Tune Contest May - Music is Reversible (WINNER ANNOUNCED)

Started by Cuiki, Fri 24/04/2015 14:18:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuiki

Secret messages are a real thing. Backmasking is the work of Satan, designed to corrupt young unsuspecting souls for his own evil agenda.
You have been warned. Share this on all your social media in the next seven minutes or else Satan will enter through your ears and take over your feeble mind. Take Sammy for example. He didn't listen to this advice, and went on to become a rock musician. He now writes songs that contain Satanic messages when played backwards. He can make all sorts of claims about coincidence, tendency to hear what you want to hear and deliberate jokes, but deep down... deep down he knows he has now become the Messenger of Satan.

THEME:

For this tune contest, I'd like you to make a track with a short hidden message in it. Go for any genre you want, and there are no restrictions on the length (but try to make it longer than 20 seconds or so). The only rule is that somewhere in there you hide a backward message, which can be anything from your own recorded voice to a sample you found on the internet. You can even go for something like Morse code - as long as your chosen format lets you convey some sort of message.

When you're posting the track, post it without the "unreversed" version, so that people can find and decode the message for themselves.

If you're looking for some inspiration, check out the first minute of Electric Light Orchestra's Fire on High Fire on High. (Feel free to make your entry subtler or less deep than that, of course. :))

The contest will close on 25th May, unless somebody asks for an extention.
Have fun... and don't listen to those songs in a dark room with headphones on at the full volume. :tongue:
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

vertigoaddict

Oh this sounds like fun
nuf ekil sdnuos siht ho

Cuiki

boojiboy

This is very silly.
Enjoy.

Cuiki

Juan Dahmen

I was going to make a track named Reverse Biaz (if you know that guy), but then, somehow something "deeper" happened and couldn't be undone.
So here's a sort of calm, relaxed, poetic, deep, haunting, death metal piece with a reversed voice message.

Peace and keep on working :)

selmiak

I think this is the first time I'm entering one of these music compos. Have fun decoding this very meaningful and true hidden message! :-D

clicky loady

Cuiki

Two more entries, cool. ;-D

Spoiler
I'm having a bit of trouble deciphering your messages, though.. :embarrassed:
[close]

10 days to go!

selmiak

actually you don't have to fiddle around with the audio at all or reverse it or so. It is all there in plain view, but it depends on your view at things...
yes, that was a hint, but hopefully not a a giveaway.

Cuiki

Oh... this is almost like AGS Cryptic. :P
Okay, I'll give it another go when I get home.

Wyz

I've been working on something but it's not quite where I want it to be; I'd like an extension if that is okay with everyone. :-[
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

Cuiki

You got it. :)

How about 28th May (until midnight GMT)?

selmiak

Quote from: selmiak on Wed 13/05/2015 01:13:10
I think this is the first time I'm entering one of these music compos. Have fun decoding this very meaningful and true hidden message! :-D
clicky loady

To get closer to the hidden message, just open it in some audioeditor, for example audacity, and change the view from wave view to spectographic view ;)
in audactiy you do this by clicking on the name of the file in the track view...

Wyz

Thanks Cuiki! Just a bit more of tinkering and I'm done. :-D
This must be the most contrived song I've ever made. ;D

Cuiki

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 25/05/2015 19:41:46
To get closer to the hidden message, just open it in some audioeditor, for example audacity, and change the view from wave view to spectographic view ;)
Oh... yeah, you rock! :=

That's okay Wyz, looking forward to seeing your creation!

Wyz

Ok, I could tinker with this more but I'm just going to call it finished. ;)
Without further ado:

Clouded words (2m45)

Spoiler

I went a bit overboard with this: there are messages hidden in the song using six different methods. Gotta collect 'em all!
No, not really; most of them are just red herrings. :P
[close]

Cuiki

Wow, this is fun. :D

I got this far:
Spoiler
- the recurring "keep looking" when you slow down the speed.
- a reverse message at 2:28 saying "No, this is not the secret message."

There's obviously something at 2:20 (another reverse message, possibly) that I can't make out at all...

And the bit at 0:42 sounds like it could be a morse or binary code, but it's not easy to hear over the sound of the cymbals and other things. :undecided:
[close]

Random people of AGS, let's join our forces and decipher this together!

Cuiki

Thanks so much to everyone who entered. :)

I had no idea picking the winner would be so hard. So let's do something similar to the previous competition - tell me your opinions, who should win and why, and I'll take it all into account when choosing the winning entry.

Wyz

Quote from: Cuiki on Wed 27/05/2015 20:25:49
Wow, this is fun. :D

I got this far: (...)

Thanks! :D Yes you've found a couple of them, well done! :D
A couple of hints:
Spoiler

You've found the first reversed message, the second one says: "That would've been way too obvious" ;)

The "keep looking" is correct, for the third:
Spoiler

You have slowed down, how about speeding up things. :D
[close]

I have to agree that the Morse code is not very easy to make out: that was one of those things a kept tinkering with but couldn't get it right.
Spoiler

Well the result will be a bit disappointing; since it is not the real secret message :D
[close]

For the final two encodings:
Spoiler

The melody that starts after the Morse code and is repeated actually is a secret message. :D
Spoiler

One hint for that: Sol re sol

But actually: it still is not the real message :D
Spoiler

The final and real message can be found the same way as selmiak's one.
For parts of it you need to zoom in on certain patterns.
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

I've also listened to the others and tried decoding them. I had a lot of fun doing so. :D

Flexa has a nineteens vibe which I like, really nice song.
Spoiler
When you reverse it you get it immediately and also why it is called 'FlexA', pretty clever! :D I couldn't really make out the reversed words but it sounded as "I thought I put a grenade in my pants!" to me. :D
[close]

Selmiak's entry was also pretty clever; the music part is unfortunately a bit short. :D
Spoiler
I'm wondering how you did the modulation part. I didn't check out the other songs before I made mine so I was surprised to see this similar idea. :D
[close]

'There is' is a nice piece of ambient which is well listened to; I like it.
Spoiler
I could not make out what the reversed message says unfortunately. :(
[close]

Well I had fun working on this and checking out the other entries; very nice theme. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk