Until I Have You - (MAGS December Entry)

Started by Dualnames, Thu 01/01/2015 23:54:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Introduction:

Until I Have You, is a story driven, fast paced, retro aesthetic platformer. Sporting a weird interface, it's a game based on player skill, the better you are at it, the more impressive you can be. While you'll end up dying an awful lot, I hope you do march on, and beat this. It may be weird at first, but I find it challenging rather than annoying. This is only a taste of more to come.

Team:
- James Spanos (Dualnames): Coding, Design, Music
- Andrea Ferrara (AprilSkies): Artwork, Animation, Design
- Dave Seaman (CaptainD): Sound Effects
- aikex222, Jim Reed, Mandle, selmiak, Ghost: Beta Testing

Features:
- Cyberpunk Theme
- 8-bit Sound Effects
- Chiptunish Music
- Supposedly Innovative Controls
- 8 Levels To Beat
- Boss Fights
- Cinematic Scenes
- Slow Motion
- Parallax

DOWNLOAD by CLICKING HERE

Most likely to see a lot :P

Epilogue:

Alright, while I refrained from using the lighting engine on this, even though I started production of the lighting engine on November 29th, this was created entirely from 9th of December till 1st of January. Originally craving an idea to create a videogame that features Boss fights for the past 2 months, and finally doing so feels incredibly nice. Grim told me when I released Go North, a joke game, in a disappointing manner, that he was actually expecting that it was a game, I actually put effort into. Game design has been something I gave up to about a year ago, and slowly getting to write more stuff about videogames, I forced myself into game design as well. And this is what I've come up with, and while I'm seriously thinking of taking this places, perhaps AGS isn't even the proper engine for this, I do hope you enjoy this small portion of a game, which works more like a demo/prototype.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

CaptainD

Congrats Jim!

I will forever be useless at this game (I blame my useless laptop though), but it's still very cool.  The SFX are of course wonderful :P

Really this game is very, very slick.  Kudos to you and Andrea for creating this Turricanesque slice of cyberpunk.

Stupot

Looks freakin awesome guys. I'm having myself a MAGS day today.

shaun9991

Wow, this is impressive. Such innovative use of AGS, the gameplay is very fun. And those graphics, oh my god. AprilSkies, you are the man! Great atmosphere and sound too.
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

LostTrainDude

Ah! My eyes bleed joy and old school frustration for this title! :-D

...But, don't get me wrong, it's that kind of frustration that makes you want to be good at this, not the one that makes you ragequit! (laugh)
Needless to say: excellent use of AGS!

Amazing graphics and mood, I also love the use of parallax. Can't wait to see where this is going :D
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Cassiebsg

Great game. (laugh)
But... I'm useless at platformers... where are the cheat cheats? Cause I want to get to the end of the story and "save?" the girl! (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

miguel

QuoteAprilSkies, you are the man!
Yeah, right.

Fantastic game guys, congrats!

Spoiler
The sound does stutter a lot when I die and restart, it affects gameplay. My PC is pretty old, so I guess that's the reason.
[close]
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Chicky

Haha Dualnames, this is so awesomely frustrating. I'm absolutely terrible! I kept getting twitch impulses in my hand causing it to freak out every few retries.

I love the artwork and sound, the intro was super cyberpunk := All in a month - crazy!

abstauber

Wow, it looks and sounds amazing. Yet again a terrific effort for one month.

I really want this to be entertaining, but unfortunately I struggle a lot with the controls... (this would be soooo much easier with classic controls) Anyway I beat the first two levels, yay :)

arj0n

Nice, feels like a hybrid between a regular platformer and an 'endless runner'.
But the controls... seems I can't get used to it well enough not to die so many times out of all tries :( So gave up after almost beating L2.

Nice game though, and always love it when a non-adventure game pops up in the running mags series (still remember andrea's team's racing game)

Dualnames

Quote from: miguel on Fri 02/01/2015 16:22:51
QuoteAprilSkies, you are the man!
Yeah, right.

Fantastic game guys, congrats!

Spoiler
The sound does stutter a lot when I die and restart, it affects gameplay. My PC is pretty old, so I guess that's the reason.
[close]

Try and press Esc and disable super graphic effects, that should fix it. And thanks a lot guys! The learning curve is indeed terribly steep at the moment. Me and Andrea have become terribly good at this, and it's harder for us to understand things. One suggestion that makes the controls easier, is to follow the character's position with ur mouse, so when you jump you do that, that will ensure that when the landing occurs, you'll be stationary. Anyhow, this is but an adventure game forum after all.

If anyone from the forums reaches the end, do let me know.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

AprilSkies

Dunno if it helps ... But I made a Walkthrough :P

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/ldLEZdiCUEg[/embed]

[embed=425,349]http://youtu.be/M_SD67jI-ZY[/embed]

www.apemarina.altervista.org

abstauber

Thank you so much! Now I can enjoy the visuals without the pain of mastering the "controls" :P

So beautiful, yet so unplayable for me :~( :~(

But yay, I managed to reach the first boss and I don't feel like giving up yet.

..edit: btw. the videos are without sound, is that intended?

Dualnames

Probably, Andrea is trolling you all.

aikex222

like already said but i'll definitely say it again, you guys did a amazing work with this game. :smiley:

AprilSkies

Quote from: abstauber on Sat 03/01/2015 09:49:03
..edit: btw. the videos are without sound, is that intended?

Well I failed to record the sound :/

abstauber

oh sorry, I didn't want to sound malicious. Also without sound, the motivation is high to finish this myself - now that I've seen that it's possible :)

tzachs

How the hell did you manage to all this in one month?!? 8-0
Incredible!
And looks super polished.

AprilSkies

Quote from: abstauber on Sat 03/01/2015 16:14:29
oh sorry, I didn't want to sound malicious.
ahaha no no I didn't find it malicious ^_^
this face :-\ was referred to me.. i'm so bumbling sometimes (laugh) (laugh)

btw, thanks for all your nice comments guys.. even if I'm a simple drawner.

Ibispi

Great drawings Aprilskies!
I still haven't finished the game, I find it very difficult... but it is reminiscent of older games which were challenging and unforgiving, unlike today's games.
At first I was very frustrated at the game for just throwing you into hard levels, but then, Dualnames was right when he said in IRC yesterday how games are getting easier and easier, they are no longer fun. As much as frustrating this game may seem to be, it's actually astonishingly fun. It feels like a game.

Crimson Wizard

What is the purpose of having Linux and Windows binaries combined in one package?

EDIT: I gave up the game at the second level: for some reason the game saved when character was middle jump above the center of platform, and it took me about 20 attempts to simply click mouse button in time and jump further.

The worst thing are "you are dead" and "press any key" screens, they distract me and completely break the rythme of playing.

I would probably try more, if there were keyboard controls, I can't make myself click mouse in time, it seems.

EDIT2: Errrr.............
It appears that I did not realize that I am controlling character speed with mouse........
My mouse cursor was in the far right corner and the player was running uber-fast all the time. I was thinking that it's the game design......
*facepalm*

Cassiebsg

Managed to get to the 1st boss... my nerves are a wreak, my hand hurts and I've cursed a lot... And when I finally was getting used to the controls... you add a new control... 8-0

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sat 03/01/2015 21:50:40
Managed to get to the 1st boss... my nerves are a wreak, my hand hurts and I've cursed a lot... And when I finally was getting used to the controls... you add a new control... 8-0

Hahaha...because everyone knows Cassie just LOVES games that require reflexes... 8-0

One thing I found useful early on was:

Spoiler
In most cases early on you can just jump right on top of enemies with the bat readied and nail them instantly when you land, and it usually doesn't matter which way you are facing, and they can't shoot you while you're flying above them through the air. In fact I rarely used the gun at all until the first boss fight.
[close]

Dualnames

It's okay guys, thanks for the feedback so far, I did say countless times I got accustomed to this a lot, so it's hard for me to gauge on difficulty. We're working on the faults of this.

Cassiebsg

Am not sure what's more frustrating... dieing over and over again, or posting a post that doesn't get posted... :-\

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 04/01/2015 03:41:05
Hahaha...because everyone knows Cassie just LOVES games that require reflexes... 8-0

Actually I quiet enjoy action/reflex games, just not platformers and games that you need to start over from scratch like in the old days of no save games. So I rather enjoy the save game of this one. :)

One thing I found useful early on was:
Spoiler
In most cases early on you can just jump right on top of enemies with the bat readied and nail them instantly when you land,
[close]

One thing I found out...
Spoiler

You don't actually need to kill the bad guys at all, you can just run and jump past them, since they don't shoot, kill on contact or follow you once they are off screen...
Probably missing a collision detection here, though that would make using the bat very hard. 8-0
[close]

One thing I'm struggling is that, when playing in windowed mode, once my mouse gets out of the game window the game continues playing but I have no way of controlling the character anymore, and thus death is upon me. >:(

Dualnames

This is why fullscreen is suggested, frankly, this is the biggest reason I'm moving away from AGS with this.

Cassiebsg

I don't really play full-screen anymore, as I enjoy to be able to break from a game, read a forum, check irc or icq, etc. Kind of feel "claustrophobic" and like am missing something. (roll)
The other AGS games normally pause as soon as you click outside (and then I go and add a line to the cfg, to let them run even if am doing something else) but this one works the other way around. ???
And I don't see the line in cfg that should do that (multitasking=1).

But I did try the fullscreen for this one, and the screen is just too big for my mouse to follow... and there are some weird stuff happening in the "black" side bars... I'll do a screen cap later if you want to check it out.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 04/01/2015 18:56:44
And I don't see the line in cfg that should do that (multitasking=1).

Do this:
Code: text

[override]
multitasking = 0 or 1 // (force disable or force enable)

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 04/01/2015 18:56:44
But I did try the fullscreen for this one, and the screen is just too big for my mouse to follow... and there are some weird stuff happening in the "black" side bars... I'll do a screen cap later if you want to check it out.
Sounds like a side-border bug that was fixed in AGS 3.3.3. You may try copying acwin.exe from 3.3.3 package into game folder and run it.

Radiant

The game looks great, but please put in keyboard support. There is a reason why almost no platformer uses mouse controls :grin:

Cassiebsg

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 05/01/2015 19:50:07
The game looks great, but please put in keyboard support. There is a reason why almost no platformer uses mouse controls :grin:

+1

Or add a response of up/dowm on the mouse... I find my self trying to jump or stand up by pulling the mouse up. (laugh)

Crimson Wizard

Actually I think that it could be a good idea to combine mouse movement and keyboard presses.

Mandle

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 05/01/2015 20:05:45
Actually I think that it could be a good idea to combine mouse movement and keyboard presses.

But then how would one possibly drink beer while playing? :-\

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 06/01/2015 00:22:04
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 05/01/2015 20:05:45

Easy: move the mouse to the rightmost corner and play at full running speed, like I did by mistake :)

Jim Reed

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 06/01/2015 00:22:04

XD

Sorry I missed the release you two, this is finally out \o/ =D =D =D

LostTrainDude

I wrote a little about the game on Indievault.it, the Italian indie game developers community website! :D

I also wrote about All The Way Down in a previous article.
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Dualnames

I didn't know you were Italian, thanks for the write-up.

Monsieur OUXX

the game has been removed from the games database?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk