Hey, remember Ben Jordan?

Started by Grundislav, Wed 04/02/2015 06:15:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Grundislav

Hi all,

Forgive me if this thread is particularly self-indulgent, but I figured someone might get some amusement out of this. I've been tweeting this stuff, so if you've seen it, disregard this thread :)

So this year I decided to get better at art. Even though I've been making games for a while, I still have a lot of weaknesses in the art department. I decided to start practicing every day, and challenge myself to get better at drawing stuff that's given me trouble in the past. As part of this exercise, I've gone and revisited some of my old backgrounds, so far from the old Ben Jordan games. I still have a hell of a long way to go, but here's what I've done so far, accompanied by the originals so we can all laugh and wonder how I got away with such terrible stuff.

Also before anyone gets too excited, I am not remaking any of the games. The reason I decided to do this is because right now it's easier for me to practice with something I'm already familiar with rather than just draw something new. Hopefully this will inspire other people to practice more and get better!

Case 1

Case 2

Case 3

Case 4

Mandle

Wow man! Quite the stunning improvement!!!

The Ben Jordan series was one of my first AGS games, and my first ever adventure game series, even including commercial titles, and what a fantastic series it was. I guess when I was playing I was far too caught up in the story to notice a slight lack of detail with the backgrounds.

I do remember the art getting better and better as the games went on though. Not sure if that was your stuff or not though. I remember the front of the London pub with the rain effects being the background that most impressed me though. At a guess I would say maybe it was Ben Chandler's work? Well, if I'm wrong and it was yours (or someone else) then that's a very big compliment right there I guess...

* Mandle feels inspired to go draw a background!

CaptainD

Forget remaking Ben Jordan, you should just make a new game, but with those screens! :grin:

They all look fantastic apart from the tower... not sure what it is, something about it doesn't look right.  But it also (I hope you don't mind me saying this!) seems to be a big improvement from the art in The Golden Wake too (not that the art in AGW as bad, but these strike me as significantly better).

st.

Ben Jordan admirer here! (1) Oh, how much time did you spend drawing a detailed background like that one with the forest?!  My current skill aside, considering the amount of spare time that I have available, better graphics don't mean such a density of detail; more detail certainly, but also a better choice of what to detail... (2) Let's suppose that I will someday engage in making something similar to your beauties. I remember enjoying them also for their lightness of demeanor which was partially derived from the style of the drawings. Even if you occasionally played around gruesome topics, I don't remember BJ as shocking and this higher class of art form is, I believe, also determined by the playful look of the graphics. From among the photos above, personally, I enjoy the white lighthouse more. (3) The backgrounds that you presented correspond, if I remember correctly, to passing through scenes. Well, if you show me such a heavily detailed background, would it not leave too great an impression to be connectable to close range views in ulterior scenes where the player interacts with characters and items? It feels like it would warp me out of the story... And I would probably want to stop right there (hang the game) and enjoy imagining myself in that scenery! (4) All this lushness makes me want to wonder about and interact with the plants, the stones and the critters. It does more than create atmosphere, a general mood - it evokes a living, breathing world. I could feel deprived of a complete experience - like a child that is shown a gorgeous toy, but then is told he/she can't actually play with it. -That's about all I can think of. I hope I didn't offend you. You probably thought of these matters yourself and discussed them with others. Let's look at them as an intelligent enough excuse to say something to you, shall we? Big fan! I look up to your accomplishments.
springthoughts

Andail

I would give 10 bucks to see some of these in the critics lounge and open up some nice art discussions.

I don't know why more ags oldies won't use the CL more...

ThreeOhFour

I've actually thought about doing some more stuff in the CL, Andail, I learned a lot in there in the past. It's always a "When I have time" thing, though! I don't know if I count as an AGS oldie, though. :=

Fitz

Nice! I will agree with Cap, though: the lighthouse scenery is the weakest among the otherwise quite impressive make-overs. The sky could use a more uniform, darker tone, to match the lighthouse, and the grass could benefit from deeper shading -- and maybe a different hue, this emerald green just doesn't do it for me. Conversely, you might want to flatten the shading on the mountains in the mine's background -- so as to indicate it's far off, not right behind the hills. See how nicely you depicted depth in the woods by tinting the foliage in the background more blue. I'd also make the distant tree trunks greenish or bluish instead of pure black. Artsy tricks aside, air isn't 100% transparent and various impurities, even if it's just vapor, on the clearest of days, will make objects appear bleaker and/or discolored -- the more the father they are from you.

Still -- GREAT job! The color choices, the composition, the style itself all show great progress. I'd definitely like to see more of these.

Snarky

Cool beans! (I'd seen them on Twitbook already.) Can't really say anything else since this isn't the CL... :~(

Ibispi

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 04/02/2015 06:15:04
(...)
Also before anyone gets too excited, I am not remaking any of the games.
(...)
I was already too excited when I read the name of the thread and noticed the reprises of old Ben Jordan backgrounds and the developer of Ben Jordan being the creator of the thread and this not being in Critics' Lounge thread.
After reading this sentence I am very disappointed.
Yours sincerely,
avid Ben Jordan fan

Ps. Smailholm background is my favorite from those.
Ps.2. The case 4 background looks obviously a lot better than the original background. But, I feel the original one is a lot better due claustrophobic feeling it provided and the big door being the only thing in the background, when I played the game it looked quite scary. I feel as if when improved, this background loses the touch it had when it was a lot simpler. I could be wrong though, since I'm not a graphical artist.

Grundislav

Nobody needs to worry about offending me. Like I said I still have a long way to go and I've only been practicing regularly for about a month now, so I myself will probably hate all these backgrounds soon enough! :)

I prefer the truth, and the comments so far have been very helpful!

Might as well move this to the Critic's Lounge. Mods, want to help with that?

AGA

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 04/02/2015 16:08:40
Nobody needs to worry about offending me.

Oh yeah?  Well, you smell!  And you make bad video games!!  And yo momma isn't that great at Scrabble!!!  At least one of those statements is true.

selmiak

finally in the critiques longe.

They all look great! Better. A lot. I'm probably telling you nothing new, so here we go:
Your painting and the drawing techniques is getting really good, but get used to using some PS tools after finishing painting.
I hope you use photoshop, but gimp probably has the same option, I just don't know where.

Use some curves to make darker parts darker and brighter parts brighter. This adds more dynamic.
Then (or before) level up the saturation.
I did this for the case 2 BG, this is by far the most interesting composition.

the unedited version imho looks like on a bad weather day, while the final version looks like some heated desert...
while painting don't be shy and add some very bright highlights. But don't overdo it, use them, make them really bright, but use them sparsely.

the case 1 repaint reminds me so much of bob ross ;-D

Andail

Hm, I agree that many of the bgs need more highlights, but I'm not sure about cranking up saturation like that.
I would select a few areas to add some interesting lighting to, and furthermore work a bit with colour perspective, to make the distant hills look more, well, distant (usually just softening them up with a light blue hue will work). But uniformly increasing contrasts may not be the way, imo.

I would definitely work more with complimentary colours, to make the colour scheme more vibrant. So instead of just adjusting lightness, you add a dash of warm yellow to the highlights and cold blue to the shadows.

Grundislav

Yeah I'm trying to take things step by step. First step was getting my perspective right, since that was a BIG weakness of mine. Now I'm moving towards interesting composition as well as color balance. I notice that I tend to lean towards very muted colors, so I'm trying to play a bit more with complementary colors. In the BJ4 background I tried to get the warm glow of the lights to complement a sort of bluish tinge around the dark areas.

I agree that the hills are a bit too dark, so I went back and lightened them up a bit with a wash of the blue from the sky, which makes it look better.

Thanks for the feedback, it really is appreciated! Keep it coming :)

Ilyich

This gives a very nice and concrete insight into how one can improve their art - a lovely display! It's always great to see this sort of progress, thanks for sharing!

And since we're in the CL now, I wanted to offer a small tip that might help with figuring out aerial perspective, levels/contrast issues and composition overall, and the tip is - try looking at your image in terms of values from time to time. Which basically means turning it to greyscale. Let's try and see how this works, then:

O-okay, so the bright road and the tree help save this one, but the foliage part is barely readable, with way too little sense of depth and space. It's important to remember that the closer the things are to us - the higher the contrast between shadows and light, and the further away they are - the lesser the contrast and duller the saturation. And you really want to exaggerate those relations, and you want the silhouettes of closer objects to read against the more background ones, you want them to pop.

Here's my quick, somewhat washed out edit of the greyscale picture with those things in mind: 

And here's how it translates to the coloured image (the result of putting the edited greyscale image over the original with "luminosity" blending mode and some minor additional colour-correction):

Hope this helps a bit! Obviously you want to design your image with those things in mind from the start for a better result, but switching to greyscale still might help you notice important issues at every stage of the process.

Mouth for war

I...FREAKING...LOVE...THIS... AMAZING WORK!!!! :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Armageddon

Really good stuff, can't say much more than what everyone else has already said. Just need to work on the color more, as it's very very very very very bland/flat. Light bounces a lot, over everything. So a green plant in the foreground won't be the exact same shade in the background you know. Also think more about contrast like Ilyich said because otherwise the image just looks like a mess of the same colors. Look at any decently made movie, the cinematographer's job is to use lighting to separate the points of interest from the background in any given shot.

Grundislav

Taking some of the advice into account, I tweaked the BJ2 background a tiny bit.

AprilSkies

Quote from: Grundislav on Wed 04/02/2015 06:15:04
Also before anyone gets too excited, I am not remaking any of the games.

Please next time write in the title of thread (laugh)
Or at least in the very first line of the post :-D

I started reading... get excited... Jumped directly to the pics... get excited more...
Then I realized that I won't play remakes cause you're not going to make :~(

Really great stuff tho...
in he BJ2 BG dunno if I like more the curves+contrast version. The original version, a bit desaturated has something old fashioned that attract me more.
The very last version you posted is perfect.

www.apemarina.altervista.org

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk