object modelling classes

Started by .rhavin, Sat 20/12/2014 23:47:06

Previous topic - Next topic

.rhavin

dont flame if this is explained anywhere, i didnt find it and just stumbled upon this engine a few days ago ;)

I have a couple of scenarios where item a combined with item b will result in items c [d, e …]. as i find it rather complicated to do this all in the item functions, i had the idea to do this in a global event function and used the
Code: ags
UnhandledEvent(LocationType type, CursorMode mode, InventoryItem *clickedItem)
approach.

My idea is to basically do the following:

• define a something (struct?) holding the following information:
- item1
- item2
- an array of resulting items
- some special flags defining prerequisites met
- optional pointer to a fuction called if item has been succesfully created

• define another something consisting of
- an array of above somethings
- a function that lets me define relations
- a function that gets called by the event and that checks
  - if a relation between both items already definded?
  - if yes, are the prerequisits met?
  - if yes, remove items from inventory, create new ones
  - probably call function

is this possible with the scripting language or should i do another approach?

Mandle

What you are suggesting is certainly possible. I personally would still do it the simple way with seperate functions for each combination (and each with a "//egg + nest = egg in nest" kind of notation for easy script searching).

But I guess if you have a huge number of possible combinations and outcomes, like 50 or 100 or more then building an array which works like a map or flowchart to handle it all is a smart way to go.

As for the actual coding suggestions I will let someone else tackle that daunting task ;)

.rhavin

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 21/12/2014 01:04:21But I guess if you have a huge number of possible combinations and outcomes, like 50 or 100 or more then building an array which works like a map or flowchart to handle it all is a smart way to go.

The biggest part of the game will be about combinations, i think ~50 is a good guess. BTW this is such a basic functionallity, it probalbly should be part of he engine itself. :)â€"?
Does this outline requires that i have to wait for managed structs (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=51050.0) to become available?

from "new" in the manual:

QuoteCurrently dynamic arrays are supported as global and local variables, but you can't put one inside a struct. Also, at present you can create arrays of basic types (int, char, etc) and of built-in types (String, Character, etc) but not of custom structs.

is this going to be changed … soon?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: .rhavin on Mon 22/12/2014 11:13:58from "new" in the manual:

QuoteCurrently dynamic arrays are supported as global and local variables, but you can't put one inside a struct. Also, at present you can create arrays of basic types (int, char, etc) and of built-in types (String, Character, etc) but not of custom structs.

is this going to be changed … soon?

This is one of the primary tasks we set for the 3.4.0 release, and I hope we'll accomplish it. I can't tell how fast though.
This task also implies nested managed structs (managed object references inside other managed structs).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk