AGS 3.3.3

Started by Crimson Wizard, Mon 15/12/2014 18:36:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Problem

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 01/06/2015 10:00:09
I think it is technically possible, because this change does not depend on anything else.
However, I would like to know if someone already tried compiling big games in 3.4.0 and if its safe. I did not have a chance to test this, because I do not have projects so big.

What exactly do you consider a big project? We're developing Rogue State with 3.4.0, and since it's a strategy/management game it has quite a lot of custom variables, structs, arrays, extender functions etc. It compiles and runs fine.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Problem on Mon 01/06/2015 10:47:44
What exactly do you consider a big project? We're developing Rogue State with 3.4.0, and since it's a strategy/management game it has quite a lot of custom variables, structs, arrays, extender functions etc. It compiles and runs fine.
The project that failed to compile before the symbols limit removal, and compiled after :).

Problem

Then it's not big enough. It has grown considerably after we switched to 3.4.0, but I guess this doesn't help. ;)

AGD2

QuoteI think it is technically possible, because this change does not depend on anything else.

That would be really handy. The symbol thing is the only issue that would force us into using 3.4.0 over 3.3.3 for Mage's Initiation, and considering that the game is almost complete, I'd prefer to release it with the stable 3.3.3, rather than an alpha of 3.4.0.

QuoteHowever, I would like to know if someone already tried compiling big games in 3.4.0 and if its safe. I did not have a chance to test this, because I do not have projects so big.

I have compiled Mages Initiation in 3.4.0 and it *compiles* just fine without the "too many symbols error", but I haven't been able to test very far in actually playing the game, because the ResetRoom(); crash (which i posted in the 3.4.0 Alpha thread) constantly nukes the game. From what I have seen it appears to work as intended, though.

Crimson Wizard

I recall you were also asking about Papagayo support for 3.4.0, which Gurok added recently. Will you also need this for your game? Because 3.3 does not have it.

I am going to fix the problems in 3.4.0 you mentioned very soon. I wonder what path is more convenient.

AGD2

Yes, if it doesn't mess anything else up, then Papagayo support would also be good.... very, very good, actually... if it could also be included in the 3.3.3 patch!

As to which path is more convenient, personally, I'd find the 3.3.3 the most immediately convenient. Nevertheless, I'll continue to test the game thoroughly in 3.4.0 as well once a new update for that is released. Thanks!

AGD2

I'm using a lot of .Think messages in the code, and one thing that would help in 3.3.3 is this: currently, in your rep_exec_always script, if you do something like:

if(player.Speaking==true) player.Transparency=100;

... the code will only be triggered by player.Say(); instances and not player.Think(); instances.

Given that these are both very similar, .Think should also be recognized. Either that, or add a new .Thinking variable (which may be the better option, since it'd be more flexible).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk