Audio skips during room change

Started by SilverSpook, Mon 22/06/2015 10:17:43

Previous topic - Next topic

SilverSpook

Having a weird problem here where I have a room change and the audio suddenly skips.  The music rewinds about half a second so it sounds like it's stuttering.

Just a note: I'm using "SetNextScreenTransition(eTransitionInstant)", if that makes a difference.

Crimson Wizard

This was always in AGS... this is because audio playing on same program thread as the rest of the game, it stutters when data is loaded.

Since 3.3.0 there is an option to play it on separate thread, but its very raw, "unofficial" feature.
It only works safe on Windows, but often crashes on Linux systems (I was planning to address this problem for a while now).
Also, there is no synchronization mechanism yet, so it does not work well with Voice speech lip sync (Pamela / Papagayo) and when you need particular notes hit at particular events in game precisely.

To enable this option add following line into acsetup.cfg:
Code: text

[sound]
threaded=1

SilverSpook

Huh, thanks Crimson Wizard.

So if I'm having problems with the music skipping and I might eventually put this game on mobile devices, would you recommend I just have different music in different rooms?

Crimson Wizard

I do not know what to recommend.

I can only mention that you may change this "threaded" option when distributing for other platforms.

KentuckyFries

Hello Ags-Users/-Admins etc.,

I was searching in this forum for the right answer but there were too many threads, so I just made this account in hope you can help me fix my problem.

Here is my problem:
When I play the game in AGS it works fluently but when i compile it to .exe , the music gets stuck for less then a secound while changing a room with the same background music.

How can I fix it?

Snarky

There were too many threads, so you thought you'd start one more? No, I'll just merge this with the last time we had this question, all of two weeks ago.

selmiak

There are too many helpful replies, so I'll just post a  :-D

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 07/07/2015 19:28:04
There are too many helpful replies, so I'll just post a  :-D
WTF is this for??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk