Gibbous - A Cthulhu Adventure

Started by Mr Underhill, Wed 17/12/2014 10:39:56

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Clever!  You've halved the amount of eye / eyebrow animations you need for this character!

Even thus rough sketch looks beautifully animated.

Galen

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Thu 18/12/2014 09:25:53
@Gribbler: the font used is The Secret Font Of Monkey Island, which from what I can tell is fan-made and freely available. I have no idea if Lucas have any issues with it, I hope we won't find out the hard way! :P Worst come to worst, we'll probably go with a similar, uncopyrighted font. If anyone more law-savvy can enlighten us, I'd highly appreciate it.

Given that the bottom of the page says:
QuoteThe Secret of Monkey Island font © 1990 Lucasfilm Games
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge font © 1991 LucasArts
I would have to imagine it is a direct pixel-for-pixel recreation and thus no fair use. Heck, even if it wasn't it still doesn't give explicit commerical usage rights (or any usage rights beyond the implicit ones that come from them offering the download) which you really should be checking for. Beyond that... it looks like the game is in significantly higher resolution than that font. I'm really not a fan of super low res fonts designed for 320x200 in games in higher resolutions. Admittedly though, that's entirely my preference. I just like nice smooth fonts to go with nice smooth graphics.

Still, the game is looking pretty swell. I'm liking the play on Innsmouth on the sign.

Mr Underhill

Quote from: Galen on Wed 14/01/2015 22:07:44
Quote from: Mr Underhill on Thu 18/12/2014 09:25:53
@Gribbler: the font used is The Secret Font Of Monkey Island, which from what I can tell is fan-made and freely available. I have no idea if Lucas have any issues with it, I hope we won't find out the hard way! :P Worst come to worst, we'll probably go with a similar, uncopyrighted font. If anyone more law-savvy can enlighten us, I'd highly appreciate it.

Given that the bottom of the page says:
QuoteThe Secret of Monkey Island font © 1990 Lucasfilm Games
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge font © 1991 LucasArts
I would have to imagine it is a direct pixel-for-pixel recreation and thus no fair use. Heck, even if it wasn't it still doesn't give explicit commerical usage rights (or any usage rights beyond the implicit ones that come from them offering the download) which you really should be checking for. Beyond that... it looks like the game is in significantly higher resolution than that font. I'm really not a fan of super low res fonts designed for 320x200 in games in higher resolutions. Admittedly though, that's entirely my preference. I just like nice smooth fonts to go with nice smooth graphics.

Still, the game is looking pretty swell. I'm liking the play on Innsmouth on the sign.

Wow, alright, definitely going to have to look deeper into this, thanks for the headsup! Thankfully, the font switching itself is really a couple of clicks. Gonna be browsing through a loooot of fonts these next days...

P.S. It won't be featured in the demo, but you'll definitely be visiting Fishmouth in the game if the stars are right and our Kickstarter campaign gets funded :-D

Mr Underhill

Hey everyone! Here's a sped up animation process video of an angel that will be making a very short in-game appearance. It was initially 4 hrs long, compressed and edited down to a few minutes. Check it out if you're into/curious about frame by frame animation.

AnasAbdin

Good work Mr Underhill. Shows how hard to animate a few milliseconds. Subscribed, liked and always keeping an eye (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Awesome work! 8-0
Thanks for sharing! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mr Underhill

Thank you guys! We're now cleaning up and coloring the animation, so I'll be back soon with a process video of that, plus the final gif :)

Mr Underhill

Hey folks, I'm back with the second and final part of the animation video process. In this one, Cami cleans up and colors the li'l angel. Roughly 2 hours sped up and edited down to less than 3 minutes.

Here's a quick gif of the whole process:

...and you can watch the entire video below.

Demo's coming along fine, we're hoping May's the month we'll be unleashing it unto the world.

selmiak

Quote from: Mr Underhill on Fri 23/01/2015 10:36:06

...and you can watch the entire video below.

QuoteUnfortunately, this video is not available in your country because it could contain music from UMG

the gif is interesting already! Good luck and keep it up!

Mr Underhill

Woah, that is so effing weird. It uses Waltz 2 by Dmitri Shostakovich, which is supposed to be in the public domain... Well, that sure is odd.

Fitz

Wow, this game's going to look awesome. Watching the timelapse was both educational, inspiring AND humbling.

Mr Underhill

Thanks Fitz, I appreciate it!

Here's another little animation we've cranked out for the game. Kitteh does this when she's been idle for a while:

Cassiebsg

Cool! It takes a cat to know what's really important in life. (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

that's a smooth ass animation! I like how the cat even stretches the paw to relax :)

Creamy

It's not the art style you'd expect from a Cthulhu Adventure but it looks great.
Count me in.

Mr Underhill

We really don't want to hold back on animation, so we slowly dropped most of the cutout stuff so it looks smoother.

Quote from: Creamy on Tue 03/02/2015 20:28:34
It's not the art style you'd expect from a Cthulhu Adventure but it looks great.
Count me in.

Yeah, it's not a "serious" approach to HP's work, but we want to treat it with the respect it deserves and just have some fun with the Mythos. I just love stuff like Hey There Cthulhu or Shoggoth on the Roof. That's not to say Cthulhu will be anything but the ominous, ubiquitous presence he's supposed to be. Muhahaha *lighting, thunderclap*

Mr Underhill

Hey everyone!

So, as we press on with development, we're thinking of offering a very limited run of a 3dprinted, hand-painted Kitteh. This is just a prototype and likely doesn't reflect the final product (some yog-sothothery to be added later!). So,

WORK IN PROGRESS:

PRINTED:

PAINTING IN PROGRESS!

Monsieur OUXX

I have mixed feelings about this mix of Lovecraftian horror and cuteness overdose. By essence, Cthulhu is the very opposite of a cartoon.
Yet, it all looks lovely and perfectly crafted, which makes me forget all my criticizing.

Mr Underhill

Yeah, to be honest, so did we at first! :smiley: Anyways, you'll be able to get a feel of what the game's like pretty soon, when the demo's done.

Fitz

A cute/devilish mascot -- good idea for a limited edition! I had a similar idea for my first game, but apart from making a prototype it never went anywhere. Kitteh, though, looks pro.

Looking forward to the demo!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk