Videos in AGS

Started by rickious, Fri 17/04/2015 10:59:32

Previous topic - Next topic

rickious

Can someone suggest an AGS game that uses good looking videos as intros or something so I can have a look at how well they look and play on different spec PCs?

I will have to try a few myself otherwise, see how it looks.
--COMING SOON--
'Body Pharm' beta demo.

Body Pharm - coming soon!

shaun9991

Our little game 'The Terrible Old Man' has a couple of videos in it. On older PCs they do run very jerky, but any computers from the last few years run them smoothly. HD video through AGS seems very jerky on even good computers though.
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Snarky

King's Quest II VGA has a lengthy intro that ends with a 3D-rendered video cutscene.
Resonance has a "live action" newscast video in its intro

Problem

Goat Herd and the Gods has a couple of high resolution video cut-scenes.

Crimson Wizard

Rrrrrrrrresonance :D.

Also, basically, every AGD Interactive remake of Sierra's Quest series has an intro video:
http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

Hmm, also Al Emmo has an animated cartoon video:
http://www.himalayastudios.com/alemmo.php

The Journey Down (low-res AGS version) had a great ending video (pre-rendered 3d).

Monsieur OUXX

Regarding performance: I think that the codec used to encode the video plays a large role in performance. If you encode a hi-resolution video using a codec that features lossless compression (RLE or such, usually meant to preserve good-looking pixel-art), then it's gonna be super slow...

Cassiebsg

My experience from Goat Herd and the Gods videos is that they hack and run very slow on my computer when run in AGS... however I have no problem running the same videos with Media Player or VLC on the same computer... :-\
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

rickious

Cheers.

I asked as i made my intro credits using rooms and had to time credits to sections of music.  This was hit and miss and my PC is a good rig, so I fear it will be all out of sync on different setups/laptops etc.  So, I thought I would make the outro in video form, so playtesters can compare intro/outro, see which are best.
--COMING SOON--
'Body Pharm' beta demo.

Body Pharm - coming soon!

Calin Leafshade

All The Way Down uses a video for the Sanctuary Interactive logo. Interestingly AGS videos are played at the res of the game window not the native res of the game so you can use it for things like high res logos.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Calin Leafshade on Wed 22/04/2015 14:32:01
All The Way Down uses a video for the Sanctuary Interactive logo. Interestingly AGS videos are played at the res of the game window not the native res of the game so you can use it for things like high res logos.
I am wondering if it is the same in both pre-custom resolution and custom res. AGS...

Calin Leafshade

I think that's always been the case since the video rendering in AGS is totally separate from the other graphical systems i think.

Mandle

One of the Space Quest remakes has that amazing video sequence that goes on for like forever where Roger fights the boss dude using the mop while jumping all over the rotating rings machine thingy...

I don't remember the exact situation but still remember being blown away by the video sequence...

Somebody else can probably remember exactly which game it was?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk