Tropical Island Concept Art C&C

Started by Fred Five, Wed 03/12/2014 21:53:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Five

Hi!

I've been working on some different concepts for a castaway/wilderness survival* adventure taking place on the island where everyone seems to strand when shipwrecked.

The game will heavily focus on lonesomeness and the need for sustainability -water, fire, shelter etc. But all of it taking place in glorious retro graphics and in the classic point'n'click style we all love**

Comments and critique from both an art point of view, as well from a programmers point of view are most welcome!

(verbs are work in progress, so the verbs shown are templates stolen from Monkey Island 2)

*Zombies and/or undead living things not guaranteed
**Love perception may vary from one individual to another

Mandle

Ah, I hadn't seen this thread before I mailed you, only the one in questions forums. So let me say again that these backgrounds look incredible, and as you are planning on animating them, even more incredible.

One question: are you planning on a first-person or third-person view for the game?

Fred Five

Thanks a lot Mandle, and thank you for your kind mail!
Quote from: Mandle on Thu 04/12/2014 02:34:43
One question: are you planning on a first-person or third-person view for the game?
I'm definately going for the classic 3rd person POV for this game, as I feel 1st person POV is much more suited for creating a 3D game in Unity, the Unreal engine etc. (And in my opinion rather over-used and getting "old")

As of now I'm doing the research and related works part, alongside some different concept art just to get started. Writing up some story parts and doing alot of Puzzle Dependency ChartsTM.
I like to think of the game as a combination of:

-Monkey Island 1/2 (graphics, humour?)

-Lost In Blue(gameplay)

-Thimbleweed Park(parallaxing, HQ music and SFX, textures)

Also learning scripting (taking some programming courses at college to get into the C language), as this will be crucial to get the game I envision up and running.

-Fred  :)

Giraffadon

Love your art! :)

If there is anything I'd change...
It's going to be a pain to animate; did you keep the highlights as a separate layer
or are they flat?

selmiak

these look really great!

some C&C:
1st:
just great, nothing to critique

2nd:
a bit low on contrast. I mean the mountains in the background are a too bright and greyish.

3rd:
also great but there are some wicked stray pixels in the bottom left. Maybe make the white of the waves get a bit darker or more to the color of the sand towards the background.

Fred Five

Quote from: Giraffadon on Fri 05/12/2014 20:45:25
Love your art! :)

If there is anything I'd change...
It's going to be a pain to animate; did you keep the highlights as a separate layer
or are they flat?

Thanks a lot!

Well as they are only concepts, my intentions are not to use the actual images, but rather have them as inspiration for the images to come :)
But yes, I keep the different elements on separate layers in Photoshop.

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 05/12/2014 21:51:06
these look really great!

some C&C:
1st:
just great, nothing to critique

2nd:
a bit low on contrast. I mean the mountains in the background are a too bright and greyish.

3rd:
also great but there are some wicked stray pixels in the bottom left. Maybe make the white of the waves get a bit darker or more to the color of the sand towards the background.

Thanks so much for your critique!

1st. This is quite a bit newer than the rest. So no C&C must mean I'm getting better ;)
2nd. Yup, you're right. If I was going to use this image as an actual room, I believe I would remove the large (/WAY to huge) background cliff.
3rd. The wicked stray pixels has an explanation attached to it ;) When LucasFilm Games did their background art for MI2 (cirrect me if I'm wrong), I believe they where actually handdrawn and scanned into the game. The low resolution of the era off course creating a pixelated image.
I use a digitized workflow to create the images. I create them high res approx. 3200x2000 px (as LucasFilm did) and res the down using an image interpolation technique.
-SO to address the wicked pixels, it is my signature from the high res version which did not survive the downscaling ;)

-Fred   

selmiak

Quote from: Fred Five on Sat 06/12/2014 08:14:14
-SO to address the wicked pixels, it is my signature from the high res version which did not survive the downscaling ;)

-Fred   

No way this reads Fred! 8-0

Fred Five

Quote from: selmiak on Sat 06/12/2014 08:35:18
Quote from: Fred Five on Sat 06/12/2014 08:14:14

-Fred   

No way this reads Fred! 8-0

Not supposed to be read. I just forgot to remove it when I downscaled, and of course a signature is not supposed to be in background for a room.
Take a look at the original :)

selmiak

okay, okay, I can read this, but why don't you show us the whole pic in full size now  (roll)  :-D 8-)

Monsieur OUXX

Very, very nice. Good work on colors.

Make sure you save pixel-art as .png files, though. Jpeg is terrible for that kind of stuff.

Don't hesitate to rework a few pixels here and there after downscaling, to make the art look crispier. Two examples: 1) the palm leaves in the first picture: some of them are very sharp and almost black, some of them are very smooth and almost transparent. 2) The mountain's outline in the top-left corner of the second image : Toom uch antialisaing imo.

In the second image, the horizon line (the line where the sky meets the sea) seems to be exactly in the same place as where the cliff meets the water. That's not correct, the horizon line should always be higher.

Fred Five

@Monsieur OUXX

Thanks a lot for your comments, all of them making sense. I will keep it in mind and try to fix the images :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk