Where in the world is...? Or, Oldies, check in here!

Started by Andail, Thu 12/03/2015 10:36:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Andail

Since we've had some threads asking about long time members lately, I thought we could make this thread about trying to get oldies to return to the community, if only to say hi in this thread, and maybe write some lines about their current situation.

Anyone can write in here to add the names of long gone members!

I can think of too many to count, but here's a few just to get the ball rolling: Where in the world is Unilin? Rodekill? LasNaranjas? Ghormak? Helm? Goldmund? Mr Colossal? Pesty? etc.

(I do have many of these on Facebook, but let's pretend they're just gone without a trace and I have no idea what they're up to...)

AGA

Darth Mandarb

DragonRose, DGMacphee, Slypher and TheYak (YakSpit)

Monsieur OUXX

I don't know how old is Ashen but he's the one who answered all my beginner's questions back in the days.

Eric

Mr. Colossal just saw the release of the book version (by Amulet) of his popular webcomic Rutabaga.

ManicMatt

They're all in my basement handcuffed to radiators. If the AGS forums can't have them, nor can the world.

:wink:

Retro Wolf

I was testing a RON game for some kid named DarkWater a couple of years ago, no idea what happened to that guy.

Dualnames

There are people that just pursue other things. Las Naranjas logged in last an hour before i created my account. Let's just say nobody has seen me and LN online at the same time. Helm I believe left, then came back, then left again, he's drawing a lot, I have him on FB.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

BarbWire

Hi Fellow AGSers

I'm afraid I can't shed any light onto why certain Oldies, as they have been labelled (Or should this be Disciples of Chris Jones) have gone AWOL, but I do have a
theory as to why this may be. I have noticed that there seems to be a distinct lack of interest, shown by the AGS community, in playing games which the makers have
put a lot of time and effort into producing. Why is it that a game can show a couple of thousand viewings but have only been downloaded a handful of times? Also, very
few comments are made regarding content of these games and not many ratings given.
There are a few exceptions such as the brilliant Heroine's Quest. Also, Mudlarks is doing well, lately, but I wonder if this is because other sites have picked up on
these and this is helping their cause. It must be very disheartening for those members who work hard to bring cost free entertainment to others, only to have their offerings
virtually ignored. Perhaps this is why the Disciples have become disillusioned and, no doubt, decided to take their talents elsewhere. There are some real gems to be enjoyed
so come on get downloading, commenting and rating NOW! 

Retro Wolf

BarbWire, I think it depends where you upload your game.
I uploaded SpaceTwine to GameJolt two years ago. 568 plays.
Newgrounds 6 months ago, almost 8000 plays.

Also AGS database statistics can be misleading, because players don't have to go through it. Reality check has 300 downloads on the database, I know for a fact that the file has been downloaded 500 times. That's not even taking into account the sites that stole my games, and of course the RON website.

Maybe I just look at it a different way, I don't make games for other people, but for my own enjoyment. If I get just a few people telling me they liked it, then I'm happy.

But I do agree we should make more effort (myself included) to play more AGS projects.

BarbWire

Hi Retro Wolf

I read your comments with interest. I was not aware that games can be uploaded to
Gamejolt, or that download figures can be misleading. Thanks for the info.

Best wishes
BarbWire

ManicMatt

I'll be honest, my new game does feel ignored, but I was putting that down to the smaller active users there seems to be on here these days. I was also thinking "Maybe it doesn't appeal to people" but it wouldn't stop me from making any more games in the future, or it wouldn't be that reason if I didn't. I also have my previous game looming over with me 5000 odd downloads and only 128 downloads for my new one, but hey that was many years ago it was uploaded! I did make this game as a personal achievement to improve upon my previous game, but I also want as many people as possible to play it, but I am not sure on where is best to promote it. (It's free by the way)

LimpingFish

Quote from: BarbWire on Sun 15/03/2015 12:54:15
...but I do have a theory as to why this may be. I have noticed that there seems to be a distinct lack of interest, shown by the AGS community, in playing games which the makers have put a lot of time and effort into producing.

I very much doubt this is the reason.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Stupot

I felt that many of the 'oldies' who were well-established members by the time I got here all seemed to become less active or just disappear around about the same time that all the religious and moral "debates" were at their peak. Maybe that is what drove them away. Or maybe it was the opposite, and the fact that they left meant that the boards were less active so people got bored and started arguing about God instead. I could be way off but it seemed to be linked from where I was sitting.

Retro Wolf

People just grow up! Have kids, get real jobs. Priorities change.
Hobbies can evolve or change. I certainly don't check into the stop motion animation communities like I used to, I just don't do it anymore.

Andail

I do think this development is a bit sad, because while the community has seen a decline in the daily, casual activity, we create games like never before.

So while we now have the resources, skills and time to make great games, many of which are lucrative (well, I guess some are) commercial ventures, we spend less time being a community.

Dualnames

People move on, forums in general are into a decline, and this one is no exception.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

BarbWire

Hi ManicMatt

Always one to practice what I preach I have just downloaded LIMBO THE ADVENTURE GAME. I will give it a go, comment and rate it.

Best Wishes
BarbWire

Darth Mandarb

I just always assumed it was my smell that drove 'em all away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk