Pyxel Edit, Game Crash

Started by Shrew, Thu 28/05/2015 17:18:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrew

Hey yall,

So Pyxel Edit, ever try it?

Using Pyxel Edit to make rooms, then export them via "Rooms" subsection on Properties tab in AGS. I am using AGS's 'Default Game' setting.

It is crashing my game. Then I decided to rest my computer and charged it. Deleted old game, made new game. Tested out Default Game character on black screen Room provided by AGS. Worked fine. Imported a Room I made from Pyxel Edit, something would always be off. Stopped crashing, but would freeze. Or my character would freeze.

So. Looking for different routes of making Rooms. Any recommendations?

Love Pyxel Edit, but. If it does not work, I need to keep moving and find what does.
I am not against paying for good program.

Do not like Photoshop though.

Reason I say that is because I checked the Forums for opinions and it seems like a lot of AGS uses Photoshop primarily.

GIMP seems like another winner but I am making low-res. Aseprite seemed unrefined compared to Pyxel Edit.

What has worked for you?

Slasher

Maybe Pyxel Edit saves in a weird format. The best format for ags graphics is .png

I use PaintShop Pro.

Snarky

AGS doesn't care what application you use to draw your backgrounds. It only cares what file format you save it in. As slasher says, you should save in .PNG format.

Quote from: Shrew on Thu 28/05/2015 17:18:27
Using Pyxel Edit to make rooms, then export them via "Rooms" subsection on Properties tab in AGS. I am using AGS's 'Default Game' setting.

That doesn't sound right, but I'm not sure whether that's because you're doing something strange, or just using non-standard words to describe it.

What you should do is:
-In Pyxel Edit, draw your background and save it as an image file (in .PNG format)
-In the AGS editor, create a new room (or select an existing one) from the "Rooms" node in the project explorer (you create a new room by right-clicking on "Rooms")
-Select the "Edit room" node for that room in the project explorer (by double clicking)
-On the tab that opens, click the "Change..." button (next to the "Display background" dropdown)
-Select the image file you created

That's it.

QuoteIt is crashing my game. Then I decided to rest my computer and charged it. Deleted old game, made new game. Tested out Default Game character on black screen Room provided by AGS. Worked fine. Imported a Room I made from Pyxel Edit, something would always be off. Stopped crashing, but would freeze. Or my character would freeze.

You need to be more specific than this. "It is crashing my game": When does it crash? What is the error message? "would freeze": What does this mean? "my character would freeze": What does this mean? One possible interpretation is that you couldn't move the character around the room; this is expected, because when you import a new background it resets all walkable areas, and a character can't walk unless it's on a walkable area. So you have to draw it (explained in the tutorial).

Charging your laptop shouldn't make any difference, unless your applications usually crash when you're low on battery (and in that case there's something seriously wrong with your machine).

Shrew

Snarky, maybe the computer is just having a bad day.

I am kidding.

They were saved as PNG.

Give me a few minutes to try out what you told me to do.

I am following densming's Youtube for Rooms, so I am using "Change" to import the Room.

Shrew

Works now. I realized I had been doing exactly what you told me to do. But I did it a million times last night.

We had some tornadoes in the area last night, so maybe that was it. Right, Snarky. It is plausible.

I did a full scan on PC and it is fine, I use this one solely for gaming, so not much (more) is on it.

:-\

Thanks, anyway!

Snarky

Glad you've worked it out!

I think it's more probable that you were doing something slightly different yesterday (or had done something different earlier on that had broken the project without you realizing it). Sometimes things don't seem to work until you get a bit of practice with it, and then afterwards you're never able to figure out what went wrong in the first place. (I don't remember whether it was Asimov or Gibson, or both, who talked about a similar effect when lab techs try to replicate some breakthrough, and can't do it until the original inventor/discoverer comes over and makes some apparently irrelevant adjustments to the equipment; and then once they've got it working once, they can do it on their own no problem.)

Ah, I found it:

Quote from: William Gibson, "New Rose Hotel"He  said  that there was a certain wild factor in lab work. The edge
of Edge, he called it. When a researcher  develops  a  breakthrough,  others
sometimes  find  it  impossible to duplicate the first researcher's results.
This was even  more  likely  with  Hiroshi,  whose  work  went  against  the
conceptual   grain  of  his  field.  The  answer,  often,  was  to  fly  the
breakthrough boy from lab to corporate lab for a ritual laying on of  hands.
A  few  pointless  adjustments in the equipment, and the process would work.
Crazy thing, he said, nobody knows why it works that way, but  it  does.  He
grinned.

Shrew

Im sure "breakthrough boy" liked being called that. Sounds like the name of the dullest superhero ever.

"Breakthrough boy, help us!"
"Hey. Stop Yelling. I can't think. I could be curing cancer right now."

Quote"Another categorization of thought distinguishes between automatic and controlled processes. In theory, automatic processes are inevitably engaged by particular inputs, regardless of the subject's intention -- although lately some attention has been given to conditional automaticity. Moreover, the execution of automatic processes consumes few or no attentional resources. Thus, automatic processes operate outside of phenomenal awareness and voluntary control. They are unconscious in the strict sense of the word." (Oxford University Press, 1996)

RickJ

Sounds like inspiration for an adventure game  :-D

Breakthrough Boy
The Dullest Superhero Ever
Through the power of automicity he unconsciously saves the world!

Shrew

Hahaha! I actually laughed. Yes. It can be a game on how to avoid helping people that think they need a superperson to do stuff for them just because they are there. Then you cure diseases, and The End. 8-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk