dialogCounter not working properly

Started by Danae, Mon 15/12/2014 11:28:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Danae

Hi,

I'm trying to create a conversation in my game. When first spoken to, I want 'Sister' to say her first line of text (changed to 'Zero' for now). After she's said 'Zero' once, I want her to say 'Not zero' the second time she is spoken to (and any time after that).

I'm following this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj1N6nr5_Ls&channel=densming

I've even typed out the code exactly as it is in the tutorial (replacing the character's names) and it hasn't worked.

I've created a global variable called 'dialogCounter' and set it to '0'.

I've also typed

Code: ags
dialogCounter = 0;

at the top of my script file (same place as in the tutorial).

Here is the code for the conversation:

@2 
    if (dialogCounter == 0) {
      cSister.Say("Zero");
      dialogCounter++;
    }
    else {
       cSister.Say("Not zero");
    }
stop

Instead of saying 'Not zero' the second time around like I want her to, she just keeps saying 'Zero'. If I change 'else' to 'if (dialogCounter > 0)', she says 'Zero' immediately followed by 'Not zero' (I don't want her to say 'Not zero' until she's spoken to a second time). 'else if (dialogCounter > 0)' also doesn't work.

Where am I going wrong?  :confused:

Thanks to anyone who can help. 

Slasher

Have you put

dialogCounter = 0;

in the Dialog startup entry point of the dialog?

Also, you could replace stop with return.

Time for you to rethink  (roll)

Danae

Quote from: slasher on Mon 15/12/2014 14:24:24
Have you put

dialogCounter = 0;

in the Dialog startup entry point of the dialog?

Also, you could replace stop with return.

Time for you to rethink  (roll)

Hi Slasher, thanks for your reply.

I understand where I've gone wrong, and I feel like an idiot now lol :P I just assumed the dialogCounter = 0; had to be placed in the dialog start-up entry point for whatever reason... since the guy in the tutorial put it there I assumed it was necessary. But I actually understand the purpose it serves now. It was resetting the dialogCounter back to 0 whenever I started up the conversation. Makes total sense now!!

Slasher

Hi,

Glad you got it sorted and of course: It will always be set to o as you so rightly say ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk