Help choosing graphics for leisure suit larry game type

Started by LupaShiva, Thu 18/06/2015 15:02:11

Previous topic - Next topic

LupaShiva

Ok here is just a little update, its from 3 different forums, but im up for more opinions and votes, thank you.

host images

Cassiebsg

Quote from: LupaShiva on Mon 22/06/2015 22:04:28
Quote from: Mouth for war on Mon 22/06/2015 13:06:43
With those nice backgrounds I'd really wish you'd go for third person ;D

Your not the first one saying me that, and i thinking about it :wink:

I'd like to add my support to third person, if that makes you think even harder. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

LupaShiva

CatPunter

Hey there! I'm trying not to be a jerk about this (and I do legitimately love the way you draw backgrounds/lineart), but Leisure Suit Larry has a special place in my heart and I wanted to say something about this simply because it's so dear to me.

I think your work is great, and you definitely have your own style. I'm not sure forcing the women of your game project into those proportions are going to make players want to play through like the Leisure Suit series did if that's your goal though. The main point in Leisure Suit Larry was that the girls were always for the player - Everything they did oozed personality, where ditzy girls suddenly become so ditzy you could almost literally see the gears grind to a complete stop. The girls were legitimately excited, bitchy, domineering or clueless and you got to see that through text and a few still images or limited animations. I feel like your posing and choice of girl archetypes don't really get that across. Your first woman is a really good idea, and I really like her outfit with her breasts sort of bursting forth while she's so in charge she can't give a shit who sees it, but you seem to want to hide her in a 3/4 pose. I don't think this is a woman you should make small and demure with how her breasts are. Play it up! Make it so she's taunting the player that she knows it's all on display and she doesn't care! I feel the second woman also suffers the same problems. What is she feeling? What sort of girl is she? Should I be titillated because she's naked and doing sexy eyes, or because she's a sexy woman who just happens to be naked at an opportune moment?

Obviously these are done in my own style, and I hope you don't change what you want to do with this because of one comment on the forum, but I would love to see you push your poses and girls further. Put some real love and joy into it and that will be sexier than any girl with her tits out posing. I think your project has some real potential to be memorable like Leisure Suit judging by your skills and those backgrounds.

Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

LupaShiva

Thank you for the opinion, and awesome skills :-) maybe i didnt explained myself well, when i mean leisure suit Larry i doesnt mean a rip off, im just talking about the theme, the game beign resolved around the girls, and about the pose, its because im thinking in doing the conversation zoomed and face to face, the char on the left side and the girl on the right of the screen, and btw these are not final imagens, ill problably give em a little touch, and one last thing, the girl on the graph has nothing to do with the game, did it just for fun like the old woman, but thank you for the opinion :-)

Myinah

CatPunter I fully agree with your analysis. I think the girls could be drawn with a little more personality. Girls drawn sexily can still be more than just set dressing for a risqué game. I also think maybe you could reconsider the lips LupaShiva. Most women don't have over puffed fish lips. Unless all your women have the same collagen injections maybe vary them in size. You seem to favour a prominent upper lip which is fine but if you put it on all the models they will begin to look generic. It seems I could swap the hair and skin tone of the blonde and brunette and they would basically look the same without any other changes, although different outfits and glasses aside. Maybe your other female characters will look different as I know the blonde was just a random drawing, but just thought I would flag it in case you weren't aware you were doing it. I'm guilty of drawing my characters eyes the same too often.

CatPunter

Quote from: LupaShiva on Sun 28/06/2015 12:47:52
Thank you for the opinion, and awesome skills :-) maybe i didnt explained myself well, when i mean leisure suit Larry i doesnt mean a rip off, im just talking about the theme, the game beign resolved around the girls, and about the pose, its because im thinking in doing the conversation zoomed and face to face, the char on the left side and the girl on the right of the screen, and btw these are not final imagens, ill problably give em a little touch, and one last thing, the girl on the graph has nothing to do with the game, did it just for fun like the old woman, but thank you for the opinion :-)

Hmmm, even with this being for conversation I still think you could do more with it. Maybe have her touching her glasses in that really high class business woman way, or straighten her pose so she looks like she's looking down on the player. You could have a lot of fun with this, though ultimately it's how the girls all look together/against each other that's the most important part.
Art Director and Lead Artist for "Kate and Shelly Stick Together"

Jack

Great art Lupa, makes me want to play the game. Looking forward to it.

I prefer your rendering of the first woman over CatPunter's. The second rendering makes me feel like her clipboard is full of signatures to ban men from looking at breasts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk