Art Style Suggestion

Started by Priabudiman, Wed 10/06/2015 10:31:39

Previous topic - Next topic

Priabudiman

Hello all!

Im having this block about finishing an artwork for a title im working on. So ill be needing your help,comment,opinion,suggestions about how should i finish and why its better.

This is the sketch ive been doing for a title, and please help me to decide, should i go Pixel Art ? or should i go Cartoony with this one ?

Quick Pixel Draw

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!
Priabudiman

Darth Mandarb

Love the sketches.

I think it depends on the resolution you're working with (for the project) and how animated you plan to make the characters. 

If you're going lower res (more retro) I'd definitely suggest a pixel character approach (which looks great on the quick example already) as they are easier to animate at smaller resolutions.

Higher res then I'd suggest a more cartoony approach (something like Anime Studio/Toonboom) as the larger characters would be a LOT more work w/ pixel art.

Eric

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Wed 10/06/2015 18:05:04
Higher res then I'd suggest a more cartoony approach (something like Anime Studio/Toonboom) as the larger characters would be a LOT more work w/ pixel art.

I too love these. Some sharp character designs and silhouettes here. I'd encourage you to at least give DM's suggestion a try -- your figures lend themselves well to bone-rigging style animation, and I think your talent justifies a higher res game.

Priabudiman

Thank you so much DM, Eric..

Yeah, i have to agree on that too.. it seems for me that the Higher res would be more simple to animate. I've tried to animate the pixel one without success.. i got jagged edges and distortions everywhere.. it looks like that i have to redraw everything for each frame. (is it the only way to animate pixel arts? :-X)

I decide to simplify the character more, for easy animation and go with the loose cartoon style. Below if the rough sketch of the scene and a lazy animation for the main character.

hopefully this will be enough for a beginner's short game?

selmiak

Pixelart could work, but at a smaller resolution
[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/QxNeHY6.png[/imgzoom]

I love your lineart, converting it to small pixels is funny, I hope I caught some of your lines right. In this size it is easier to animate every frame.

Also what you did while I pixeled, aka your new post is pretty cool!

Blondbraid

I really like the style of the characters and would
love to see a game with the characters in the top sketch,
they seem to have a charming British witticism about them.

Mandle

Sorry for lack of artistic feedback...I just wanted to say:

I FREAKIN' WANNA PLAY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW!!!

Priabudiman

Selmiak : Its a very good line art based on my blurry sketch! yes, it makes me want to keep trying to be better on pixel line arts! thank you for the input!

Blondbraid : Thank you so much, I'm glad that you like it, I'm planning to (maybe) develop a shorts later after I finished this one, or I'm going to open source the sketch for other devs that might want to develop the title and idea!

Mandle : LOL.. you're on my alpha / beta tester short list!

Update on the scene and added another silly character.

LupaShiva

Awesome work

Love the general style of the background combined with the characters, good job :cheesy:

Priabudiman

Thank you LupaShiva! I'm currently looking for game writer for this. Hopefully the game will be underway soon.. (laugh)

LupaShiva

I would love to help but already working on 2 games :cry: but its looking amazing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk