MAGS July: "Hendrix" (Winner Announced)

Started by Atelier, Wed 01/07/2015 11:16:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurok

The Jimi Hendrix Case

Enter the world of Jimi Hendrix, police detective. In a world where everyone is Jimi Hendrix, only Jimi Hendrix can solve the murder and find out who killed Jimi Hendrix.

Created for MAGS July, 2015.

>> Download here <<

[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Matt Frith

Here is my entry! I kinda feel like the end is way too rushed thanks to mismanaged time this week. Huff! :(
I'll make a Completed Game thread tomorrow. I am currently rather exhausted!

Run in a window because it's a custom resolution (160 x 144)

Atelier

Thanks, Grok, Matt and Gurok!

I'll open voting this afternoon when I'm back home.

Bulbapuck

Really nice entries! Made LPs of them all like last month, I think I'll make this a tradition with MAGS games :)

Playlist is here if you're interested: https://youtu.be/0ESwza_62k8?list=PLEem6SKeUgpUTdSg7d7oRYNsiAD7NyGrD

Atelier

Here we go!

The Jimi Hendrix Case
by Gurok and Catpunter
Leopold Kettle
by Matt Frith
Hendrix Island
by Grok

Voting links:

The Jimi Hendrix Case by Gurok and CatPunter
Leopold Kettle by Matt Frith
Hendrix Island by Grok

http://www.mags-competition.info/index.php?page=voting

Please vote only once and be sure to have played all games before sending your voice! Good luck to all participants.

PS. Voting closes 17th August.

Mandle

AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!! It was so hard to choose a favorite out of these three as I liked all of them pretty much equally.

In the end though one won out slightly ahead and I "officially" voted for that, but in my heart I voted for all three.

Highest overall quality MAGs in ages!!!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Alright, I've voted  :)
Great games!
Loved Leopold Kettle, awesome art and an altogether fun game. Lets get some more GameBoy action in the future, the nostalgia was incredible  :-D
Jimi Hendrix Case was a blast! There is alot of game in there for a mags entry, great job!
Hendrix Island was very cool, cool art style and wacky puzzles.. you released pretty early Grok, would have been great if you used the extra couple weeks to add more interaction responses  :) (might have clinched my vote anyway..)

Mandle

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Sat 08/08/2015 19:07:21
you released pretty early Grok,

Nope...not uncomfortable at all... (wtf)

But seriously, I respect Grok's work style both with his art and this release: It seems he is a "just-get-the-damn-thing-done-and-out-the-door" kinda guy, which is an awesome way to supply content without getting bogged down in the nitty-gritty and having a bunch of almost, but not quite released projects hanging around (like me)...

Plus the quality of the content is amazingly high considering the short work-cycle...

Grok, you could even give Slasher a run for his money I think!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quote from: Mandle on Sun 09/08/2015 00:58:21

But seriously, I respect Grok's work style both with his art and this release: It seems he is a "just-get-the-damn-thing-done-and-out-the-door" kinda guy, which is an awesome way to supply content without getting bogged down in the nitty-gritty and having a bunch of almost, but not quite released projects hanging around (like me)...

Plus the quality of the content is amazingly high considering the short work-cycle...

O K !!
So I'm a big forum jerk! Just trying to be candid.. Trying to express that I enjoyed the game but can't help but wonder how extra cool it would have been with the extra time invested. Very admirable to get it out that quick, devoting all your free time for a full month is pretty overwhelming anyways.

Mandle

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Sun 09/08/2015 03:35:31
Quote from: Mandle on Sun 09/08/2015 00:58:21

O K !!
So I'm a big forum jerk! Just trying to be candid.. Trying to express that I enjoyed the game but can't help but wonder how extra cool it would have been with the extra time invested. Very admirable to get it out that quick, devoting all your free time for a full month is pretty overwhelming anyways.

Oops...I didn't mean to give a potentially negative reaction to your comment at all mate...

Your comments were all valid and I forgot to mention that...

I just meant to reinforce what I think Grok is all about where he just releases his.....

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I see where the misunderstanding is:

REWIND....BRBRBRBBRBRBRBBR:
Quote from: Mandle

The start of my post was actually just a crude sexual joke...I didn't mean it to be taken that you shouldn't have said that...But I did not consider how it would be taken if the "joke" was overlooked and the rest of my post was read...

DAMN YOU CONTEXT!!!

MiteWiseacreLives!

Oh wow! That's totally filthy, LOL!
I think I prefered my first interpretation  (laugh)

Mandle

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Sun 09/08/2015 21:22:16
Oh wow! That's totally filthy, LOL!
I think I prefered my first interpretation  (laugh)

Sorry...It cannot be unseen now...

Cheers mate for the understanding attitude both here and in PM :)

Stupot

Another cracking trio of entries 8-)

I've finally got around to playing all the games ans made my vote. I had to go for Leopold Kettle. Really cute graphics and nice puzzles. Job well done.

cat

Finally I managed to play some MAGS games and vote!

Hendrix Island
I couldn't really get into, it also felt rushed with debug mode still on and missing interactions.
Leopold Kettle is super cute, with nice graphics and best walk-cycle (or roll-cycle?) ever. However, the typing effect got annoying pretty soon.
The Jimi Hendrix Case has great graphics, an interesting concept and nice game play elements.

Kitty Trouble

Here's my opinion on the 3 games

Hendrix Island I really couldn't get interested in.
Spoiler
The key was a pixel hunt, I only realized it existed because of the screenshots of the game and seeing it in the inventory. Also I quit the game early because of the monkey puzzle, typing monkey phrases 5 times and being told I was wrong constantly only to check and see I had 1 letter wrong, and eventually couldn't figure it out. I didn't particularly like how the game was running like a large fetch quest and I gave up at that point.
[close]

The Jimi Hendrix Case I thought was interesting, but not without some small issues.
Spoiler
Mainly the dying in the fight scene and having to start all over again, and the bug with the badge in the fight scene. Still, I liked the concept of this game the most as well as the gameplay.
[close]

Leopold Kettle had a nice visual style. Like the above poster, the long wait for the text was a bit annoying.
Spoiler
I also found the sushi puzzle to be hard, because I thought of what I was supposed to do, tried it several times, and it didn't work, so until I got a hint saying I was right, I started to try other things.
[close]

When does voting usually end on these?

AprilSkies

www.apemarina.altervista.org

selmiak

Atelier

Voting over! Insane amount of votes this month:

The Jimi Hendrix Case by Gurok and CatPunter: 17 votes
Leopold Kettle by Matt Frith: 11 votes
Hendrix Island by Grok: 0 votes

Congrats Gurok and CatPunter!

Gurok

Thank you, everyone! All three games this month were so great. Thank you to everyone who played and voted. Thanks also to Atelier for running the competition so well.

Just having a finished MAGS game is a reward in itself. It's been a long time since I've had something finished like this, and it's renewed my determination to finish other *ahem*, slightly bigger projects. MAGS is such a great competition too. It's been the birth of many great ideas through desperation and frustration.

We might release an update to our entry later this year. Just something to tidy up loose ends and add in all the stuff we left out for lack of time.

Thank you again, everyone!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk