Board game squares

Started by Slasher, Wed 17/06/2015 18:22:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Should i leave this Board games squares as they are or should i add colour / picture / place?
The squares are all places in Middle-earth....

ideas / opinions welcomed...

Frikker

personally , I think it looks unfinished with all the squares pure white. Colours would be better but It may just be the fact that they are both white and empty that makes them look unfinished and if you add places or pictures it may not need colour too, or maybe just a colour that is low in saturation.... like beige! , the pure white with everything else around detailed and colourful just looks a bit odd so def add something in my opinion.
But If you end up leaving them blank I would personally say atleast add colours of some sort.
Matt

Ykni

I agree, leaving them white is too much contrast. Perhaps you could make them slightly transparent. Putting very detailed images on the tiles might look a bit cluttered.

Slasher

I somewhat agree,

added some colour with transparency. Also more of the board in-game:

Grok

Quote from: slasher on Thu 18/06/2015 05:33:07
added some colour with transparency. Also more of the board in-game:

Overall it looks quite nice.
It is however a bit difficult to see what is background and what are game elements. My first impression was that the wizard was standing in the hills (didn't see the houses as houses at first). The brown cylinder (cup for dices?)could be seen as a tower on the distant hill (though it should have been out of focus in that case). The hand sort of blend into the background. Is the dragonfly a part of the background? You might want to find a way to make it more clear what is not part of the background.

Slasher

Hi,

Cheers guys...

Grok
QuoteIt is however a bit difficult to see what is background and what are game elements.
The main image is the background (BOARD). Game elements are: fairy and dragon cards (maybe add shadow for depth?), dragonfly, tumbler, wizard and hobbit and of course mouse hand.

All can be moved to position. the dragonfly is animating around the wizard...there are also other elements not yet placed.

Also the only mouse interaction is 'Hand' used when shaking tumbler, picking fairy / dragon cards, dialog option choices and top buttons...

Updated with place names.

Comments welcome for improvements with image and above...

Cassiebsg

Don't think the square frames should be transparent. And now with names on, seems kind of cluttered.
I think you should leave them nameless, or add a "mouse over" with the name instead. Alternative, you could picture the locations in each square. Though, am not sure if it would not become too much visual info. :-\
Try fading the BG a bit, so the game elements "pop out" of the picture.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Hi,

QuoteI think you should leave them nameless, or add a "mouse over" with the name instead.
Due to the way the game is constructed having square mouse-overs is not really a viable option.

i have enhanced the objects so they stick out more...

Names: well, an alternative way was to add names, as in real board games... due to the squares size there is little else i could do but i'm happy about what i have.

what i do need is an up and down walk cycle for the hobbit. I have left and right... any takers?

Grok

One way to make the game objects clearly separated from the background is to give them a little bit of frame behind them. 

A rough example to show what I'm talking about.

There are many different ways to do something like that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk