BackGround Blitz 5th April - 19th April

Started by OneThinkingGal and ._., Sat 05/04/2003 05:17:49

Previous topic - Next topic

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Right, since last time we did landmarks, we'll take up the film noir entertainment park this time.

640 x 400, unlimited colours this time.

Whoevers idea this was, or anyone who gets it :P could you please explain the concept a little more clearly, because it seems plently of people dont get what it is...

Hmm...just found this link that might help: http://www.filmsite.org/filmnoir.html

Soft, Gooey, Delicious.

Film Noir AND unlimited colours = 64000 shades of grey?
Kant was a dirty deontologist fuck.
the fade.
Yeeha!
Call me...  now

scotch

It's film noir style doesn't have to be monochrome

earwigz

errr i didnt quite understand EXACTLY what the rules were... but i drew a theme park in a sort of film noir style...

Rincewind

Here's my contribution:

Quite pleased with this one myself.  ;D

earwigz sister

OneThinkingGal and ._.

That was quick. o_O

Nice work guys. ._.

GarageGothic

Oh my, I was actually going to have a film noir style amusement park in the game I'm currently writing. I didn't intend to create any artwork this early, and I've never participated in a BackGround Blitz yet. But there's a first for everything.

I can't wait to get home and get this started. I know exactly where to look for inspiration.

Edit: By the way, just making sure I'm not reading this wrong: Did you mean a theme park with a film noir theme (like, Disneyland has a fairytale theme or whatever) or just an amusement park drawn in a film noir style? Also (sorry for all the questions, but this being my first time and all), are we allowed to use scanned handdrawn/hand painted art?

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Nice to see more people entering. :)

Judging from the last two, it can be either or both.  

And yup, as long as its your own and not traced over a photo you can enter it, handdrawn or otherwise. :D

Dave Gilbert

scotch

I'm making mine right now..

I was wondering, can the bgs be for scrolling rooms?  I think it'd suit this blitz theme.. a cool theme park is hard to get across in one screen I think :)  If not then I understand.. keeping the res strict and all.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Scrolling is a neat idea! Maybe another time tho. ;) Post it on the suggestion thread?

GarageGothic

I hate to post anything unfinished, but I might as well, since I'm not going to get online again before the deadline (with Easter coming up and all). I thought I could finish it at school today, but it turns out they only have Paintshop Pro, not Photoshop  :(

I'm not sure if we're even allowed to post unfinished images in the Background Blitz thread. If not, feel free to move it. I just thought I'd keep it within context of the carnival theme, and I would feel worse not posting anything when I said I would:

I'd love to hear any criticism or advice. It might be difficult to say anything about an unfinished background, but if you have any thoughts about basic stuff like composition and perspective, please do tell.

Edit: You don't have to mention that the hind legs of the horse look kinda funky, I am fully aware of that :)

As for film noir influence, I wanted the merry-go-round to be backlit, so that the horse cast a huge shadow on the boarded up facade. And the fortune telling machine in front would have been almost silhouetted. I didn't really manage to convey that in the pencil drawing - you can't even see that the scene's set at twilight. Most of the inspiration came from Strangers on a Train, which isn't really a film noir (although Hitchcock uses a lot of the same visual effects). I also re-watched the amusement park scenes from The Lady from Shanghai and The Third Man for the atmosphere, but they didn't really add anything.

Sorry that I couldn't contribute with anything real this time,
GarageGothic

Rincewind

Wow, that's a great sketch - Can't wait to see the finished version!

ratracer

Dave Gilbert

I don't know if this counts or not, since I didn't really "draw" it.  I made this for my original Max Griff game "Eyes of the Jade Sphinx."

This was made from a combination of Poser, photoshop, and four photographs that I cobbled together.  I'm not fond of the buildings - It's pretty obvious that they've been photoshopped if you look closely.  Although, I'm particularly pleased with how the lamplight turned out.

Pet Terry

Wow Dave, it's great! I would love to play that game.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

scotch

Wow, it's great :D

Doesn't look like much of a theme park but it's a cool pic.

Dave Gilbert

Theme park.  Rats.  Didn't read that rule.  Oh well.

OneThinkingGal and ._.

LOL! :P Still looks really nice Dave.

Nice work GG, maybe you can finish that up and post it for us anyway. You get an A for effort anyway. ;)

Next week, we'll do the haunted house, these niche topics seem to be somewhat unpopular. :(

scotch

Trapezoid

Evil

i vote GarageGothic. it was really well done, i dont see why just because it was hand drawn effects his entry... keep drawing GG  ;D

scotch

It's not that it was hand drawn.. I just don't think it would have worked right in a game sketched out like that.

Evil

OneThinkingGal and ._.

When did I say it couldn't be hand drawn? :)

Evil

scotch

I think she was reffering to how it's not finished.. not that it's hand drawn.  Most bgs in games are hand drawn..

OneThinkingGal and ._.

You can vote for whatever you like. :) I'm not restricting you from voting for it. If anyone wants to vote for Dave's back, thats fine too.

GarageGothic

Please don't tell me it's too late to submit the final version of my entry. I worked on it till 3am last night, assuming that 19th was last day to submit. I'm not too familiar with the rules here.

Edit: Just found the rules again in the suggestions thread. I KNEW that I hadn't just miscalculated which day was the 19th, back when I said I wouldn't have time to get online before the deadline.

Anyway, here's the colorized version of my previously posted background. I made two versions, one with the horse shadow and one without. I prefer the one without (less clutter), but now that I see them on a screen brighter than my own, I realize that there are some issues with the framing (no pencil at the very top of the merry-go-round). I think it came out pretty good though. It's my first go at colorizing on computer (I originally wanted to paint by hand, but realized I couldn't get the light bright enough), and I learned a lot making it. Looking forward to the Haunted House blitz.

Jimi

I like Garage's, but I'm gonna have to go with Earwigz. It was close though!

Renal Shutdown

* Iqu curses himself for over sleeping for eleven and a half hours, therefore missing the deadline.
* Iqu curses his entry for sucking, anyway.
* Iqu votes for GG, based purely on layout, just in case final pic was disqualified.
* Iqu maybe too late vote he isn't sure.
* Iqu apologies if he is.
* Iqu starts pushes pixels for a haunted house.
* Iqu has nipples...  not that it's relevent, off course, just true.

Hugs
Iqu
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Considering the late entries, I'll leave voting open till midnight today. :)

Nice work GG, I like the colouring.

Renal Shutdown

"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

AJA

I vote for the colored version from GG. The others are too monochrome... :P

Rincewind

GarageGothic, without a doubt.
Incredible colouring!  

TheYak

I vote Earwig...  I really loved GarageGothic and thought it had tons of atmosphere (reminds me of something from AITD 4 or Silent Hill) but Earwig's just screamed noir while GG's was more overall creepy amusement park.  

Dave Gilbert

OneThinkingGal and ._.

Me too earwigz. So that makes ummmm 6 to 4 for earwigz. Congrats Earwigz!

Nice work everyone who entered. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk