Guard Duty - Available for Windows, Mac and Linux!

Started by Chicky, Sun 07/12/2014 09:52:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

Haha, thanks guys :) I *could* put together a slower version but I'm missing the footage for the start of drawing the kart. I'll try to remember to record my next animation proceess for ya'll.

Really happy you like it though, I'll definitely put out a few more as time goes by.

Pretty cool that you've set it as your background AnasAbdin! I'm honoured :D

Oh and the avatar... she's actually a TV commercial actress. I've had it so long it would feel weird to change it now! It's funny because I originally picked it because the gif was crazy high quality compared to others at the time, despite that I've had to hunt out the source and remake it twice since at various resolutions.

I'll keep you posted on the updates!

Chicky

Hey guys!

Progress on the game is moving along nicely, I've been churning out backgrounds, adding new animations and generally working at 110% :-D

I have another episode of our 'Behind the Gates' series for you. I decided to keep this episode a little shorter and with a faster pace. Less waffle more content! In this episode we run through the process of revamping Tondbert's animation set, adding fake AI to chickens and take a look at a newly added location.

You can watch Episode Two at the link below:

selmiak

That  frog looks funny and cool! He should be on that poster too :)
Yay for chickens, chicky! :-D

Chicky

Thanks Selmiak, It would be pretty neat if he was ;-D

Here's one of the new locations I've recently added (was also featured at the end of that video), the Wrinklewood Forge:

Click'd

That smith is hardcore, touching hot metal with his bare hand.

Hobo

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Sat 09/09/2017 21:45:51
That smith is hardcore, touching hot metal with his bare hand.
Interesting, I actually thought he was banging at a cold sword, :) hot metal would probably have some more color to it.

Great background, but it would be be even more incredible, if you'd add a bit of smoke, occasional sparks and more soot to the place. Guard Duty is defenitely one of my most anticipated AGS games, glad to see that it's progressing nicely.

Chicky

I was actually planning on having the end of the sword glow, but forgot to add it!

Thanks Hobo, I will definitely be adding some smoke, a couple whisps of flame and some sparks when the Blacksmith hits the blade. Happy to hear you're looking forward to release, here's hoping we don't disappoint :)

Dave Gilbert

So the player character gets a SHIRT eventually. Good to know!

(also: lovely work!)

Chicky

Thanks Dave, yeah he does! Because he starts shirtless I end up looking at that outfit when testing the later parts of the game (having not been through the trigger to change the views). I think in my last video he was walking around in the rain shirtless, which may have confused some viewers :)

Dave Gilbert

Heh. Resonance had the same issue. Ed spent 90% of testing in his boxer shorts.

edit: What we eventually did was add a keyboard command that changed the character's view number to the correct one. It helped when creating screenshots and things!

Chicky

Neat :) Tondbert wears Long Johns because it can get mighty cold in the Castle spire. I think it's about time I added some sort of keyboard debug menu for variables and views and such, would definitely help with screenshots and general testing.

Blondbraid

The latest GIF looks cool!
Plus I immediately came to think about this scene from the Simpsons! (laugh)

Chicky

Hello again!

I'm really bad at keeping this thread updated, far too busy making the game! :-D

Anyway, since my last post I've released a new 'Behind the Gates' video. This one
takes a look back at AdventureX and shows some of my 3D - Pixelart workflow that
I've been using for creating one of the animated SciFi scenes, the one seen in this gif:

Also, here's Guard Duty's stand at AdventureX :)

You can watch the video at the link below:

--

I've also recently written a new Development Retrospective post over on my
Tumblr blog, talking about the move to full time development and a few of my thoughts
on how this has affected development:

https://sickchickenstudios.tumblr.com/post/170264939506/guard-duty-a-development-retrospective-devblog

---

On top of that I have a few updated screenshots for you! The game is always improving, sometimes
these changes are minor and some are a bit more significant. Can you spot the differences?
(hint: our SciFi antagonist has had a bit of an overhaul!)

Here's the updated screenshots from our latest press pack:

---

Oh, we also have a new shiny logo for the game. I'm still tweaking it but I think it gets
the theme of the game across a lot better than the last:

--

Last but not least, SilverSpook recently invited me onto his podcast! We chat about gamedev
and cyberpunk 8-)

--

Phew! That really was a lot of stuff, I apologise to your internet provider. Hopefully the shiny new screenshots are worth the download :)

Thanks again for all of your support, be it on twitter, facebook, discord or here on the forums. We couldn't do this without you guys!

Please follow along on Twitter or Facebook if you'd like more regular updates on the game.

Cheers!

Matti

This looks quite epic! :shocked:

Keep up the good work!

CaptainD

Great to see this coming together so well.

It's going to be EPIC.

Tabata

WOW!  This is looking really cool!
That's the way to go! (nod)

BRAVO!

Creamy

These updates are always a pleasure to read/watch. They make the wait delicious. Glad to hear that things take shape. I hope you won't go BANANAS from the work.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk