MAGS June: Television (RESULTS)

Started by Stupot, Fri 05/06/2015 01:22:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Okay, voting is now CLOSED and the results are as follows:

In third place... Fanbots with 3 votes.
In second place... Wrong Channel with 6 votes.
In first place... Feng Shui and the Art of TV Reception with 7 votes.

Well done to Mandle. Nice job, mate. FSATAOTVR was a fun and clever game indeed.

Wrong Channel
by Xil
Feng Shui and the Art of TV Reception
by Mandle
Fanbots
by LostTrainDude,
Kastchey and CaptainD

----------------------------------------------------------------

Atelier sends his regards.

Topic: 'Television'

This month's guidelines were set by Stupot and Eggie:

Ends: July 3rd

If the revolution will be televised, then television will be revolutionized. And you, AGSers, are the revolting ones.

The theme for this month is 'Television'. How you interpret that is up to you. Maybe your protagonist is an actual TV set. Maybe you choose to provide a satirical critique of the televisual arts. Or maybe your gameplay is inspired by your favourite show: Interactive TV shows; sitcom adventure game with it's own laugh track; 60s Batman with Telltale style moral choices; 24 with interaction in every split screen; Too Many Cooks: The Survival Horror... The possibilities are endless.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link

âÅ"“ The title of your game

âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

JudasFm

Okay, I've got my concept down but I have a quick question: are MIDI files of pop songs allowed as background music?

Armageddon

I can't wait for some Cronenberg-esque games.

Crimson Wizard

I apologize for off-topic, I wanted to ask about MAGS website I knew: http://www.mags-competition.info/?page=history
It was last updated in mid 2014. Is there a new site, or it was abandoned completely?

Mandle

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 05/06/2015 01:22:48
And you, AGSers, are the revolting ones.

Hey! I resemble that remark!!!

However...

I'm in!

My entry is not going to be so much about what happens in the TV shows as trying to get the TV reception just right.

All those little superstitions we had back in the day about how to get the TV reception right might turn out to be actually true! (But taken to the nth degree... (laugh) )

The concept is admittedly inspired by an episode of Mr. Bean, but the game should have enough twists and surprises along the way to become its own unique entity...

Now, to get to work!

(I have actually been thinking on a game based on M*A*S*H for some time, like a lost episode of the series but in adventure game form...But waaaaaaaaaay too much work for a MAGS....Maybe in a few years...)

JudasFm

Quote from: Mandle on Fri 05/06/2015 13:20:51
(I have actually been thinking on a game based on M*A*S*H for some time, like a lost episode of the series but in adventure game form...But waaaaaaaaaay too much work for a MAGS....Maybe in a few years...)
Okay, that's a game I'd definitely play! Even if I'm now going to spend the rest of the evening with that opening song stuck in my head... ;)

Mandle

Quote from: JudasFm on Fri 05/06/2015 14:18:46
Quote from: Mandle on Fri 05/06/2015 13:20:51
Okay, that's a game I'd definitely play! Even if I'm now going to spend the rest of the evening with that opening song stuck in my head... ;)

What follows it too off-topic to post but too awesome to not post, so I hid it where the mods could never find it:

Spoiler
Yeah....the game would have to reproduce the opening credits sequence in a cutscene and animation-wise this would be incredible in itself with the medics running up to the heli-pad and all...Also I'm guessing that purchasing the rights to use "Suicide is painless" might cost quite a bit so the game might have to be freeware...

But...I can't get the image of Hawkeye and MacIntire done as low-res sprites, and "The Swamp" as a 320x240 background out of my head for some reason, with "The Still" on the left and Weasel-Face's bed on the right...

Henry, kicking back at his desk with his fly-fishing lure hat on also and Radar with his teddy-bear and...well...radar....offer so many possibilities for an adventure game...

Klinger having to assemble a specific outfit to fool some idiot general (In very particular lighting I'd imagine)...There is just too much to work with!

I won't even get started on 5 O'Clock Charlie...Or how to sneak Radar into the "Officer's Club" to drink his Grape Knee-highs...

(Yeah, I would for sure choose the early seasons over the later ones....Maybe with a cameo from Charles Emerson Winchester (the Third) because he was just sooooo awesome...)

And if anyone thought I had overlooked Hot-Lips Houlihan... There would be a shower-scene for sure!!! With the lads trying to fool her into thinking the camera flashes were just the normal distant shelling going off, to blackmail her into going against Frank Burns' usually insane descisions...

OMG...What a game it could be!!!
[close]

Eggie

Can't wait to see what everyone does! Should be ace!

Mandle

I have the one and only background done for my game and have it up and running in AGS: Testing some lighting effects at the moment as the room will go through several lighting changes.

Oh, and I even have a game title:

"Feng Shui And The Art Of TV Reception"

Stupot

Quote from: JudasFm on Fri 05/06/2015 08:11:20
are MIDI files of pop songs allowed as background music?
The rules say you can use music that is freely available to the public. I assume that goes for MIDI versions, too.  It's doubtful that most pop songs fall into that category. Is there a specific reason you need to use a particular song?

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 05/06/2015 12:38:44
I wanted to ask about MAGS website [that] was last updated in 2014.
i think it's been neglected recently. If someone can give me the login details and appropriate instructions, I'd happily have a go at bringing it up-to-date.

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 07/06/2015 01:39:16
"Feng Shui And The Art Of TV Reception"
Sounds fun, mate.

Mandle

Well...I got a lot of work done today:

I managed to make a unique, confusing, and broken, user-interface...

I have a puzzle half-way done but the second half is probably broken due to above said interface...

On the upside: The mood of the game is exactly as I had wished so far, and also if I can fix the damn interface then puzzles can just come pouring out of my....erm....imagination...

So yeah....anyone else entering this MAGs???

LostTrainDude

I might have something... Not sure, but I might...
You know what? I'll do what I did for the December MAGS and post something here, quoting myself, "just to convince myself I'll make it in time" (laugh)
Last time it worked!

"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Mokho

I've got also an idea I'm working on it... All I can say is that I'll do my best to try to finish it in time!

Mandle

Got some work done today after a very confusing time messing around with plugins, which AprilSkies helped me out with being the huge-hearted dude that he is...

I still have a lot of issues with the game though...The main one being at the moment that I can play it fine in run-time in AGS but the compiled version crashes, which is really messing with my head...

Probably some issues with the plugins that I don't fully understand enough about yet...

Any advice appreciated...Or just call me a NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOB!!!

Mandle

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

It's just so easy to waste 4-5 hours of valuable time trying to sort out a single issue and not get f*cking ANYWHERE!!!

Oh....The issue I'm talking about is not the same one as in the above post: I figured that one out after a few well-spent hours...

All I'm trying to do at the moment is crop a video down to a smaller size, but it seems the Japanese OS version of MovieMaker won't let me import the video because it breaks some copyright laws or some such bullshit...

AnasAbdin

UHHGG! If this was before I made Dexter Morning Routine I would have participated! :~(

Cassiebsg

Mandle, try VirtualDub to edit the video. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Thanks for the advice Cassie...I will remember that for the future...

I found a workaround for my problems and actually managed to get a playable version finished today...

Gotta love it in a MAGs when you have start to finish done and only have to add as much middle content as possible before the deadline, and can add as much afterwards as you like to polish it up...

Mandle

Got some work done today on the ending that is not quite polished but I'm pretty happy with it...

Now to concentrate more on the actual gameplay...

Stupot

Quote from: Stupot+ on Sun 07/06/2015 03:09:13
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 05/06/2015 12:38:44
I wanted to ask about MAGS website [that] was last updated in 2014.
i think it's been neglected recently. If someone can give me the login details and appropriate instructions, I'd happily have a go at bringing it up-to-date.
I was given the keys to the kingdom and have brought the contest guidelines and game entries bang up-to-date (http://www.mags-competition.info/?page=history)

@Mandle - I'm sure it ends very well :-)

Is anyone else in?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk