Indiana Jones and the Gold of Gengis Khan (Indiana Jones e l'Oro di Gengis Khan)

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Sun 14/12/2014 22:35:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitty Trouble

Spoiler
I screenshotted them, I was just wondering if there was logic to the order besides guess and check.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Don't know if there's logic about it,
Spoiler
I random clicked, nothing... then did one combination, nothing... then a 2nd and worked. So didn't use more time thinking about it... ;)
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: chaosgodkarl on Thu 25/12/2014 19:16:30
Spoiler
I screenshotted them, I was just wondering if there was logic to the order besides guess and check.
[close]

Spoiler
I think it's something about the top three important attributes of a warrior. By which I mean the order in which the three virtues are important.

Which I guessed to be (SPOILER ALERT: CONTAINS SOLUTION):

Spoiler
Ability...Bravery...Strength and was shocked when I got it right on the first try. Made me feel all Indiana Jonesy inside (laugh)
[close]
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

I'm still stuck with the seagull.
Spoiler

I've mixed bits of worm with pink and red bread balls. Then I've given them to the seagull.
BUT: The seaugull eats it. Good. But I have stricly no clue of how the colors matter. And how I get the seagull to follow me. It's happy to eat the bread, full stop. There is no hint of what should be done next.
A general critics: There is no hint either of why the bird does not eat the bread as long as it has no worm in it, or why Indy won't mix the worm with the "uncolored" bread.
[close]

Cassiebsg

Seagul hint:

Spoiler

Again, when in doubt try everything... ;)
Spoiler

You can do other mixes with the flowers... mix away! :)
[close]
[close]

Monsieur OUXX

OK I've finished the game but I really think there are a lot of interactions missing. The mere fact that the order in which you use the objects onto one another is a big problem (use A onto B does not give the same result as use B onto A).

Gabarts

In fact that's a programming bug I wasn't able to solve, even if I've tried many solutions. I'll give the source code to AprilSkies in the future, maybe there is some hidden mistake in the code. That problem is when you have all the feed and crumbs and flowers and return no interactions... I know. Unfortunately there's no solution for that bug at the moment.

Dropped Monocle Games

Man, I was playing this last night and got stuck in the first room... I can't find the wallet anywhere!

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Soxbrooker on Sun 28/12/2014 11:23:51
I can't find the wallet anywhere!

Pixel hunting:
Spoiler

Look very very closely around the bedroom...
Extra hint:
Spoiler

...window.
[close]
[close]

Crosco

Quote from: Soxbrooker on Sun 28/12/2014 11:23:51
Man, I was playing this last night and got stuck in the first room... I can't find the wallet anywhere!

Puuuh, thought I was the only one because nobody complained. :-[

EDIT:
Argh, Monsieur OUXX already complained in the first posting. I missed that because I just read the "game finsihed" thread and didn't realized that this was another thread listed in "unread posts".

Jen_78

A pixel hunt on the very first screen of the game?  No thanks.  Deleting this game.  Sad because I was really excited to play a new Indy game.  Pixel hunts ruin games.

Radiant

Quote from: Jen_78 on Tue 30/12/2014 07:50:14
A pixel hunt on the very first screen of the game?  No thanks.  Deleting this game.  Sad because I was really excited to play a new Indy game.  Pixel hunts ruin games.

I'm seconding this. Sorry, guys.

Gabarts

If you don't like pixel hunting just don't play the game and please don't comment. Hidden book items in Last Crusade Venice were pixel hunting and they were basic items for the Nazi guards and for the plane. Nowadays adventure games are too easy to play and with many many hints.

@Jen_78

I see you are newbie. With 0 experience in AGS. Before leaving futile comments like that, respect the work of other people and think.

Gabarts

Maybe in next version I can put a big wallet attached behind the bookcase, or maybe in the fridge... I bet is easier to find without wasting much time...

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Gabarts on Tue 06/01/2015 15:45:47
Maybe in next version I can put a big wallet attached behind the bookcase, or maybe in the fridge...

Hey Gabbarts, I understand that it is very difficult to hear such rough critics about a game you spent so much effort into making. I'm not sure how I would react if someone said "I'm just going to uninstall this game" about my baby.
It's true, Last Crusade had a lot of pixel-hunting. So, if you made the choice of including pixel-hunting by design into your game, because you think pixel-hunting is cool, then keep it like that.
But if you're just trying to mimic LC, then you need to understand that most people consider that pixel hunting was bad design choice even at the time. Pixel-hunting is the bad part of point n' clicks.
You don't need to have pixel-hunting to make the game difficult. Just add more interactions and subtle hints, and I guarantee you can make it more difficult, longer, and more satisfying when the player solves the puzzles! This way everyone will love you game and your game will have extra value because it will take some time and (non-irritating) thinking to complete.

Gabarts

No, you are totally wrong.

First, I don't care at all about negative comments.
Second, I really didn't spend effort in making this. I mean, at the beginning maybe... was very hard to understand the coding part and the software.

But it's a known attitude of noobie people leaving negative comments without critics and clear explanations on how to improve and solve the mistakes. That guy is one of them, people with few abilities...

If I've used the almost invisible pixel hunting (like I've explained in my very first posts) is because I was thinking about the original Indy when making my game and then went on completing the game without care too much attention. It's also because I didn't know anything about coding and made all by myself.

I had many other projects of mine during the making of this adventure, so didn't pay much attention to all details and reactions... but now something is been improved thanks to the good critics. As for the bad ones, I repeat, is a noobie attitude.

Cassiebsg

I really don't want to add more wood to the fire but...
Spoiler

Why you dissing a new member who criticizes that he/she doesn't like pixel hunting? You have absolutely no knowledge of who this person is. What makes one not be a "noobie" and have the right to speak it's mind? Does one need to have made a game or two, before his or hers opinion can be valid?

I don't like pixel hunting either, had you not a overhotspot "help", then I would have gave up on it also, or waited for a walktrough. Even with the overhotspot, it's hard to spot the stuff when they aren't bigger than a pixel or two.
I found the wallet by pixel hunting, cause I wasn't allowed to leave the house without it, had I been allowed I wouldn't have found it.
The red flower was "oh, there's something there" and the other one I was going crazy to find it, and only cause I knew there were two cause Monsieur OUXX had mentioned it, so I knew I needed one more flower.

Adventure games are more enjoyable if you don't need to comb for stuff, and rather make you use your brain matter to solve the problems (like the trunk puzzle).

Just take the criticism as "do less pixel hunting, and more intelligent puzzles" and we'll all be more happy.
Doesn't mean you can't hide stuff, but then give clues either visual, spoken or sound related, so you can help the player to find the stuff. Could be for instance a timer, that if a person has checked all obvious hotspots and some not so obvious, but after some time has not stumble into that spot, then Indy could have said something like "I remember there was something around the window..." or "uhm... this flower smells familiar" (after the player passes by it for the 10th time without noticing it...

Now go make part 2, cause we're waiting for it! :)
[close]

Gabarts

Right...

But I was clear since the beginning... I said that this was like a test to learn AGS. I'm a beginner with coding and programming stuff etc etc... and pixel hunting was a direct consequence of this.

Then someone helped me with coding, learned something new and tried to improve my game. And slowly I'm trying to make the game cleaner and playable.

But the problem is another. When I play a game and I don't like it, I don't go in a forum or the game site, complaining and saying this is bad, no thanks, deleting the game... I just delete the game. It's different instead if I try to give some active suggestions. In another italian forum I received lot of corrections and suggestions (and they were clearly founding bugs in the game) but they never said: Ok, this is shit, deleted!

Sorry but this is kinda like youtube videos, with plenty of kids commenting and offending each other.

Snarky

I always think that "constructive criticism" is more a matter of attitude for the person being criticized than of the criticism itself.

Quote from: Jen_78 on Tue 30/12/2014 07:50:14

... is a pretty harsh comment (and it's just a fact of life that if you create something and make it public, some people are going to say harsh things about it), but there's plenty of information in there to learn from, if you're open to it:

-The Indy theme is appealing
-The thing you need to find on the first screen (a wallet, is it?) is difficult to locate for (as it turns out) many players
-Players REALLY HATE pixel hunts
-The start of the game is crucial to hook players. You might get away with an unfair puzzle later in the game, but if the first impression is negative, potential players will often just give up

Anyway, if this problem is just because it was your first try and you weren't being that careful about it, what do you care? You made a game that has problems because you didn't try that hard, and so some people don't like it. Why should that offend you?

Monsieur OUXX

I think we should stop this conversation now : gabarts has given his reasons and explained his reactions. My only concern is that if we continue the thread will get locked by moderators, and players will never be able to get hints and tips for the game :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk