An attempt to pixel art background

Started by Priabudiman, Sat 31/01/2015 16:17:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Priabudiman

I am trying to do something in pixel style, this is my first attempt on doing a spread ice age / north pole themed background.

Any suggestion to which i should improve on? done this piece in 640x360

Thank you so much!

Cassiebsg

I'm no expert in pixel art, but I know I like the simple BG you got there! (nod)

Are those highlights on the top/side of the mountains (light blue)?
Cause if they are, the one on the "middle" seems a bit off (also the one on the right). You're light source seems to come from the upper right, yet that mountain is tipped the opposite way, and my is telling me that it should be dark instead of light. Unless you have the source in the upper middle of the picture though that may be an odd choice...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Priabudiman

ahh yes, you're right! :-D

i still off about doing the light source correctly, i tend to do what i think looks nice, hehe. thank you for the input, on the next one ill try more careful and fix those glitch.

NickyNyce

At first and second glance I assumed I was looking at a large glacier and not mountains. The square look to them makes me think more glacier than mountain considering the setting you mentioned. But either way, I think one more lighter color of blue would really help the BG pop a bit more. At the moment it's a bit flat. This depends on how detailed you want to make your game of course. Oh, and why not add one lighter color for the snow too, to show off some shiny patches considering it's not a very cloudy day.

I would also like to see a slightly larger piece of ice float by in the BG too ;)

Now that I keep looking, the horizon line straight across the screen seems a bit...boring?...to me. Maybe you could break it up a bit. I would try to do a little make over, but I'm pretty sure your picture is jpeg. Never use jpeg...Well not if you didn't mind someone editing the BG anyway.

Priabudiman

@NickyNice please do so if you dont mind! :D

yes, me too planning the bg in the first time to be a huge glacier wall, at least im trying to make one.. Heheh..

NickyNyce

I would try to do a little make over, but you saved the picture as jpeg. You need to save your pixel work as png in order to be able to edit it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk