Critique on Background

Started by TGames, Sat 23/05/2015 03:10:32

Previous topic - Next topic

TGames

Hello, I was practicing making backgrounds and I made this

I just wanted to know what everybody thinks, and how I can make it better. Also, I made this in Paint.net, I wanted to know if anybody knows any tips or shortcuts to make a background like this in that program.
Thank You!:-D

SilverSpook

Nice start!  You might want to think about adding in some more texture to the cave walls?  Like random rocks/boulders sticking out, ridges, valleys, etc.  You can just throw down a lot of random lighter and darker parts, sharply contrasting to show jaggedy-ness.  It's a bit smooth for a cave, I think.

aikex222

One of the thing i learned here at this forum is that the contrast can really make a difference, like silverspook said.
I decided to just play a little with the light just to make an example

nothing serious just that you can see the differences.

TGames

I Added some detail to the sides of the Caves

@aikex222 I don't know if I can do that in paint.net.:~( If I can, I would like to know how.

aikex222

I used blend mode
http://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/BlendModes.html

not sure if that is the best way since i'm not really good at digital painting xD

TGames

Thank You for letting me know:-D

Ghost

The added details to the cave walls is a good first step. I suggest you refine the contrast some more; check out aikex's edit and play around with it. So far you go from the very bright outside scenery to a still rather bright "inside". The contrast should be much stronger since the "player" stands inside a cave and looks into an opening to the outside. In real life they would be almost blinded by the light-  the foreground should be much darker.
You could also add a "4th Wall" by placing some boulders/stalagmites/rubble to frame the view. It's a common trick and can help a lot to create more depth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk