Marka [mockup updated on 7th]

Started by ..., Fri 02/01/2015 02:53:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello guys.
A few of you know me a bit. I joined AGSF a month ago and jumped right into competition. I also got my fingers the first time on AGS 3 months ago. So I'm pretty fresh to everything that is related to it. The little machine and I are still getting to know each other better. So since some of you nearly begged me to finish my work (laugh), I go right ahead and intend to reuse the image in an AGS-Mini Game. ;) For training.

I updated and animated the spadework. Enjoy, if you like, hehe.
Don't count, currently I'm using 55 colors out of the groups grey, yellow, blue, green, red and brown. If I'll use around 5 additional colors, depends on room for the extra light effects.

Hey OUXX, if you passing by, your favorite phase has arrived. :-D

Hah, now I know what part of my picture was disturbing me the whole time. I couldn't name it first, but now I see. Who saw the mistake in the little mountain scene, too. (laugh) I must be rustier than I thought. Later I'll post 2 or so versions of the correction, maybe I can't pick the better looking myself. ;) To many possibilities.

- - - - - - - - -

EDIT:
Well here they are, some other rearranged mountains to go for a more balanced composition. Not perfect in pixel, but they also don't need to be yet.

[imgzoom]http://u.jimdo.com/www75/o/sc60c47078e926a37/img/i8fcd3170587e3d83/1420625490/std/image.png[/imgzoom]

I perceive the original scene kind of distorted in the far behinds. The left side seems to lose in richness of detail, the right side on the other hand looks overloaded now. With the front mountains I'm happy. I would prefer number 3 of the other tryouts, thought. I don't wanna have it looking to overloaded or having to much emptiness. I would like to have my scene leveled and suitable for a around 45° angled wall, hillside. I further think, I would lose of expression, if I would change the light purple mountains into a more fit color-depth approaching to the others.

I shrunk the scene in width, thinking to get a better fit for the window into the caves. Well I guess, I have to stick with the circle, other windows aren't harmonizing with the scene or getting to big for my plans. I keep telling me not being so clenched about it. It's just a mockup for a possible program idea. (laugh) Nothing I have to die for.

Never be afraid of paint overs!

Well I felt bored by keep doing the traditional ways so I played a little with perspectives. Some finger exercises never hurt and running on another art style for a change, too. I think, I'm being out of the woods, finally. Things started to come easier together again. Feels good to be back. :-D

original scource

The 3 points px by 1 version instead of 2 points 1.

I wonder, way some use to say it's not working as well. Things just have to be handled different and who says that can't be done.
Did ever one of you guys broke the rules and created something marvelous? I know, I intend to do with my projects.

Have a nice day.

Ibispi

Hi adventuress.
That first background of yours (Marka) is good perspective, if you are planning to make adventure games.
The last unfinished background perspective might seem great at first glance, but I doubt it would be practical to draw like when developing a game. Well it could work but still... Those traditional ways are like that for a reason, I think.
For example, a lot of 2d games have tiles for graphics, because those can be a great tool while designing game rooms, environment.
It's just my opinion though, I might be wrong. It's always good to try out new things. Keep practicing! :-)

Speaking of thinking outside the box.
To let a user not see everything at a first look, can be a very powerful design element. I let the 1-day animated doodle speak for itself.
These are just two examples, what I could do with a 3 points px by 1 (perspective). (laugh)

Darth Mandarb

That's not 3 point 1 perspective, that's isometric drawing (no perspective). 

I love isometric. 

However... it is a major pain in the ass to work with in AGS.  I tried it a few years back (okay 12) on my first (okay only) game.

I ended up going with a more orthographic (planometric?) approach as trying to do walkable areas with baselines and walk-behinds was a nightmare to keep up with when working with isometric.

*darth tousle* Arwh, that's so sad to hear that you didn't had fun at all.

Hehe, my abstract ways of thinking generated a easy to misunderstand phrase, I guess. I were not going for a 3-point-perspective literally. I made it a bit more clear now, I hope. Sorry, sometimes I forget that others are not able to see through my mind. ;) It might had been painful for you Darth, but oh what fun it would be to do. Actually I'm working currently on 5 different concept arts and yes isometric is on my list, too.

I have some crazy stuff going on. (laugh)
Till yet I have not found a single piece out of it that would be a problem for AGS. That reminds me sort of Lucas history. Nobody told them, hey ya can't do this or that, they just did and made it work. No matter how crazy it seemed at a time. Well times are changing and so people and ideas do. And I might be the first breaking all dusty adventure rules. We see about that.

Is not a single one of you guys getting bored, by ever the same run-of-the-mill? Why? Why can I not name... not even one adventure that could be undergo in two-player-mode? Teamwork, both in sweat and blood unified. Boy I actually would pay money for a game again. And I haven't bought any for almost centuries now. And yeah I know about the internet 'the last fate of atlantis' project. Hundred gamers they were, but still traditional.

Snarky

Quote from: adventuress on Tue 13/01/2015 14:33:51
Hehe, my abstract ways of thinking generated a easy to misunderstand phrase, I guess. I were not going for a 3-point-perspective literally. I made it a bit more clear now, I hope.

It's still not correct, because you're still talking about "points," which in the context of perspective means convergence points, which your drawing doesn't have since it's using a form of parallel projection. What you're talking about is a dimetric projection (usually though incorrectly called "isometric" for computer graphics) where the incline of the projected ground axes is 3:1 (roughly 18.4 degrees). So desrcribe it as a "3 pixels to 1 viewing angle" or something, not "3 points px by 1," which is just nonsense.

Till yet I have not found a single piece out of it that would be a problem for AGS. That reminds me sort of Lucas history. Nobody told them, hey ya can't do this or that, they just did and made it work. No matter how crazy it seemed at a time. Well times are changing and so people and ideas do. And I might be the first breaking all dusty adventure rules. We see about that.

Rather presumptuous of you, don't you think? Let me assure you that creating an "isometric" adventure game is not some daring creative leap no one before you has come up with. (Ever heard of Little Big Adventure?) It's simply a bit of a pain to implement in AGS (while being much easier in other engines). You haven't come across any problems yet, but that doesn't mean you won't. As Darth mentions, the big problem here is that any "isometric" perspectives don't work well with the AGS system of walkbehinds and baselines, because an on-screen y-coordinate doesn't map consistently to "in front of" or "behind." Even just in your example picture there are several places where you would in theory get glitchy walkbehinds (inside the well, for example).

:) Smiling.
Better ya don't go that way there.

Andail

Well times are changing and so people and ideas do. And I might be the first breaking all dusty adventure rules. We see about that.

Is not a single one of you guys getting bored, by ever the same run-of-the-mill? Why? Why can I not name... not even one adventure that could be undergo in two-player-mode? Teamwork, both in sweat and blood unified. Boy I actually would pay money for a game again. And I haven't bought any for almost centuries now. And yeah I know about the internet 'the last fate of atlantis' project. Hundred gamers they were, but still traditional.

I don't get it. What does all this mean? What are those "dusty adventure rules" you speak of?

Monsieur OUXX

it's useless to insist : adventuress has a very circumvoluted way of writing. Either you deal with it and manage to filter out the useless information in the very long sentences to keep only the core meaning, or you better give up and go read another thread, otherwise you'll get mad and start a flame war very soon. She has the same effect as an Icey Games thread, so think twice before you comment. ;)

Hahahahaha.
Wonderful, my hero in shining armor. OUXX you made my day.

Nah, I'm such a unimportant matter, no worth to get the mouth dusted.
I vanish anyway, if it comes to war. :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk