Guard Duty - Available for Windows, Mac and Linux!

Started by Chicky, Sun 07/12/2014 09:52:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Danvzare

Wow, I love that artstyle. It reminds me slightly of the artstyle on the Discworld games.

I look forward to seeing this progress. :)

Matti

Great new screenies, this looks very exciting! Keep it up.

dactylopus

This looks very interesting.

I love all of the different effects added to the screenshots.  They look great!

As far as the background art itself, I'm partial to the second one with the castle wall.

Squall_Leonheart

Oh mine, this seems a masterpiece.
I'm very surprised about the animation of the man who hoes the ground.
The style of your backgrounds is very likeable to see and the characters colours appear very well on it.
Good job and good luck!

Chicky

Thank you for your words of encouragement! Since my last post I've finished the artwork for one of the largest locations in the game, which i'm really happy with.

AnasAbdin: Thanks! GnG is pretty rad (nod)
Gameboy: Ta dude, in your defence I haven't updated this thread as much as I could have.
Jack: His digging is looping in the gif, missing one of the animations but I think he deserves a break, he is blind in one eye! Haha, thanks though. My coder Andy worked wonders with the speech bubbles.
Danvzare: Hurrah! Discworld is a big influence, there are more than a couple of homages. I've tried to keep Guard Duty's puzzles on the more logical side of things though ;)
Matti: Thanks for the support :)
dactylopus: Thanks, most of the environment effects are created in Adobe After Effects with the colours limited to keep with the retro aesthetic. I was actually considering adding some more details to the Castle Wall, but worried it might get a bit too busy.
Squall_Leonheart: Thank you, every character in the game will have at least two idle animations, most with many more!

Here's one of the backgrounds I was streaming on Twitch, the entrance to the enchanted woods. It's a fairly basic one but will feature an interesting character for the focal point, which I have yet to draw :-D

SilverSpook

Looks awesome!  Is that some sort of dinosaur skeleton on the ground, center-left?

selmiak

looks more like a deer to me.
The gfx lool nice but also like some sloppily upscaled pixelart. Why would you do that?

Chicky

Thanks SilverSpook, selmiak's right it's meant to a deer of sorts.

selmiak: Ahhhh! That's the last thing I want people to think! I draw everything at 320x240, so no upscaling there. I upload the screenshots at 2x the original res using nearest neighbour, but do put a slight blur on the image afterwards to soften the edges slightly. I find pixel art looks a bit sharp when viewed in a small screenshot, personal preference I guess.

Or maybe it's the blur I added to the far background hills? I'm still not sure if I should keep that, I have a version without the blur too.

Thanks anyway, let's discuss this over PM :)

mercenario

This looks amazing, the art reminds me a lot to Simon The Sorcerer one of my all time favorites, I'll be on Guard Duty until the release date.

Chicky

Thanks mercenario, StS is a beautiful game, it's one of my many artistic influences :=

I recorded my background making process recently, this one took me about 12 hours or so. Yikes!

[embed=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw81opD14rY[/embed]

Gradir

This looks absolutely amazing!!

Chicky

Thanks Gradir :)

UPDATE!

Progress is going really well, I've dropped my hours at work so I have a WHOLE EXTRA DAY (!!) to work on Guard Duty each week.

AdventureX was amazing, I took our current build along with me and the reception to the game was fantastic, really encouraging stuff. Apparently I need to post more updates though... :)

Anyway, on that note:

I'm working on making a small video showcasing some early gameplay, I've been having tonnes of fun creating all sorts of quirky folley sounds for the game. I'm especially happy with the GUI sounds and a neat gate mechanism sound I created using my squeaky chair, a metal tin lid and a wooden box. You'll get to hear some of this stuff in the next thread update, for now here's the gate mechanism:

https://soundcloud.com/sick-chicken-studios/guard-duty-wheel-crank-sfx

I've also recorded 100 or so lines of dialogue for Tondbert, I decided to have a go at voicing him myself and somehow, people really like it. So you've got that to look forward to. Here's a teaser, let me know what you think :)

https://soundcloud.com/sick-chicken-studios/thebusybarmaid-guard-duty-vo-test

Also, here's an animation from one of the Sci-Fi sequences that didn't get much love on Twitter. So maybe you guys will appreciate it more ;-D

(Click image for animation, imgur converted it to a video, so I can't embed)

I've also been working on getting the game to a full playable state, from start to finish. I've got most of the art finished for the first Act, but am using good ol' programmer art for the rest of the game.

(work in progress)

(work in progress)

I also created this neat-o high resolution logo for the game. I'm not sure if it needs more details but I got fed up with using Adobe Illustrator so called it quits here.

So that's about it for now. I'll do another update once the gameplay teaser is finished, I have a really good musician on board so you'll get to hear a bit of that too :)

Thanks for all the support so far!

cat

I loved what you showed at AdventureX! Looking forward to the finished game :)

Cassiebsg

Loving it! (nod)
I'm not sure what is happening at the end of the scene there, but up until then looks great. (nod)

Ooohhh... nice game voice!

The logo looks nice, though a bit too big. Not sure if it's the size, but I find it hard to read, specially the G... if I didn't knew what was written in there I might not have gotten it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

How exciting, best of luck to you! ;-D

Chicky

Cat: Thanks again! I wish AdventureX was every weekend, haha ;-D

Cassiebsg: Thanks :) I'll have a think about the logo and see if it needs changing. I'd already made a low res version for the main menu, which is animated so that could take a bit of work to change :P

Blondbraid: Ta! I need all the luck I can get :=

Here's something I've been working on recently: A basic rope tether system using AGS's dynamic sprite and draw functions. I don't normally code this complex stuff (Andy does) so It's a bit rough.

https://youtu.be/xGTUhbx0u6c

xil

Quote from: Chicky on Thu 15/12/2016 19:02:17
Here's something I've been working on recently: A basic rope tether system using AGS's dynamic sprite and draw functions. I don't normally code this complex stuff (Andy does) so It's a bit rough.

https://youtu.be/xGTUhbx0u6c

That is awesome mate!
Calico Reverie - Independent Game Development, Pixel Art & Other Stuff
Games: Mi - Starlit Grave - IAMJASON - Aractaur - blind to siberia - Wrong Channel - Memoriae - Point Of No Return

Haggis

QuoteThat is awesome

I concur - please tell me the goat features throughout the game. GOAT.

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Stupot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk