Emo Kid

Started by deadsuperhero, Wed 11/02/2015 19:12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

deadsuperhero

So I've recently decided to take a stab at making sprites again, and thought it would be fun to try doing things in a higher resolution. After looking through a few tutorials, I decided to sketch out a character, scan it, and turn it into a sprite in GIMP.

A long time ago, I was working on an AGS game called No One Likes You (NOLY). The data all got lost in a hard drive crash, so I ended up giving up for a very long time. Every now and then, I'll take another stab at developing the main character and visual style. In the past, the main character has looked like this:

Now, the main character looks like this, in a much higher resolution. I feel that the style is a lot more unique. I ended up experimenting with dithering,shading techniques, and venturing into a visual style that I haven't tried before. His arms need a little tweaking, and his pants might need some lighter shading, but overall, I'm happy about how Peter turned out.

1x

Zoomed in:

My next goals will involve adding some finishing polish, and figuring out how to animate this guy!
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Lasca

I really like him! Looks like a fun guy :-D
The only thing that's bothering me a bit is the shading, or rather the highlights, on the pants.

deadsuperhero

Thanks! I think I'm going to try to flip the shadow and highlight on the pants to see if that looks a little more natural.

A few things I'm thinking about adjusting, but not totally sure about:

• The arm on the left side of the sprite seems a little strange
  • His eyeliner could probably use some evening out.
  • Maybe his eye shapes could be adjusted to match a little more?
  • Adjust some of the darker dithering on the right side of the face?

I really can't wait to animate him, though. It would be fun to make a character that makes sassy expressions when he talks.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk