Memoriae - MAGS May 2016 & AdventureJam 2016

Started by xil, Sat 21/05/2016 04:11:55

Previous topic - Next topic

xil

Memoriae was made for MAGS May 2016 & AdventureJam 2016.

Press ESC to access the menu in-game.
If you have mouse speed issues run winsetup.exe and make the game windowed.

Because of the 2 week time limit, only the first part is available so this is a fairly short game. It is heavily inspired by Kentucky Route Zero so it plays more like an interactive story than a traditional point and click adventure.

Ben Smith: Art, music, scripting, story and dialogue
Gillian Green: Story and dialogue

[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/memoriae-ss1.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/memoriae-ss2.png[/imgzoom]
[imgzoom]http://calicoreverie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/memoriae-ss3.png[/imgzoom]

Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Cassiebsg

Hey, congrats on the release got a mirror? ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

this looks cool, I'll check it out later...

@cassie, I sometimes have problems with Gamejolt in Firefox. But it works in chrome and opera. Have you tried using a different browser?

Cassiebsg

No, only have Firefox. I enjoy having control over what runs on my computer.

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

xil

@selmiak thanks for checking it out :)

@Cassiebsg I'll have it up on my website mirror later today and will update the thread once it's available!
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

shaun9991

Downloading now, looks great as always xil!! :)
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

xil

@shaun Thanks for downloading mate, I'm just about to play aerinde now :)

@cassie Mirror is up!

morganw

I really liked this, everything about it is very cohesive.
Saving a game didn't seem to work for me (and you might need a seizure warning when the skyline scrolls!) but I really enjoyed it.

sthomannch

Nice work!
I enjoyed playing this and I could really dive into the story. Also an interesting user interface :-)
Hope to see more like this.

Haggis

Really nice teaser of a game. Looking forward to seeing where it's going next. Loved the way the cursor clicked when I did!
Didn't find the increase walk speed option until after I'd finished, but that was due to my incompetence and the length of the game :D

xil

Thanks for the kind words guys. I did (as always) bite of much more than I could chew in the 2 week time-frame but I feel like I have a good base to go back to and to properly finish off the whole story I envisioned.

@morganw I'm not aware of any bugs with the save feature but I'll check it out, was there any place in particular it was not saving? As for the skyline I guess that's probably a framerate issue which will be hard for me to test/fix so I'll probably just block the colour in or do a single outline of pixels when I come back to it! Thank for letting me know anyway :)

Shameless plug with the bump: You can vote for the game in this month's MAGS (MAGS May vote - forum topic - make sure you've played all the games first!) and also on GameJolt for AdventureJam 2016 (Adventure Jam 2016 vote page - you'll need a gamejolt account for that though) - and finally (!) if you have a GameJolt account you can also rate it on it's Game Jolt page (that's separate to Adventure Jam 2016).

morganw

Just tested saving again...
The normal "SAVE" button seems to work fine, the "SAVE + EXIT" doesn't seem to save (unless it's meant to not overwrite a "SAVE").

Scrolling wise, it looks like pixel distortion (pixels appearing to compress or stretch as the they move) coming from the smooth scrolling, but if I change the game settings to run in my desktop resolution this seems to stop. I also just noticed that running with "Bind to game scaling" (I think this was the default) as the graphics mode, distorts the font on the title screen in a similar way.

Also, if you press escape on the title screen, you'll get a non-working menu appearing...

Shadow1000

This was really well done. I loved the environment and wish the game would have been developed into a complete game. I realize that for a contest this was as much as someone can realistically do under such time constraints.

There is a lot of imaginative creativity in this game and it reminds me a bit of the movie Inception from 2010. I hope that this is just a teaser and the game is built up into at least a short to medium game!

SHADOW

xil

@morganw Thanks for extra testing :) I'll make sure I get the save and menu mistake fixed when I come back to this after the jam! I think I may have made a mistake as well setting the default to 'Bind to game scaling' so will make sure in future I just default it to start in a window as that seems to fix any issues with the background.

@SHADOW Thanks for playing dude, I really want to come back to this as I have the full story planned out and it should make a nice medium length game.

Cheeky addition:

There are 8 days left to vote for Memoriae in Adventure Jam 2016 and I'd very much appreciate it if you are able to take the time to play and vote. You'll need a GameJolt account but it's free to sign up :) http://jams.gamejolt.io/adventurejam2016/games/memoriae/150115

I'm sure some of the other AGS entries would also very much appreciate your votes as well if you have the time! I don't know the links to all of them but you can find all the games on this page:
http://jams.gamejolt.io/adventurejam2016/games

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk