[SOLVED] Customize winsetup

Started by rmonic79, Fri 12/06/2015 17:21:57

Previous topic - Next topic

rmonic79

hi guys, another question,is it possible to customize the options of winsetup.exe? We want less options for our game.
thanks.

Snarky

No, it's not possible. You would have to write your own application to read/write to the cfg file, but I'm guessing that's beyond your technical capability.

rmonic79

we have time until the final release. Any suggestion about what we need and know to try to do it?

monkey0506

The CFG is a plain-text INI-formatted file. Just simply create a Windows application in C#, Java, etc. and utilize an existing INI library to read/write the keys/values. It's actually very simple to do. You could even create such a thing in AGS using RickJ's INI module, but that would be rather silly and frustrating as the setup "game" would share the config file with the actual game.

A typical CFG file looks something like this:

Code: ini
[sound]
digiid=-1
midiid=-1
digiwin=1096302880
midiwin=-1
digiindx=0
midiindx=0
digiwinindx=0
midiwinindx=0
threaded=1
[misc]
gamecolordepth=32
screenres=1
defaultgfxdriver=D3D9
gfxdriver=D3D9
titletext=Project Setup
windowed=0
antialias=1
refresh=0
gfxfilter=None
game_width=1024
game_height=768
[language]
translation=English
[graphics]
driver=D3D9

Most things are pretty much self-explanatory. You can toy around with the winsetup if you're not sure what something does or if it seems to not be working. You can also reference the source code (but, of course, that's written in C++...). At some point, someone should probably create a wiki entry for all of the config options. Shouldn't take long to document.... hmmm... (roll)

rmonic79

Monsieur OUXX

I just had an idea of a Setup AGS "game" that would open with the exact same graphical parameters as the game itself (necessarily, since they share the same config file). That would feel like these old setup.exe files from MS-DOS times, like the one of the original Command&Conquer, that was in 320x200 (if you've never seen it, search it in youtube, it's deadly!). To make it even cooler, there could be a short intro sequence to the Setup "game" where it starts with a white command prompt on a blackscreen, and a short cutscene shows the command "setup.exe" being awkwardly typed in. :D

selmiak

^^^^ this is great

it also makes me wonder if people in 10 years from now, when there are no more loading times whatsoever will artificially slow down systems to show one of these retro circle loading gif...

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 19/06/2015 15:47:50
it also makes me wonder if people in 10 years from now, when there are no more loading times whatsoever will artificially slow down systems to show one of these retro circle loading gif...

That has already been done when Windows95 replaced DOS. Computers started being so fast that there was an utility called "MosLo" to slow down games and stuff.
(quick google search: this software still exists for Windows 7!!! I have no idea why someone would need something like that on Win 7)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk