Snow Animation

Started by Priabudiman, Mon 09/03/2015 17:06:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Priabudiman

Hey guys,

Since I cant find any working modules or samples of how to do some animated snow on background, I'm trying this instead. Any comments and suggestions are very welcome, I'm sure there are many that i can improve on this background. I'm trying to settle this matter as soon as possible so I can start working on my first game.

Thank you so much for reading! ;)

5 Frame of animated Snow :

Cassiebsg

If the snow is meant to go from left to right, then it's perfect... otherwise you might want to revise it. (laugh)
There is some topics about making rain effect using sprites on the beginner tech forum, would probably work as well with snow...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

WRK

I randomized size of snowflakes, so I created 3 layers:
small 1px (far away), medium 4px (closer) and large 6px.

In first two layers (small and medium) I tried to select
and move snowflakes by hand/mouse so I could trace their trajectory
(but I think it's not quite visible in my example),
but trajectory in frames with large snowlflakes is pure randomness
(since they're closest to the eye, they appear to move faster
without specific path).

I can host psd file for that if you'll need it.

Priabudiman

Quote from: WRK on Tue 10/03/2015 02:41:24
I randomized size of snowflakes, so I created 3 layers:
small 1px (far away), medium 4px (closer) and large 6px.

In first two layers (small and medium) I tried to select
and move snowflakes by hand/mouse so I could trace their trajectory
(but I think it's not quite visible in my example),
but trajectory in frames with large snowlflakes is pure randomness
(since they're closest to the eye, they appear to move faster
without specific path).

I can host psd file for that if you'll need it.

thank you so much WRK! That's totally much better than mine! if you dont mind, i would love to have the PSD so i can learn it up close!

WRK

Sure, here is the psd file.
(if you turn on Timeline in PS you should see all frames in sequence).
Although now that I'm looking at it I think it could still look better. Maybe 5 frames are not enough
for smooth animation of snowflakes? Hmmm...

Priabudiman

Quote from: WRK on Tue 10/03/2015 08:40:50
Sure, here is the psd file.
Although now that I'm looking at it I think it could still look better. Maybe 5 frames are not enough
for smooth animation of snowflakes? Hmmm...

thank you so much! i know, right? i just recently back to the engine and need to refamiliarize myself all over again. but im sure 5 frames is the limitation for the background yes?

Mandle

There are alternatives to using the 5 background frames:

Import the animated frames onto full-screen GUIs and use the Wait timer to control each frame...?

Priabudiman

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 10/03/2015 08:52:52
There are alternatives to using the 5 background frames:

Import the animated frames onto full-screen GUIs and use the Wait timer to control each frame...?

now that's nice! good to know, and it seems like i have A LOT to catch up and learn! haha

Synthetique

How about something like this? I just used the Type tool along some paths. 5 frames animation.

WRK

That is some unholy trickery and you, Sir are either a magician or devil's worshipper. :)
Really well done. When you wrote "Type tool" you mean that those snowflakes are
actually font characters?

Synthetique

Yes they are just simple periods in various fonts, opacity and boldness. Took me about 30 minutes to figure out a good way to do it, and another 20 to actually use the technique from scratch.

And yes I will give you all the info as soon as I have time to sit down again.

Monsieur OUXX

hey another solution instead of using Photoshop to generate a large animation is to use an AGS script, there are several modules that do the weather (including snow) effects.

Priabudiman

Quote from: Synthetique on Wed 11/03/2015 11:31:42
Yes they are just simple periods in various fonts, opacity and boldness. Took me about 30 minutes to figure out a good way to do it, and another 20 to actually use the technique from scratch.

And yes I will give you all the info as soon as I have time to sit down again.

lovely Sir! and that is 5 Frames!? would be awesome, if you dont mind sharing the PSD :) . learnt a lot from WRK's PSD and i want to know more from yours!

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 11/03/2015 11:52:35
hey another solution instead of using Photoshop to generate a large animation is to use an AGS script, there are several modules that do the weather (including snow) effects.

sadly, i remember that back in the day there is such plugins, and i already try to look for it again in the module section but the link is dead. and many people stating that its not working correctly with 3.3.3 and some directX problem?

Synthetique

I didn't save the PSD, but i can make a video showing the technique. I'm not good at explaining things in english.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Priabudiman on Wed 11/03/2015 14:10:58
sadly, i remember that back in the day there is such plugins, and i already try to look for it again in the module section but the link is dead. and many people stating that its not working correctly with 3.3.3 and some directX problem?
It's true that there's been a short period of time where the weather thingies were either too young or too old and didn't work properly. But if I recall, if you search modules (rather than plugins), there are at least one or two that qualify (I always forget their names but I think I recall that akumayo's one works well even with the latest AGS versions)

Synthetique

Hope this helps a bit. ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jKmyhWzEX0
(edit: added some music to make it less mind-numbing)

Can talk on skype later if you need more.

Snarky

Someone should really do a comprehensive list of all the different weather modules/plugins, quickly documenting their features, limitations and APIs, and their compatibility with different AGS versions (+ availability, though I'm sure they're all backed up somewhere). Then we should sticky it.

(The type path thing is a great trick. Meanwhile, I again have to rant against relying on multi-frame backgrounds for animation, with their built-in five-frame limit.)

Synthetique

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 11/03/2015 15:33:22
Someone should really do a comprehensive list of all the different weather modules/plugins, quickly documenting their features, limitations and APIs, and their compatibility with different AGS versions (+ availability, though I'm sure they're all backed up somewhere). Then we should sticky it.

(The type path thing is a great trick. Meanwhile, I again have to rant against relying on multi-frame backgrounds for animation, with their built-in five-frame limit.)

If the plugins work then that's awesome. But having a 5-frame animation should be fine for a start screen.

Priabudiman

Quote from: Synthetique on Wed 11/03/2015 15:26:59
Hope this helps a bit. ^^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwsCFj3cUY8

Can talk on skype later if you need more.

Billion of Thanks! ^^

Priabudiman

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 11/03/2015 15:33:22

maybe in the future it wont be limited to 5? meanwhile, i will be checking the modules suggested

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk