Games Someone is Working On

Started by Gurok, Sat 09/05/2015 01:45:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

I don't know how tough this would be to implement, but it would be nice if profiles of users with games in development could have links to the threads of games they're currently working on. Sort of like how finished game credits are listed now. Oftentimes I'll pull up someone's profile, realise they have a game in development but have no way (other than a tedious Games in Production search) to find it. I would do it by writing a query for all threads opened by that user in the Games in Production forum that haven't been locked :D. Don't know how hard this is to add.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

[delete}

1+  clever idea

AGA

The single easiest way would be to have just 'In Production' as a game length (instead of 'demo' or 'full length' or whatever).  Then the usual layout could be used, including the link to the GiP thread.

Should probably change things a bit to ignore some info like ratings, completed games threads etc etc, but the basic games page layout could be used this way, and it would feed into the list of games on a user's profile.

LimpingFish

I don't know...I mean, a lot of games never come out of production. It might just end up becoming a monument to dead projects. :-\

Wouldn't a simple GiP link in a person's signature be just as effective? The user would have to take the time to do this themselves, of course...
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

AGA

We could also maybe have a 'In Progress (Halted)' status too in that case.  Or just move the game back to Uncategorised to take it off the radar.  I could change the forums profile thing to ignore games with a status of On Hold...

selmiak

This is a very usefull idea and addition. Will these gip show up in the all games list? Imho they shouldn't.
But when using the  Search Games by Title or Author: function there should be a checkbox for including GiP entries. And these GiP results should have something like these good old under construction signs where completed games show their cup ratings in the search result or something similar so that it is very obvious this game is not completed yet. This checkbox could be checked already so that the user will find out himself if he wants to include these or not, otherwise he might not even notice the checkbox. And if the user has a forumaccount the decision for this checkbox could even be saved for future searches. my 2 cents. :)

Thinking about these search results, I think it could also be handy if search results for games that are commercial and only have a link to the gamedemo from the game entry page could have some cash symbol in the search results added to them. No idea how accurate it would be to filter results for Download Demo entries and only hit commercial games.

Darth Mandarb

Pros:
  • this could encourage people to keep their production going
  • this could encourage the game's author to make more regular updates their GiP threads
  • this could encourage greater activity for games in production

Cons:
  • with the increased exposure; long "dead" GiP threads would, most likely, be necro-posted to far more often

I'm not too worried about the only "con" listed above because a lot of people put the link to their GiP threads in their sigs anyway.

So I don't think this would be much different. 

I wonder if there'd be a way to disable the link to the GiP thread if it hasn't been active in 90+ days?

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Mon 18/05/2015 16:42:04
I wonder if there'd be a way to disable the link to the GiP thread if it hasn't been active in 90+ days?

Sounds very doable to me...

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 10/05/2015 01:02:29
I don't know...I mean, a lot of games never come out of production. It might just end up becoming a monument to dead projects. :-\

Wouldn't a simple GiP link in a person's signature be just as effective? The user would have to take the time to do this themselves, of course...

I agree with both points:
1) There are so many unfinished projects. Like, 20 for one finished.
2) The signature is good enough isn't it?

selmiak

Warning - There has been no post in this topic for at least 120 days.
Please consider starting a new topic unless you are sure you want to reply.
:(

And there I just came to this part of the forum to open exactly this thread :P

*push*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk