GK Style Portrait

Started by joelphilippage, Thu 30/04/2015 02:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

joelphilippage

Hey all. Been a while.

I've been working on developing a portrait style for a future game. I would normally paint from scratch, but I'm going for a photo-realistic quality and am painting over mixed and matched photos. I have been using Gabriel Knight as an inspiration because I want to give that dark feel the portraits in that game have.

It's definitely not polished yet, but am looking for some input. Is the blue too vibrant? Do the images blend well? In your opinion, would it be better to start from scratch like my portraits on Quasar?

-Thank you.

SilverSpook

Cool idea.

I'd say the right half looks a little more photo-real than the left half.  The hair and the eye especially.  Maybe up the painterliness of the right half, or at least decrease the granularity of the palette?  Basically try using less colors and/or wider brush strokes.  Optionally you could do a "Legacy" contrast op on the right half, and bump the contrast setting up near 100%.  Might not be able to use the image produced, but it might give you an idea of how to make it more "gamey" looking, in the retro Gabriel Knight sense of "gamey". 

cat

Her dotted shirt stands out, you should also apply the light effects there.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk