Test and feedback Body Pharm Beta Demo

Started by rickious, Mon 27/04/2015 20:02:26

Previous topic - Next topic

rickious

Latest ‘beta' demo version of ‘Body Pharm'.

To briefly outline what I would like.  This initial beta demo is being used as the university degree coursework for the sound/music producer I have used.  So I want you guys to download and play the beta demo, and email/PM or reply here with constructive, descriptive feedback.  In return for all the constructive ones, I will add your name to the credits of the full demo (which will be used for crowdfunding bids) in the credits for the full game, and also potentially on press releases, printed game instructions etc etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uc0j5ksk3kfckeq/BodyPharmBeta17April2015V1.zip?dl=0

This beta version is for feedback only. If you get frustratingly stuck or bored, please download and watch this video playthrough below and still provide quality feedback if you would like a 'Beta Tester' credit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdrw1gpeocbje10/BodyPharmBeta17April2015VIDEOS.zip?dl=0

Does get to the end of the demo, but no credits yet, possibly some bugs, and lots of interactions, comments etc missing which might help the flow of the game.

Ending credits can be downloaded here...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8mgsy4runqqq356/Sequence%2001_1.f4v?dl=0

It will have some more features for the full version of the demo which will be used for the crowdfunding bid.  I can send that version when it is done, but probably later in the year.

UPCOMING FEATURES FOR THE CROWDFUNDING DEMO VERSION…
•   Voice acting for the protagonist, either just for the speech parts, or ideally the displayed thoughts too
•   Lots more interactions for when you try and look at, touch, talk/eat/drink every item in every room
•   More clutter objects
•   Cloths for the protagonist
•   Lift will be initially be broken and a puzzle for fixing it
•   The little robot in it, probably as a maintenance bot.
•   CCTV cameras in every room
•   Interact with CCTV cameras to ask IRIS questions about the room or items in the room or selected inventory items
•   A note book that you can use on rooms/items to note down items of interest
•   A hand drawn map which is added to when you enter new rooms to help navigate (same style as notepad, toggle to show/hide in corner)

UPCOMING IN THE FULL VERSION
•   1-2 more floors/areas underneath the demo level
•   Unlock/access level 1 and 2 of the demo area
•   Get outside and explore the local area, possibly beyond
•   NPCs
•   Robots (1-2 types at least)
•   Medical/science equipment related challenges/puzzles
•   Possibly other playable characters

So, please follow these guidelines for feedback.

NAME (full name if you are happy to have it in the credits etc)
JOB TILE - or whatever you consider your indie/AGS job title eg AGS game developer, AGS forum admin, game artist etc.
WEBSITE - If you have a gamedev related website/twitter account/portfolio/devientart etc/or even a link to your user profile on AGS, I will potentially include that on the credits/any other literature.
FEEDBACK - Feedback on the gameplay, and in particular the SFX and music.  Please be full and constructive, dont just be a hater or just say "It was cool" or anything.  To get a beta credit you will need to post at least a few sentences.

So, quality feedback provided with a full name and gamedev/AGS related title (just make one up that technically fits what you do) will recieve a beta credit in the full damo, full version, and potentially on other printed and online references to the game. ALSO a link to your website/user profile/portfolio can be used to for extra publicity for you, your AGS game etc.

A massive AGS thank you for anyone who helps.  (nod)

Note to AGS staff/devs etc - I have included the AGS logo and credited AGS, if you want to check the intro in the demo, and the end credits video and let me know if there is any problem and I will change it ASAP.
--COMING SOON--
'Body Pharm' beta demo.

Body Pharm - coming soon!

Frikker

I will give this a go next week as I am on holiday all for 9 days so will have plenty of free time at home. If thats not too Kate?

Frikker

Late...... I meant late. Kate should not be getting involved in this.
Go away Kate, nobody likes you.

rickious

Hahahahaha, Kate can also give feedback, but i feel like she just sneaked into this thread so maybe she should just leave.  ???

Dude, so long as its decent feedback, constructive, be specific about the music/anbiance, and SFX.  The game itself is early beta and so had lots of stiuff missing, particularly interactioins with details in the rooms.
--COMING SOON--
'Body Pharm' beta demo.

Frikker

no problem. ill contact you later next week then :)

rickious

--COMING SOON--
'Body Pharm' beta demo.

Frikker

just to let you know, i started playing / reviewing your game tonight, i havent forgotten :) i will be playing again tomorrow night and will post a review soon after.

Ps, apoloigies to all for the lack of punctuation , its very late and the punctuation key is broken on my ipad......... ahem .

.........and so is the capital i key..........

Matthew

Frikker

Sorry for the delay in this , I've been very busy recently and I wanted to wait until I had some proper time to type this rather than give you a useless quick word or two because I was in a rush.......

Anyway, firstly , please note that I have only got to the room with the security door so far , so I don't know how much further I have to go, but I didn't want to keep you waiting much longer and felt I had a good bit of info scribbled down in my notepad to give you something worth reading. Secondly , I wanted to put this on here rather than a PM so others who may critique your game could see my opinions and If there was something very stupid or unreasonable that I had wrote, they could point it out so you didn't end up believing it or taking it too seriously. - If this happens, I shall blame Kate. The Bitch.

Name - Matthew Fricker
Job title - AGS tea lady
Website - My games not that far on yet but ill keep you posted.

Ill concentrate on the music/SFX first as I know that was what you mainly wanted critiquing on.
Overall, I found the whole of the music/SFX very professional. The quality was exceptional and there were no disappointing jumps or crackling etc. It all felt very well rounded and suited the game greatly.
My immediate reaction , right from the very start of the game was that the music and SFX felt very Resident Evil. The first ever Resident evil Game set in the mansion mainly. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the game, but as you are exploring the mansions many rooms , there is usually faint music playing in the background which is a similar style to yours, especially the piano parts and the sudden sounds. If you were trying to replicate the style of the RE1 music then well done you succeeded, if not and it is a happy co-incidence then you must be doing something right as RE1 is a great horror game so your on the right track. Also the Girls voice at the start that says AGS is very similar in style to the Girl (red queen) computer voice in the first RE film.

I also enjoyed the music at the start when the credits and security camera views are playing. It really sets the atmoshphere and gets you in the mood, and gives you an initial preview of what the game is like before you even begin to play.

As for the SFX, I liked the way the noise changed when you walked over the broken glass, things like that are a nice touch that people often forget and it really polishes the game off when the little details are there. The rest of the SFX were equally as high quality also and to be fair, I have no real negative criticism at all where the music/SFX are concerned.Each interaction was accompanied by suitable, high quality sounds that were just what you expected from the action you had done, nothing out of the ordinary or mismatched. Perhaps the only thing i missed was that there was no dialogue , for obvious reasons , but i note that you are planning to add NPC's so its not really an issue.

As for critiquing the rest of the game, I found it very interesting and it kept me glued to my seat, and If i had time , i would have  kept playing. What part I played, kept me intrigued and wanting to progress more and more as there were so many unanswered questions, and the further you played, the more the mystery increased. I loved the atmosphere you created and the quality of the backgrounds is superb, you can really tell that so far, you and your team have put a lot of time and effort into this game and If you continue like this, it is sure to be a hit.
A few more plus points : I really liked the way you can look up and down when you are looking inside the cabinet as if you are looking up and down in real life, I like how you did that as it is more realistic than trying to cram it all onto one page or jumping between two.
Also ,the way you can scroll through the actions with your mouse wheel makes for quick, smooth game-play.

As for any negative points:

-I found that the cursor on the menu screen was out of place as it didn't match.
-The eye cursor moves when you hover over the security cameras, as if you can interact with it but you cant, it also does this on the water machine.
-when you get out of your cell, it is hard to position the cursor in a way so you can get back in easily.
-"dispensor" is spelt wrong, at least in the United Kingdom, here we spell it dispenser and my spell-check confirms that.
-at the level 4 door , he says "the door is locked light" which I presume , should be "tight"
-He says "i need to go back through cell 5" , but you have come through "lab" 5 so i assume this is a typo too
- "nope , it doesnt work with any of my fingerprints" - apostrophe missing in doesn't
- i find that his ponytail doesn't move naturally with his body and appears to be glued to his back.
- I personally feel that the watch icon when he is walking or doing something is unnecessary and a bit annoying.
- he tends to bump into things a lot whilst he is walking.

These are just my own opinions so take them how you like, I will continue to play and update you if I find anything else I like or dislike. Hope it helps and again, I apologise for the delay.
Happy AGS'ing

Frikker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk