[BUG] Editor search/"go to definition"/"find all usages" not working

Started by Snarky, Sat 21/03/2015 14:00:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Having spent the last few weeks coding heavily in 3.3.3, there's one particular bug that really bothers me: The search, and the feature to "Go to definition"/"Find all usages" when right-clicking on a variable or constant, are very unreliable. For example, if I'm looking at a variable definition and want to see where it's used, it'll sometimes not bring up anything at all. But when I comment it out, I immediately get a bunch of compilation errors because it IS in fact used.

I haven't checked carefully exactly when this happens. I know that "go to definition" often does not work for global variables (but sometimes does), and for #define constants (maybe never does?). I think search will sometimes fail even if there are references in the current document, and seemingly even more often with references in other documents. It's possible this depends on when the file/project was saved/rebuilt, but the link is unclear to me.

I find this to be quite a serious problem, because it makes it very hard to check whether an edit will break something, or to track down bugs in my project. For example, if I know that a bug is caused by a certain variable being modified incorrectly, I need to be able to see every place in the code where that variable is touched, and right now I can't always do that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk