Mittens 2015 New Orleans August 7 - 14

Started by Disco, Sun 04/01/2015 05:22:57

Previous topic - Next topic

MillsJROSS

I'm driving in and I might be there either late on the 6th or early morning on the 7th (depending on how sleepy I am after work). Getting excited, the last vacation I had was the last Mittens (Florida) I attended, so this was badly needed. Looking forward to seeing some old and new faces.

Snarky

The link in the first post doesn't seem to work any more, but it's this place, right? http://www.vrbo.com/173743

AGA

AGA

I've done some research, and found some things that seem interesting:

ActivityLocationCostTripAdvisor
Destrehan Plantation13034 River Road, Destrehan, LA 70047; Approx 30 mins' drive from house$18
5 in 1 Ghost & Mystery Tour of the French Quarter 723 St Peter Street, New Orleans, LA 70116; Approx 15 mins' drive from house$25.00
Honey Island Swamp Tour41490 Crawford Landing Road, Slidell, LA 70461; Approx 45 mins' drive from house$23
Jackson Square / French Quarter700 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70116; Approx 15 mins' drive from houseFREE /
New Orleans Historic Voodoo Museum724 Dumaine Street, New Orleans, LA 70116; Approx 15 mins' drive from house$5
Segway City Tour214 Decatur Street, New Orleans, LA 70130; Approx 15 mins' drive from house$65
St. Louis Cemetery #1 tourNew Orleans, LA 70112; Approx 10 mins' drive from house$25.00
Steamboat NatchezToulouse Street, New Orleans, LA 70130; Approx 15 mins' drive from house$29.50

Not everyone has to join in everything of course, but chances are we'll be visiting most of this stuff, even if no one else is interested in coming along.

We've got cemeteries, swamps, voodoo, the Mississippi, the French Quarter, slavery...  Seems to cover most of the NOLA bases!

Snarky

I was talking to some people about the trip, and the first thing they ask me is "Oh, so are you guys big jazz fans, then?" :-\

AGA

The steamship ride has live jazz, and the general 'French Quarter' category should cover it too, especially if we go after dark.  Apparently it's basically impossible to avoid live jazz around there.

Disco

Good ones, Berian. I quite like the idea of the steamboat and swamp tours myself.

I've been casually looking up some things too, but ended up having a pet emergency starting a couple days ago, so my mind hasn't really been on NOLA since that started (surgery is about an hour after this post, and the prognosis is good!). There are a couple updates/considerations/ideas I'd like to present:

1. I will be calling the property manager this afternoon to pay the balance on the rent, so have but to show up :D

2. Francisco has informed me that there is a chance that Jess will not be able to make it due to work commitments, though last we spoke he did say that they were trying to get an exemption. It is possible (but not yet definite) that we will be 12 in that case.

3. From what I have read, all except Esseb will arrive in NOLA before we are able to go to the house, so we should establish a rally point nearby so that the bulk of us arrive there at the same time.

I hope that it does not sound too self-serving if I suggest the New Orleans Amtrak station that Kayla and I will arrive? :P It is only 2.3 miles (8 minutes) from the house, and has ample parking.

4. Pondering dinner for our arrival, I was thinking we could either order out or make something simple at the house so we can visit the first night. We could do the major grocery shopping the next day after a nights rest.

5. Jazz will never, ever die.

Thoughts?

AGA

I've been reading a lot about Cajun and creole cooking.  We should make a jambalaya on the first night.  It's apparently pretty simple.

Grundislav

It's pretty much definite at this point that Jess won't be joining us :undecided:

Also, we should take a ghost tour.

AGA

Quintaros

Quote from: AGA on Tue 28/07/2015 14:46:53
I've been reading a lot about Cajun and creole cooking.  We should make a jambalaya on the first night.  It's apparently pretty simple.

Yeah jambalaya is one of my go to recipes for a simple one pot meal.  But it does require a lot of spices that you might not want to buy when you're only staying at a place for a week.

AGA

Wonder what would happen if everyone brought bags of suspicious ground substances with them through the airports...

Snarky

The keywords found in that post have already put you on a watchlist.

Disco

Quote from: AGA on Tue 28/07/2015 18:47:18
Wonder what would happen if everyone brought bags of suspicious ground substances with them through the airports...

That concern does not apply to train travel or driving! Correct me if I'm wrong, but this may be the first Mittens since the debut where the majority of people will not arrive by plane (at least at the onset).

For the first night I was thinking of making biscuits and a large-ish pan of southern style mac and cheese and perhaps some red beans and rice, which should take maximum one hour.

Disco

The property manager is closing on a house the day we arrive, and will be busy until 16:00. We can arrange to go to the house any time after that.

MillsJROSS

This Amtrak Station?
1001 Loyola Ave
New Orleans, LA 70113

Disco, I'm going to swap cell #s with you via private message, so's we can contact each other.

I'm thinking some truly New Orleans for Dinner. Popeye's Chicken!

Disco

Quote from: MillsJROSS on Sat 01/08/2015 02:34:46
This Amtrak Station?
1001 Loyola Ave
New Orleans, LA 70113

That's the one!

QuoteI'm going to swap cell #s with you via private message, so's we can contact each other.

I usually do a directory on the private info page, and am going to search for one of the previous editions to compile an updated one. If anyone has a new number since last year or has yet to supply it, please PM me.

Also, random thought just now but might as well suggest everyone bring some type of swimming garment. The house does not have a pool, but you never know. I have ideas.

Snarky

The closest public pool seems to be the John P. Lyons Center (624 Louisiana Ave, New Orleans, LA 70115).

Quintaros

I imagine Disco's ideas are more mischievous.

AGA

I would assume something involving either the lake or the river.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk