The Knobbly Crook: Full Game (FINISHED)

Started by Bavolis, Fri 26/06/2015 03:06:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Bavolis

Bavolis

Here's the new room in progress. It should be the last large, vertical room in Chapter 2. I wanted to give the whole island the feeling of tall peaks and mysterious depths, so expect some grappling hook action in there somewhere, too. I've started filling in details at the very bottom and I have a long climb ahead on this one! :)

Bavolis

And er... a month later. Here's the final version!

Cassiebsg

Your art is just surrealistically beautiful!!! 8-0
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Just to let you know, from a background painter to a background artist: I appreciate every little single detail in your work and I feel the effort and love you give.
Thanks for sharing an incomplete background like this. It just gave deeper perspective how long it takes to complete.

Mandle

What AnasAbdin just said, as well as:

I'm amazed by the consistancy of your artistic vision. Considering the amount of detail you are putting into every single scene I would get so bored and screw the game up by throwing in new styles at every turn which would confuse and annoy the player who is experiencing the game over 1/100000th the timescale that the game took to make, or more...

I want to use a better adjective than: Amazing....but...

Bavolis

Thanks everyone, it means a lot coming from the community that has kept the genre going. The truth is I wasn't originally sure I could handle a point and click because I wasn't an environmental artist. I mostly only worked on characters and cheated the backgrounds. This is the first time I've really had to get in there and put in the full detail and that's why I'm so slow at it (learning as I go!). I find the best way to keep me moving is to put some bad horror movies on Netflix (the worse, the better) so I can half-pay attention on both things. Once I get the perfect unity of click-drawing thousands of rocks and sideways watching really bad actors say really bad lines, progress is made! Thanks again, I really do appreciate your feedback :)

Cassiebsg

Who would have guessed that bad horror movies would ever provide such a good muse? (laugh)(laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Blondbraid

I must say that your backgrounds are very beautiful and imaginative, but they also fit seamlessly with the characters and everything really looks like they are the same style and part of the same world. It really bugs me when games and animated movies have inconsistent design, like exaggerated cartoon characters against realistic backgrounds or half the characters are caricatures while the other half looks like uncanny valley. These screenshots however, are some rally great work, an that ort of detail you could stare at for hours on end! 8-)

Bavolis

I totally agree with you there - a good style match is key to creating an immersive world, unless the contrast is part of the style itself (Toonstruck?). Thanks! :)

SilverSpook

That's reeeeeal tasty! 

Man a month!  I thought I spent a while on my backgrounds when they were taking a week.  That's hardcore, man.

Rocchinator

Wow a month. I got to tell you awesome and unique talent here.   

cheatcakes

I just discovered Knobbly Crook and played through Chapter I - after seeing the in-progress work for II, I can't wait for it to be complete!  Looks amazing!:-D

Cerno

I downloaded part I on Steam yesterday, it'll be the next game I'll play.
It just looks so awesome, and the from what I've seen you created a great world conceptually and visually!

I'm just wondering, all the love towards chapter II and all the positive responses to part one and not a single review/comment on the game page?
123  Currently working on: Sibun - Shadow of the Septemplicon

Bavolis

Thank you, folks!
My guess is Episode I is weird enough that people don't know what to make of it yet. I think once Episode 2 is out, I'll get a lot of people going back to catch up. It does have a lot of reviews on Steam and sits with a "Very Positive" rating, so I can't complain. :)

While I'm here, I should point out that the official blog is finally up at http://www.gnarledscar.com!

Bavolis

A couple of new things! First we've got Tarsus Twotalk's Toxic Shack. Note, his sprite is a placeholder for now.

And a WIP of the Hemochingineer's festival. On the left, you'll find a hemochingineer in his blood-powered strongsuit lifting a blood-fueled transportation device. Behind him, paper balloon-pop! Oooh. Prizes. On the right, the beginnings of an ultra-spooky spirit house, also fueled by blood. In the middle... a total placeholder head! Woo woo! You also get a glimpse of the folded paper wall that protects the Knobbly Crook's fortress against stone bogold invasions.

Mathias

You've got some great stuff going with the artstyle. Keep up the great work!

CaptainD

Your artwork is absolutely incredible.  It actually jumps out of the monitor screen at you!  (Especially the Toxic Shack.)

Bavolis

My general art rule is if it doesn't pop out enough, MOAR SHINY :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk