SOLVED: Font memory error

Started by Slasher, Mon 30/03/2015 19:20:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

This has started to happen:

any ideas?

cheers

Snarky

I get this a lot when I keep my AGS project in dropbox. I think it has to do with trying to access a file while dropbox is indexing it. (I've found in general that modifying files while they're being indexed leads to synchronization issues while dropbox tries to catch up.) The solution is simply to pause indexing while you're working. Just remember to turn it back on afterwards!

If that's not the problem, it might potentially be something serious, like failing hardware.

Slasher

Hi Snarky,

nothing to do with Dropbox.

I imported a new font I downloaded. I guess it was corrupted....possibly.

Anyhow, loaded backup game...

Crimson Wizard

Um um um, this kind of messages means that there's an error in program logic which makes it corrupt RAM. Most usually: unsafe reading or writing data, when program does not makes enough sanity checks, like if particular data makes sense (font character number is not super high, etc).

... and, as usual, no mention of what version of AGS, no link to the font file you import... Sure, we do not need to test what happens and fix the error.
oh well, at least we have "Adventure Game Studio" written on that message title bar, so we may guess it was really AGS you are using after all...

Snarky

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 30/03/2015 23:58:08
... and, as usual, no mention of what version of AGS, no link to the font file you import... Sure, we do not need to test what happens and fix the error.
oh well, at least we have "Adventure Game Studio" written on that message title bar, so we may guess it was really AGS you are using after all...

Relax, CW. If it wasn't obvious to Slasher that this was an AGS bug, how should he know that it was something that needed fixing?

Personally I experienced this frequently when building the Awards Ceremony, using AGS 3.3.3 with your special lateRepExec build. The problem was intermittent (it might fail on first attempt and then succeed on the second), and like I said, seemed to have to do with accessing files (I also got a different error when it couldn't successfully overwrite the files in the compiled directory). I don't think it happened outside of compilation. I could probably recreate the error if that would help.

Monsieur OUXX

The Dropbox scenario seems to be out of the way, so I'll just repeat CW's questions and add mine :

1) What exact version of AGS?
2) Please provide the font file
3) Did you ever manage to import that file? (i.e. does it always fail or does it fail intermittently?). You wrote : "this started to happen"
4) Do you have this kind of memory errors when you do other things? Not just fonts?
5a) What OS do you use? 5b) In what folder is your AGS installed? 5c) Do you run it as administrator?

Slasher

Monsieur OUXX

1: 3.2.1
2: OldNewspaperTypes TT (I now find it had security block on)
3: imported yes, but then error came up and messed all the fonts up (white background with red cross in some cases)
4: no
5a: win 7
5b: programs
5c: yes

Monsieur OUXX

you should provide your font file by uploading it onto the Internet.

Slasher

I'm going to import the font into a new game and see what happens..

Slasher

QuoteOldNewspaperTypes TT (I now find it had security block on)
with font security property block now OFF new game ok (nod)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk