me catch the voice actor tripping over her lines...

I think the writing also is spot-on and the mood is very well set for the game...

Loving the Twin Peaks vibe again...

again...

again...

IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN...

Danvzare

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 23/03/2016 07:53:08
No, sorry. Irrespective of the character, it's just not a very good performance. It's probably partly the way the actor is trying to do a "hard-boiled" voice, but you also have several stumbles and half-swallowed syllables that just don't sound professional. E.g. in the first sentence, she doesn't enunciate "were prepared" properly, and then when she gets to "I arrived" it comes out more like "I 'rive'". I don't think anyone is able to follow her rushing through "a victim of the violence we bring on each other in pursuit of our dreams turned to nightmare" on first listen, but the writing is just as much to blame for that. But then next you get "junior agent Reyes" all slurred together as well, and there's no excuse for that, unless it's that it's just way too much monologue in way too short a time.

You must have a very keen ear, because I don't think anyone can hear any stumbles or half-swallowed syllables (or at the very least, nowhere near as many as you can). The voice actor seemed to speak quite clearly to me, although you make it sound like she was talking with the strongest Yorkshire accent imaginable.

LUniqueDan

I know I have hell of expectations here.
But after 30 minutes so far, it doesn't look like a 'labor of love'. Impossible to skip intro... interfaces seems unfinished (no Mouse-over over some buttons, awfuly badly imported TTfonts, kinda missing sounds and many things seems mecanically pixelised). Some very predictable interactions are not taken into account (Talk to Corpse).

I'm enjoying it so far, but like Dualnames wrote earlier, we all know people arround here doing more for less...
(I found the Chainsaw of expectations !!  := )
"I've... seen things you people wouldn't believe. Destroyed pigeon nests on the roof of the toolshed. I watched dead mice glitter in the dark, near the rain gutter trap.
All those moments... will be lost... in time, like tears... in... rain."

Yitcomics

Oh man I really wanna play this game, but I just don't got 20$ at the moment.  :~(

Snarky

I don't know for "labor of love", but a lot of those things you mention are just plain sloppy. In following the blog updates I've been impressed with the team's professionalism, so failing to dot those I's and cross the T's is disappointing.

The font-outlining in the UI is also really bad: it creates way too much visual noise.

So some flaws that are hard to understand, but at the same time the game has been getting very good reviews. AdventureGamers gives it a full five stars: http://www.adventuregamers.com/articles/view/32506

MiteWiseacreLives!

I haven't been following this too closely, but I will probably be playing it soon. While I'm going through it I'll be looking to see why this couldn't be made in AGS.

CaptainD

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 31/03/2017 14:44:08
While I'm going through it I'll be looking to see why this couldn't be made in AGS.

That's an interesting thought, I honestly don't think you'll find any reason though.

Snarky

"Coming March 30th, 2017 to Windows, Mac, Xbox One, and Linux. iOS, Android, and other platforms will follow soon after."

CaptainD

Quote from: Snarky on Fri 31/03/2017 14:49:08
"Coming March 30th, 2017 to Windows, Mac, Xbox One, and Linux. iOS, Android, and other platforms will follow soon after."

Well I meant as in making the PC version  :P wasn't thinking in terms of portability, where AGS is clearly behind.  But fair enough, from that point of view it couldn't be done in AGS (at least not yet).

Snarky

Going by the dev blog and previous videos, there are a bunch of little visual effects and things that you couldn't do in AGS in any straightforward way, but obviously with a few compromises you could recreate the general look-and-feel in AGS â€" as you could with pretty much any 2D adventure game.

Crimson Wizard

I did not follow the development blog, but I guess nowadays people make 2d games in 3d engines, because latter allow everything that "pure" 2d engine has, plus very easy and fast zooming and rotating of sprites (and whole scenes).

Myinah

We've been really lucky and have had a lot of amazing reviews. I'm certainly humbled and grateful for all the positive feed back. I'm a little sad to see its not been so well received here, but hey you can't win em all!

Also just a quick FYI you dont need to have the outlined font in the UI. We have a classic font option more in line with classic SCUMM. And AGS was never considered as an engine option as far as I'm aware. Ron is an experienced engine programmer so it wasn't hard for him to build his own. In my opinion AGS would have been unsuitable because we needed to port to so many different platforms and it has too many limitations. I'm not sure why anyone would want us to compromise on the visual beauty of the game just so it could be programmed on AGS. Bit odd in my opinion but there you go! (laugh)

Hope the rest of you enjoy the game as much as we enjoyed making it! For us it certainly was a labour of love!

LuciferSam86

Just finished on "casual mode" because i wanted to see that mode, and holy beeping beep, the game from start to end was perfect.

Now I will try the normal mode to see more. Wish me luck  (laugh)
God is Real, unless declared Integer

Snarky

Quote from: Myinah on Sat 01/04/2017 11:29:05
Also just a quick FYI you dont need to have the outlined font in the UI. We have a classic font option more in line with classic SCUMM.

I just installed and played through the intro, experimenting with different settings. There seems to be a bug where turning off the outline font for the UI buttons ("Retro-Verbs" â€" these settings could be better explained/documented, btw) also forces the classic "sentence line" (in other words, hotspot names appear at the bottom of the playable area rather than by the cursor. The "Classic Sentence" setting then doesn't do anything apart from changing the cursor to a star when over a hotspot.

Quote from: LUniqueDan on Fri 31/03/2017 01:37:21awfuly badly imported TTfonts

I'm not seeing that. The fonts render properly (sharply, without any antialiasing for pixel fonts) on my screen. Still, I do think the mix of resolutions with the fonts in particular is a bit off-putting. I'm seeing at least four different ones on screen at the same time: e.g. if you choose retro fonts, they're not in the same resolution as the graphics, they use another resolution for font outlining, and the retro verbs are in yet another resolution. Even with using HD for things like parallax and rotations (so you get diagonal "pixels"), I think the "retro pixel resolution" should be kept consistent.

The backgrounds are lovely, though.

CaptainD

Quote from: Myinah on Sat 01/04/2017 11:29:05
I'm not sure why anyone would want us to compromise on the visual beauty of the game just so it could be programmed on AGS. Bit odd in my opinion but there you go! (laugh)

I don't think anyone was actually suggesting that!  More just a point of interest, "could we have made this with AGS?".

I haven't played it yet so can't give any feedback, but it certainly looks like something I would want to play, so that must count for something  ;)

Frodo

I'm having SO much fun with this game.  Feels like I'm back in the 80s.   :grin: :grin: :grin:

Myinah

I don't think anyone was actually suggesting that!  More just a point of interest, "could we have made this with AGS?".

Ha ha! My bad! I have ASD and I tend to miss that and take everything quite literally! I've lost count of the times my friends and family make some jokey statement and I correct them or question it because I took it literally. I think that will always be my blind spot! (laugh)

[delete}

Mark Ferrari gave a nice 8bit pixel speech. A nice guy.

Mandle

This has been on my MUST PLAY list since I first heard of it, and I will play it once I have the time left over from other projects!

Probably sometime around December... But I WILL PLAY THIS GAME!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk