Case Noir

Started by Two Tales, Fri 12/06/2015 15:02:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Tales

Follow Jack Noir and McCloud as you guide Jack through his first case as a homicide detective.
The decisions you make throughout the case will affect the overall outcome and you will be rated on the choices you made.
Featuring three possible endings.
Can you discover the true killer and close the case?

Here's the database entry:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1929/

Advisory: Contains strong language and adult themes.

NickyNyce

Congrats on the release. Looks like fun, I'll be down loading it later.

Shadow1000

Great game so far.

Questions:

Is there a way to speed up the walk cycle? it looks nice but it's a bit slow for actual gameplay
I saved my game a few times but when I start the game, I click "Load" and it does not have my saved games in the list. Once the game starts there must be a way to load a saved game? I tried saving again and my previous saves are in there so it seems like something's wrong with the loading.

SHADOW

Two Tales

Thanks for the heads up shadow there does seem to be an issue with loading saved games. I'll look in to that right away and post when its fixed.
Sorry, no way to adjust walk speed in game though.

Edit: Ok, It's a bit crude but you should be able to restore saved games from the title screen now. I've updated the download link.
      I knew I should of got some game testers on it first! :smiley:

NickyNyce

Perhaps you could adjust the walk speed yourself if you fix the save issue on the next version?

Shadow1000

I just finished the game with a 10/10.

Overall: GOOD game.

It could do with some polish like correcting spelling errors and the ability to speed things up. I found the slow walking and animation to be annoying at times. I found a glitch:

Spoiler
when you get back to the police station for the interrogation, if you go back to the car instead of the station, you end up at the murder scene again
[close]

Things like this should have been caught during proper testing.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the graphics and puzzles, although the puzzles weren't exactly the traditional type.

I am wondering where the graphics are from?

SHADOW

BarbWire

This looks a good one and I have just downloaded it.

Hopefully, I will get around to playing tomorrow.

As with all games I play I will comment, and rate, on
completion.

Best Wishes

Two Tales

Shadow:
Congrats on the 10/10. It would be interesting to know what other people scored/rated.
I considered the walk speed but am personally happy with how it is and was reluctant to speed it up although putting in a speed adjuster option will definitely be a future consideration.
I tried to do something that steered away from just traditional puzzles and added a little variety.
In future I will definitely make sure there is more thorough game testing!
Some of the backgrounds were made by drawing a template on MSPaint and then using textures and clipart found on the net and pasting and blending using Photoshop and then back to MSPaint for pixel by pixel editing. I also used a photo editing app on my phone.
I can't possibly recall where all resources came from as some of it was done six months ago. Some objects where taken from RMXP tilesets (for example, most of South street's buildings and objects).
Thank you for taking the time to play it.

alphadalekben

Wait, aren't a couple of those backgrounds recolours of backgrounds from the DS version on Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney?

Two Tales

Yes, the crime scene background was edited from an Ace Attorney background I found on spritersresource.com

alphadalekben

Isn't the one on the bottom right one as well?

Two Tales

Quote from: alphadalekben on Sun 14/06/2015 19:17:46
Isn't the one on the bottom right one as well?

Nope. That's one I did using mostly an RMXP tileset.

alphadalekben

Middle right I meant.

Hope this doesn't sound like a criticism though.

Two Tales

Quote from: alphadalekben on Sun 14/06/2015 19:37:47
Middle right I meant.

Hope this doesn't sound like a criticism though.

Nah, it's fine. I'm happy to answer any questions/queries.
To be honest I can't remember where the template for that background came from. You could possibly be right. I just remember heavily editing it and adding all the additional objects.

faerieevenstar

I've just downloaded this to play, and not even opened it yet, but I have a minor criticism (sorry) The site it directed me to to download from was horrible (mediafire I think?) and brought up horrible pop ups insisting I had to call a toll free number about viruses infecting my computer (OHNOES!). I have ad blockers and all sorts, so no idea how it got through built it was most irksome as I couldn't even close the window, as I was determined not to click on it's ridiculous lying box telling me to phone for virus assistance... so I had to go to bloody control panel and end the process (which was just annoying as I had other stuff going I was doing at the same time, but I will live) I now feel dirty and will run a full virus scan my computer now  as I'm sure it was trying to do nasty evil things to me and my beautiful computer-child *shudders* It's the equivalent of needing a shower after going somewhere you're sure is crawling with disease...

I know Mediafire is a popular place to use, and it makes life easier, but it's so shady, and makes me scared to download things when it does dodgy things like that. :(

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: faerieevenstar on Tue 30/06/2015 15:54:36
I know Mediafire is a popular place to use, and it makes life easier, but it's so shady, and makes me scared to download things when it does dodgy things like that. :(

Um... I use Mediafire to upload new WIP builds of AGS all time :tongue:
Never heard anyone complained.

Two Tales

It's a shame to hear you have had a bad experience with Mediafire. I too have used it on many occasions with no such problems. Just to be safe I followed the download link, re-downloaded the game file from Mediafire and scanned it. I have not detected any issues.

sthomannch

I liked this game a lot, nicely done and the retro style fits perfectly.

About Mediafire: I occasionally also get these or other dubious pop-ups. It is scareware, just ignore it and never follow these links.  Too bad, but somehow these "free" services have to get money for the service they offer.

faerieevenstar

I did a full scan and was fine. I've not had it happen on Mediafire before either, it just really spooked me! Sorry I vented at you, but I was annoyed after being stuck in a loop of trying to close the bastard thing. Not your fault really :*

Stee

Never had any issues with Mediafire before. Might want to check you haven't caught something else elsewhere

On to the game, really enjoyed it. Nice to have an engaging short game to pick up and play every once in a while instead of marathon adventures!

Hope to see more stuff from you and hopefully some original artwork, although I understand the struggle to get that out there when you are not an artist!
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk