Background Blitz - Mystic's House - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by GreenBeams, Thu 07/05/2015 14:44:49

Previous topic - Next topic

JudasFm

Thanks :D This is the first time I've tried doing a background of my own; most of mine up until now have been remakes of old Sierra screens just to get the feel for it :) And the less said about my early MSPaint backgrounds, the better, I think :-[ It doesn't match most of the backgrounds on this threat (that Gypsy wagon is amazing) but I'm quite pleased with it.

And yep, there's nothing wrong with liking children's picture books XD I'm with you on that one

aikex222

There are so much wonderful works here that i couldn't resist and join in :-D
Still a WIP.
Spoiler
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/WXdLHIw.png[/imgzoom]
[close]

JudasFm

Quote from: aikex222 on Fri 22/05/2015 10:52:30
There are so much wonderful works here that i couldn't resist and join in :-D
Still a WIP.
I like it ;-D Even if it's a WIP, it's very atmospheric.

GreenBeams

bing-bong-bing  Calling all late comers and WIP folk - 6 Hours left 'til voting time...that is all.   bing-bong-bing

Dropped Monocle Games

okay, well it seems like I'm gonna be out of time! I have finished the line art and will try to get the colour done, but this may have to be my finished entry :/

here is the finished line art

I hate to be that guy, and I'm working non stop to get this finished, but maybe extend the finish line by 24 hours?? :) no worries if not

aikex222

ok, here is my final image
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/ypIGfZn.png[/imgzoom]

glad you liked it judas :-D

Dropped Monocle Games

could we get a 24 hour extension? :kiss:

GreenBeams

Voting to start at the END of 25th..? It's like still the 25th but it'll give you 23.something extra hours.

That ok?

aikex222

Thanks greenbeams by this extra time  :smiley:

Monsieur OUXX

OH F*CK is it the deadline already??? Damn. :'( (unhappy mr. ouxx)

Dropped Monocle Games

Right! I have been working overtime to get this finished!! but here it is... I still didn't have time do shading/shadows but oh well!

Without Woo

Large Version

Mandle

Oh wow!!! What a feast of detail! Yum-yum!

* Mandle puts on a bib!

GreenBeams

Valiant efforts everyone! Well done to all the entrants and let's get started on the voting!
Click on the name above the picture to see the fullsize image.... er hopefully =)

Aikex222

Anke

Cassiebsg

Daniel Thomas

Grok

Grundislav

JudasFM

JWalt

Sox

TGames

Ykni

Mandle

Concept: JudasFM (Because "giant platypus island"... 'Nuff said...)

Artistic Execution: Daniel Thomas (This was a hard choice between many beautifully rendered scenes but the lighting, mood, and the beautiful flaking paint on the wagon's roof made this piece a must for me...)

Playability: TGames (This look would be perfect in a game that even toddlers could play and understand. One of my preschool class students could look at this background and understand what they were looking at without getting confused by details, and where the goal lies. For that reson I must choose this piece...)

Mad

Unfortunately never got past the initial sketch on this one...

Concept: Anke - like the slightly different angle to the theme. On second glance, one gets a glance into an intriguing back story, methinks.

Artistic Execution: Daniel Thomas - beautiful stuff, great lighting!

Playability: Sox - Character scaling might be an issue, but who gives a s#@$ when there is soooo much to point and click at.

loominous

Was a really nice topic, but alas Witcher stole all my attention.

Concept: Anke - cool idea with a seedy tacky looking shop to contrast the images the topic usually conjures up, quite unmystical.

Artistic execution: Daniel Thomas - just depressingly well executed in all areas.

Playability: Daniel Thomas - in spite of a low nice angle, making it more of a challenge playability wise, it looks like it ought work quite well, so nicely pulled off.
Looking for a writer

JudasFm

Voting was hard, but here goes...

Concept: Grok. I love the idea of floating stones; it puts me in mind of the old Sierra games, where you had to figure out by trial-and-error which ones would kill you :-D

Artistic execution: Ykni. Clear-cut and with some nice variety, yet it's not cluttered with too many objects that would detract from the main scene.

Playability: Ykni. For much the same reasons as above :P

GreenBeams

Concept - JudasFM - the story has stayed with me and makes me want to find out even more about it.

Artistic Execution - Daniel Thonmas - Not because i'm a fanboy or anything...honest. Nah, i could just look at this for hours (and have!)

Playability - Anke - I could really see myself playing and enjoying this.

selmiak

So many good entries, it's really hard to vote for only one for each category, but here we go:

Concept: Sox
Artistic execution: Daniel Thomas
Playability: Anke

Grundislav

Concept:Daniel Thomas
Artistic Execution: Daniel Thomas
Playability:Ykni

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk