Background Blitz - lost cities Winners announced

Started by aikex222, Mon 24/11/2014 22:57:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassiebsg

Really nice WIP mandle! (nod)

Anyway, since I doubt I'll have more time to work on this model until the deadline, I submit it as is for now.

EDIT:
A wide view to show the entire walking area... also camera is now at "eye" level.
There's one obvious "thing" that should not be there... but I had a crash and lost some settings, and did not notice that layer was on when I rendered the picture. (roll)
Spoiler

[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Beautiful city Cassie!!!

What's the back story? Come on, just a hint!?

Cassiebsg

Thanks Mandle. :)
Ended up using the old "picture" on a wall to get sky the way I wanted it,

You can guess that it's so lost, that it's not even to be found on Earth... ;)
It'll be one of the 3 cities the heroes will need to visit for my BSG game. So by the time I'll need to add it to the game, there's a good chance that I'll change some stuff and add more details... used more time getting the texture right than actually modeling. And then, am not even sure I'll stick with AutoCad for rendering the final image... ;)

Monsieur OUXX

Cassiebg I like your background, there is something mysteriously appealing to it, maybe because, like someone said before, it reminds of many imaginary places without being any of them (that scene in Brazil and many others, like Edgar P. Jacobs' "Atlantide").

===========

This is my entry! I'm happy to be done.
In order to celebrate, here is a sound effect :
Spoiler

OLD CITY LOST. RECLAIM IT! DEFEND THE OLD CITY WALL!
(gamers will know)
[close]

STORY:
Nobody knows for sure where this lost city can be found, but skilled whip-carrying archeologists will notice that this is a strange mix of Mayan and Roman Christian art and architecture. Maybe in South America? And GOD, there seems to be a lot of Gold in there! Just beware the Great Jaguar god if you try to get in to snatch all that gold! Who said "booby traps"?

Mandle

That entry is so beautiful it made my eyes rain...

Yihahahaaaa! I can see it, I can see it.
OUXX you warm up my heart. Lovely, I wanna hug it.
Aaaaand almost as I had imagined it, I came pretty very close. :-D

OH, I'm sooo tired. I might fall into bed and die. The two final layers in two days that's so freakin crazy, I must be crazy! Light effects aren't so huge parts of the picture, but the textures. I wanna cry.... I hate dead lines, it's the death to all great art. .....or an artist.^^

I just can't aim for less.

selmiak

Cassiebsg

Wow, lovely work! 8-0 Good job, you guys amaze me on how good you are every day.
Am so looking forward to discover that lost city! Awesome detail work there. (nod)

And thanks for the kind words. :-D

Currently I'm granting your wish, Mandle. ;)

I already know that this kind of rich detail work will take almost another week of effort from me. I lost to many days and stopped the process, even progress is gained fast now. I'm taking a rest, I might become sick.... or ..... or I'm pregnant. :-D But I don't think so yet.

Anyway if I push myself over the limits, I would have to pay. And I'm not risking my health or waste the concept art for a low quality entrance. But I will finish it within the next days till new year. It was a pleasure. I got the motivation to perform and try out what I had developed in two months work. That is a really shiny goal.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: adventuress on Fri 19/12/2014 21:28:46
But I will finish it within the next days till new year.
You better! I really want to see it!

Gabarts

It's awesome Monsieur! It remembers me of FoA+Broken Sword I mix style. Congratulations

GreenBeams

@Monsieur OUXX - 8-0 8-0 8-0 - stunning, simply stunning.
@Cassiebsg - Oh, i'd be walking around that environment thinking "who were these beings and where did they go?" Sort of like the same feeling i had when i played The Dig for the first time. There's kind of an eerie feeling about it - and the water is superb. I love the water!
@Mandle - gogogo! looking really nice and feels really good too. Really like something i'd want to play and explore =)
@Adventuress - seriously can't wait to see this finished =)

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

cat

@Cassiebsg, Monsieur OUXX: Wow great entries!

Originally I wanted to make this a scrolling room, but I ran out of time. So here is the left part of the room.

"Are you sure we are on the right track here? This doesn't look like a lost city at all." "Don't you see the red torii over there? This must be the gate to the shrine. If my interpretation of the ancient scrolls is correct, we will find the entrance to the city there."

Hihi, in some minutes midnight is knocking onto the door. Well I came this far, the first steps onto the skin, which will be a way more detailed at the end.

I will not withheld my thoughts.
A city which name got forgotten. A underground passageway leading through the caves into the mountain, found by an accident. My protagonist is a bit hobbling and not so fast on his way. Who wouldn't with a broken part of one of the legs? It happened at night time, in the jungle not far from the camp. When everything got mixed up in panic. Fallen down into a deep hole in the ground, searching for a way out. A not so dead city will gotta be found soon and save a life.

(laugh)
Mandle you got your wish and the asked for words, you know the way. Let me hold the door for you.... open Gallery

@cat
You are near to China I guess on the other side of the globe or? I really like that art style, it reminds me of my childhood and the books I used to read. You should make something for kids.

@all
You guys did a great job. A competition filled up with life.

Mandle

As we have so many WiPs being posted and are hitting such a busy time of the year for everyone I would like to propose an extention to the deadline.

The problem is that I doubt extending any time from now until Christmas will help out many people. It's just too busy a time for most.

Is it too long an extention until Dec 28th or 29th? This still give people a good 3-4 days after Christmas to finish up (including myself).

It just seems a shame that a contest with a theme that generated so much interest would end with mostly unfinished works because of the time of year.

What does everyone (and especially the contest host) think?

Armageddon

Monsieur: Why are your images always scaled so they're blurry? I want to see the pixels man! :-D

aikex222

Spoiler

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 21/12/2014 01:58:01
As we have so many WiPs being posted and are hitting such a busy time of the year for everyone I would like to propose an extention to the deadline.

The problem is that I doubt extending any time from now until Christmas will help out many people. It's just too busy a time for most.

Is it too long an extention until Dec 28th or 29th? This still give people a good 3-4 days after Christmas to finish up (including myself).

It just seems a shame that a contest with a theme that generated so much interest would end with mostly unfinished works because of the time of year.

What does everyone (and especially the contest host) think?
[close]

I don't mind to make a extension, if most of the competitors are ok with that.

cat

Quote from: aikex222 on Sun 21/12/2014 03:25:31
I don't mind to make a extension, if most of the competitors are ok with that.
If there is an extension, I'll try to finish the full scrolling version of the background.

Quote from: adventuress on Sat 20/12/2014 23:15:43
@cat
You are near to China I guess on the other side of the globe or? I really like that art style, it reminds me of my childhood and the books I used to read. You should make something for kids.
I am in Europe, but I have been to Japan last year, which inspired me a lot. I actually made some kid's games already (although in a different graphic style - BG Blitz is always a great opportunity for me to try something different).
Thanks for sharing your WIP!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk