Providence

Started by SeamanNaranja, Sun 04/01/2015 17:15:05

Previous topic - Next topic

tsa

I just started on the game and it's intrigueing. Nice graphics too! What I miss though is a small explanation about how the interface works at the beginning, or on the AG webpage, because the interface is not really intuitive. I found it strange that I can't open doors but not go into the rooms they open to, for instance. And it took me a while to find out that when I want to use an object I have to press its 'inventory number,' for want of a better word.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: tsa on Wed 11/02/2015 19:41:37
I just started on the game and it's intrigueing. Nice graphics too! What I miss though is a small explanation about how the interface works at the beginning, or on the AG webpage, because the interface is not really intuitive. I found it strange that I can't open doors but not go into the rooms they open to, for instance. And it took me a while to find out that when I want to use an object I have to press its 'inventory number,' for want of a better word.
Hi! Glad you are playing! The basic controls are the left and right arrow key for movement, space for interactions, and the number keys for inventory items (listed in the bottom left). Check out the controls in the pause menu (by clicking ESC). Hopefully the interaction bar should pop up at the bottom of the screen as well. If not you might be experiencing some kind of bug? :confused:
Developer of Hjarta, Providence and Skumring.

Haggis

Just gave this a go and it is a joy to look at. The animations are so smooth and the transition effect between indoor and outdoor is a thing of beauty. As noted in the detail it is fairly short and the player is somewhat guided along the rails for the majority of it (the hotel section for me was the exception) but this is all about storytelling. I'll definitely be playing through again to make some different choices.

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Haggis on Wed 11/02/2015 21:51:51
Just gave this a go and it is a joy to look at. The animations are so smooth and the transition effect between indoor and outdoor is a thing of beauty. As noted in the detail it is fairly short and the player is somewhat guided along the rails for the majority of it (the hotel section for me was the exception) but this is all about storytelling.
Thanks for your kind words! The hotel section probably is the only one with anything that resembles old school puzzles. I made a decision early that it should be a shorter game, because I wanted a steady pacing.
Quote from: Haggis on Wed 11/02/2015 21:51:51
I'll definitely be playing through again to make some different choices.
Spoiler
I thought about putting up a disclaimer at the end, so that people didn't come in a second time thinking it would have a lot of alternative routes through the game... In reality there aren't many. The illusion that there is and that you're making all these decisions is it. No matter what you do destiny is what awaits you. Unless you interpret it with dream theory, like some people on YouTube have! :tongue:
[close]

selmiak

What a great game. So beautiful to look at and such a dramatic interwoven story. Sadly it is a bit short and linear in walking and giving the illusion of choice but really fun to play! But besides this linearity the gameplay flows really well, a bit well for my taste, as there are no puzzles to interrupt that flow and make me think. But the story does make me think, so that's okay ;)

@SeamanNaranja: ohnoes, I'm glad I did read your hidden text in the post before this one, otherwise I'd have tried it again too to try different paths and decisions... :P

Cassiebsg

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 12/02/2015 22:56:22
@SeamanNaranja: ohnoes, I'm glad I did read your hidden text in the post before this one, otherwise I'd have tried it again too to try different paths and decisions... :P

Spoiler alert! Do no read if you haven't played yet!
Spoiler

I realized that there wasn't much choices when I kept trying to deny to keep the box for the strange man, then realized that I had no choice and took it, then tried to give it to mom, and again, realized there was no other choice but to put it in the bedroom closet. :-\ At the end, I also tried to pick up the "wrong" choice, just to realize that the game would not progress until I picked up the right one. And then it ended...
I did wonder if I had a choice not to shot the guy on the subway or at the hotel, I just assumed I didn't and did it not trying anything else...
[close]
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

selmiak

hehe, the hotel... there I though is a puzzle, so

Spoiler
while finding out which floor I need to go to I figured: ok, I need a key, but do I kill the bartender/hotelboy first or the guy outside the door. One shot would attrackt the other guy, but then I could just grab the key...

I have to try if I can just shoot the guys outside the door :)
[close]

Shadow1000

I just played this game.

My comments will basically be in line with what everyone else said:

Really cool different interface. Graphics and animations really stood out.

Not much of a puzzle game but definitely creepy!

Cheers

SHADOW

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: selmiak on Thu 12/02/2015 22:56:22
What a great game. So beautiful to look at and such a dramatic interwoven story. Sadly it is a bit short and linear in walking and giving the illusion of choice but really fun to play! But besides this linearity the gameplay flows really well, a bit well for my taste, as there are no puzzles to interrupt that flow and make me think. But the story does make me think, so that's okay ;)

Thank you for the kind words! Yeah, it is probably more of a visual novel, baring the puzzle at the hotel. Figured it fitted in with the themes and I had huge trouble coding puzzles since it is a platform game!

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Fri 13/02/2015 13:35:15
Spoiler alert! Do no read if you haven't played yet!
Yeah, but I hope you enjoyed it the first time around. The illusion of choice was the idea, much like in Telltale games or such. :-)

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 13/02/2015 14:53:58
hehe, the hotel... there I though is a puzzle, so
That would be great! I just didn't think about it... :tongue:

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 13/02/2015 21:44:16
I just played this game.

My comments will basically be in line with what everyone else said:

Really cool different interface. Graphics and animations really stood out.

Not much of a puzzle game but definitely creepy!

Cheers

SHADOW
Glad you liked it! :wink:

selmiak

600 downloads, a thread over 3 pages, and only 6 ratings on the game page? Come on people!
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1875/

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 16/02/2015 12:05:17
600 downloads, a thread over 3 pages, and only 6 ratings on the game page? Come on people!
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1875/
I'm super happy with those numbers, plus total downloads on all sites is five times more than Skumring. I'm not complaining :-)

Saub

I'm glad I finally got round to playing this game.  I really enjoyed the mysterious, melancholy atmosphere, and I'm still thinking about the ending...

SeamanNaranja

Quote from: Saub on Tue 24/02/2015 21:23:37
I'm glad I finally got round to playing this game.  I really enjoyed the mysterious, melancholy atmosphere, and I'm still thinking about the ending...
Thanks for taking the time to play it! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk