Fallout 4

Started by Mouth for war, Wed 03/06/2015 17:49:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim

Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 08/06/2015 10:40:42
Quote from: Grim on Mon 08/06/2015 09:17:06
Why can't they make a CAT companion?... (my only complaint, otherwise, I was among those looking at the clock counting down at Bethesda's website :P)
Have you ever seen a cat rip out a man's throat?

Wouldn't that make cats perfect companions in games which are all about killing enemies? ;)

But on topic, I'd like to point out that after Witcher 3 the bar has been raised drastically for all future RPG games. Can they make quests as engaging as those in Witcher or will we get another bunch of fetch quests and standard "fast travel- kill someone - fast travel - receive reward" bullshit? Because as much as I love Fallout, I don't think I can put up with that anymore. I want something... more interesting. I noticed that at the end of the trailer the protagonist speaks to his dog. Could this be a clue that this is the end of silent protagonists in Bethesda's games?

Armageddon

I never thought of any of the quests in Fallout 3 as fetch quests or kill 10 rats or whatever. There was always a story and reason behind everything. Remember being the mediator between The Mechanist and The AntAgonizer? Or finding the Republic of Dave and dealing with that situation. Going to that burnt out town occupied by a sniper priest who laid mines everywhere and shot at the cars you hid behind and they exploded. Sneaking into the Super-Duper Mart and getting the drop on the Raiders. So many cool and compelling stories like those in the world. That's mostly why I didn't like NV, it was just boring standard RPG quests, there was only one morally grey choice in the entire game too whereas FO3 had them in every quest. Also not to mention the level design in NV is garbage compared to the mastery of FO3. But whatever I need to play The Witcher 3 I hope it's good but I hate fantasy a lot and couldn't get 15 minutes into the first two games before turning them off and uninstalling.

Grim

Yeah... I used to think the quests were fine in Fallout.

Then I played Witcher 3.

Never before felt like I really wanted to talk to everyone about everything, because it is just such pleasure to listen them talk, with all the twists and turns and amazing personalities. I don't really remember much of scripted stuff from Fallout 3 but what stands out in my memories is those moments I crafted myself through the freedom any Fallout/Elders Scrolls game gives to the player, and that is undeniably its greatest quality. Basically, just doing all sorts of stupid shit and watching the world react to it (like the time I'd slaughtered all population of Megaton by hand just to see what their sheriff was hiding in his pockets...);)

PS. It wasn't worth it.   

Retro Wolf

Pre-ordered it for PS4!

I'm also getting The Witcher 3 for Father's day, I hear nothing but good things.

You guys like to play as good or evil? I always like to be the asshole when games let me.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Retro Wolf on Tue 09/06/2015 18:39:46
You guys like to play as good or evil? I always like to be the asshole when games let me.
There were times when I played only as very good and nice person, but then I got a) bored b) annoyed that people rarely actually provided much help :)
Also some of the gameplay mechanics in Bethesda games (in particular) were making me mad, so I started to roleplay a psychopatic vagrant, who can talk nicely to people around and then start rampage all of a sudden. :tongue: I played both Skyrim and Fallout 3 NV this way.

ManicMatt

Yeah, I love being a dick in games. In Deus Ex 1 everytime I came across an NPC, it was time to throw a piece of furniture at them to provoke a response, teehee!! Deus Ex Human Revolution didn't let me do this. I was sad about that.

Gothic 4 had a quest where an NPC asks you to fetch some mushrooms. The protagonist moaned about doing such a menial task - but then had me go and do it anyway, if I recall right.

Atelier

Iron sights in Fallout NV is such a little touch that makes the gameplay so much more immersive than Fallout 3.

Mouth for war

Allright people we're getting close now to release. I am really excited about this game. I think it will be bethesda's finest so far. A lot of people have said "it looks terrible" etc. I don't agree even if it might not be the best looking game ever. Anyone else getting this on day 1? :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Gurok

I don't care if it looks "terrible". The graphics look fine to me. In fact, I'm kind of hoping it scales down more than the minimum requirements suggest. My current machine is a Core 2 Duo E6600 (Conroe) with 8GB of RAM and a GeForce 560 Ti. So I'm going to be crying and/or fiddling with .ini files until it works.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Mouth for war

I could easily run it on my rig but i prefer console when i play games so i'm getting it for xbox1. Damn i can't wait!!!! :-D

Gurok

Me too! The more we post about it, the sooner it will be released! At least, that's how I hope it works :D

Also, I'm picking this up on day 1 (preloaded).

Hey, did anyone else actually prefer VATS when it was untimed? Main reason why I played Fallout 3 (coming from Fallout 1 & 2) was that even though it was shooty (and I can't play shooters for beans), it had VATS, so I could just go into VATS mode most of the time and play it strategically. Now it feels like I'm going to be forced to think quick. I don't like thinking quick!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

kconan

I've got Fallout 4 preloaded and I'm pumped!  Fallout 2 was my favorite by a mile, but I've enjoyed the new breed (FO3 and FO:NV) as well.

On VATS...I kinds of like it to be timed, as it feels weird to have unlimited time in the midst of a gunfight to decide which body part to shoot.

Stromvin

Well i seem to be one of the few here that didnt like the Trailer. For several reasons, but especially because i dont see where this BladRunner like Story they seem to have going on there makes sense for or in the fallout universe. Then it Looks too much like a cutscene fest, which is a Problem because in my opinion Bethesda just cant make good main Story arcs. Fallout 1 and 2 were great, and kinda made sense. Fallout 3 was fun... until i finished it. Worst and most stupid ending next to Alien Isolation. Fallout NV i never finished, because!!! i couldnt decide whom to trust and whom to help, after 50+ hours. In F3 there were no descisions whatsoever that i can remember.
Morrowind, i liked a lot, but the main quest was pure torture. Oblivion was a physics and graphics wise improved joke in comparison, and i quitted skyrim after 12 hours due to boredom.
Maybe ist just me, but im kinda tired of Bethesdas quest etc. design. And from the Trailer it Looks like an Action shooter with cutscenes. So lets just hope im wrong ;)
Greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Mouth for war

I actually get bored faster in the elder scrolls games even though I enjoy them alot too. Fallout 3 and NV never bored me when I played them the first time. The worst kind is those damn fetch quests...It's so uninspiring and lazy. A few of them is ok but not when they're all "Oh boohoo I lost my ring somewhere,please find it" BAH!!! :D

Anian

I rather recently bought Arkham knight, so I'm not going to buy this game at launch, but as all Bethesda titles, the game looks awesome. Plus it's good to give modders and Beth some time (a month or so) to patch things up.

Quote from: Gurok on Sat 07/11/2015 15:48:11
Hey, did anyone else actually prefer VATS when it was untimed? Main reason why I played Fallout 3 (coming from Fallout 1 & 2) was that even though it was shooty (and I can't play shooters for beans), it had VATS, so I could just go into VATS mode most of the time and play it strategically. Now it feels like I'm going to be forced to think quick. I don't like thinking quick!
Well this might work really good also, besides it's still slow movement so it probably won't be a shock...in Todd we trust.

I always preferred VATS in F3 and Vegas, because IMO it actually connected to the weapon aim precision - when you play other FPS-s if you aim a gun correctly, you'll hit your target, while in Fallout you may aim like a pro but you are still "fighting" the numbers in the game mechanics and suddenly it seems unfair. Most of my fights in Fallout games, end up using up VATS, then frantically shooting in panic because I know that even if I aim straight at enemy at a 5m distance, I still might not actually hit it.

This all also somewhat connects to my preference of the 3rd person camera, the bloody radar always indicates enemies, so I'm nervous if I don't actually see them.

I don't want the world, I just want your half

Jack

Waiting in anticipation. While I couldn't really get into 1 & 2 at all, I loved both Fallout 3 and NV, replayed them both multiple times. The addition of a survival mode in NV alone makes a replay well worth it, and I do hope that the survival mode in this one exists and has been fleshed out even further. The town building in F4 will also keep me coming back, I suspect.

The writing on these games for me has been second to none, supplying a fully fleshed-out universe of characters with their own stories.

Having said that I would have preferred that this one be set 10 years or so after the events of new vegas, so that we're not in essentially the same environment again. I'm also bummed that there are no vehicles this time either (VTOL pick-up doesn't count). The graphics on the new fallouts have never been bleeding edge, but having seen the trailer I was glad to notice that the poly counts have increased along with the texture res. The environment is still too bland and arid, but I'll fix that with a mod.

Fallout 4 - FULL E3 2015 GAMEPLAY PRESENTATION

or just skip to 26:22 if you want to see the trailer they should have released.

"It's good to be back."

Mouth for war

With all mods that will flood (now for console as well :-D) i am sure there will be vehicles eventually :-)

Gribbler

Already ordered! I intend to plat this game. 8-)

Mouth for war

I am preloading now as i write...ahhh tomorrow at midnight....drooling :-D

Grim

I've got it pre-ordered. Secretly hoping it will arrive tomorrow... (Metal Gear Solid 5 came a day before release!)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk