Not impressed with the mod warning!

Started by IndieRetroNews, Wed 22/04/2015 11:27:06

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieRetroNews

Don't start multiple threads on the same topic, particularly not with links to a site (your site?), which is easily perceived as spam.

I'm all for warnings, but firstly they were two separate games based on futurama! And two I have ALWAYS written articles and linked back to adventure game studio and the games developed on here ( SINCE 2012!!! ). Just because I link the two articles to my site, which was sent to me by the developers to let people know I feel the warning was a bit of a back stab.

If you don't want me to source Adventure Game Studio in future, then that's fine. :embarrassed:
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

CaptainD

I'm not a mod so I can only put my point of view - but you've been around the site quite a while, posted about a lot of adventure games (sure, with links to your site, but why not?) - but perhaps more importantly, you've helped to promote a lot of AGS-made games with your site.  The last two games both being based on Futurama and looking quite similar (at first glance) maybe muddled the issue slightly.  I'm sure this can be resolved amicably though :).

IndieRetroNews

Thank you CaptainD!

Hopefully every thing will be sorted, we don't aim to spam our site here however we wish to work in some way with Adventure Game Studio. Yes we do mention our site on occasion but in cooperation 90% of the adventure games that come from AGS are linked back to this forum and the website. We even did an article on CaptainD's previous game.

I think what has happened is the mod saw "Futurama" and put two and two together as the same game from the same developer, which was not the case. Yes we would link directly to their website, but then we might as well close our site down and not write anything for the developers who sent us the news in the first place.
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

AGA

I wasn't the one who gave the warning, but of course you could have quite easily made one thread saying something like "Two separate Futurama fangames being developed!".  The same rules apply to everyone, regardless of how long they've been here, and how much help they may have provided the community!

IndieRetroNews

Quote from: AGA on Wed 22/04/2015 13:48:13
I wasn't the one who gave the warning, but of course you could have quite easily made one thread saying something like "Two separate Futurama fangames being developed!".  The same rules apply to everyone, regardless of how long they've been here, and how much help they may have provided the community!

I tend not to do that, the reason is I would like to keep game developers notifications separate from each other. I mean why not close the games in production section and just make one thread for all the up coming games. It's much neater this way, there was seriously no need for a warning, a simple PM would've sufficed. Politeness goes a long way

Darth Mandarb

I can see what you're saying but I kind of have to go with AGA on this one.

I come up against this kind of thing a few times a month in the GiP.  I don't like enforcing the rules on people that have been around for a long time but still, the rules are the rules (for a reason) and they cease being rules if we pick and choose who to apply them to.

A warning really isn't a big deal (not a ban or anything like that).

Just keep truckin' on and spreading the word.

I, personally, like reading what you post and think you do a good service for adventure games (and indie games in general) so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

IndieRetroNews

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 22/04/2015 14:14:15
I, personally, like reading what you post and think you do a good service for adventure games (and indie games in general) so I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Cheers buddy, I guess the way the warning came across and the fact that it was a warning felt like I'd just joined to cause a problem for the forum.. Still one warning since 2012 isn't too bad eh

:smiley:

CaptainD

Quote from: IndieRetroNews on Wed 22/04/2015 14:16:10
Still one warning since 2012 isn't too bad eh

It almost sounds like you're not trying... :P

Cassiebsg

Actually, I thought it was the same game and that for some odd reason you posted it twice (like one just said Futurama and the other had an extra title to it)... :-[

I think in this case, and since you posted them on the same day, using the same thread would have been neater, as nobody would have then thought that it was the same game and not just double posting. Which in my book would have been a better service to both productions. Have a feeling that's why no one replied on the second thread... I know I didn't cause of it.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Snarky

I was the mod that sent the warning and merged the threads. One of the posts was reported, and looking at them it was not clear (when not seeing them side-by-side) that they were different games. So I'll admit that this was a mistake on my end. Still, I think a more detailed or direct post might have made the distinction clear, instead of the teaser+link format that requires people to visit your site for the meat of the information.

Mandle

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 22/04/2015 16:42:53
Actually, I thought it was the same game and that for some odd reason you posted it twice (like one just said Futurama and the other had an extra title to it)... :-[

Yeah...I also thought it was just a weird double-up of the same thread, as if two people from your gaming site had read the same memo to "Make sure we post this game on AGS forums today" and had both made their own posts without telling each other about it or something...

So yeah...I can see how the warning happened without meaning disrespect to yourself or the effort you put into supporting the AGS community...

I don't know if you know about the insane effort Snarky put into revamping the AGS Awards this year but I for one can tell you that he is all about helping the AGS community and that this was obviously just a big misunderstanding...

NickyNyce

I'll throw this in here too. I also thought it was one game posted twice. I didn't see any clear distinction between the two and was wondering why you did it. So yeah, I think it would have been better to use one thread and show both games, if only because it was very confusing. I totally understand why you did it now, and it makes sense, it was just confusing.

CaptainD

Quote from: Mandle on Thu 23/04/2015 15:35:05
I don't know if you know about the insane effort Snarky put into revamping the AGS Awards this year but I for one can tell you that he is all about helping the AGS community and that this was obviously just a big misunderstanding...

+1!

Snarky

Well thanks, but I don't think that has any bearing on the issue at hand. I do my best to handle moderation decisions in a fair and reasonable manner (as do all the other mods, I am sure, even if we sometimes see things differently), and if people disagree then they should complain. This was true before I did any work on the Awards client, and should remain the case now.

This was my mistake, so to IndieRetroNews: I'm sorry. I do think the announcements could have been made in a clearer way to avoid the confusion that seems to have affected a number of us, whether by putting them in one thread or by being more explicit about the difference in the separate posts.

Anyway, I've undone the warning and the thread-merge (which unfortunately had the side-effect of overwriting the subject of one of them), and thereby consider the matter closed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk