Fix for ADS King's Quest aspect ratio?

Started by Bucky9000, Sat 25/07/2015 21:48:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucky9000

I've had no luck finding a fix for the incorrect aspect ratio found in these games.  It seems very odd to me that a new game would not allow you to correct this.  Does anyone know a solution?  I'm not a proficient programming type but I can do my best if there's some way to tweak.  It's a shame that this is an issue as ADS has created some very beautiful and faithful remakes.  Thanks for your time.

Crimson Wizard

Did you try enabling letterbox/pillarbox modes in winsetup? I am afraid these are only ways to fix aspect ratio problem supported by AGS.

Also, what version of AGS were these games made with? The older engine had mistakes when applying resolution on high-res displays. Newer one does that better. It is possible to copy new engine executable to the game's folder and make it run the game instead.

Bucky9000

Thanks for the response, I did try the letterbox option with no luck.  I'm not sure how to check the actual version of AGS, I'm on a Mac so I can find the original PC files but I can't root around too much.  I didn't see anything with AGS in the title so not sure.  Not sure how to get the new executable, downloaded it but can't do much with it (again, on a Mac so I can install or do much with the PC files that easily) Any thoughts?

Bucky9000

What I've seen on the ADG site http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/kq1/about/aboutrelease.html only talks about their version, looks like last updated 2011, originally made in 2001.  Thanks again for any help.

Monsieur OUXX

Like CW said, don't hesitate to try copying the game files into a folder with the brand new executable of the engine. If it works, then it enables much more graphical options, with less bugs.

Crimson Wizard

I could swear, I actually replied to this second time... perhaps I started typing, but then something distracted me and I closed browser without posting.

I meant to say, that since 2013 we improved resolution setting a bit. You could try downloading most recent version of AGS. In AGS program folder find "acwin.exe" and copy it to the game folder.
To start the game execute acwin.exe instead of game exe. It should find your game data and run it normally.

You won't be able to use old winsetup.exe to setup the game in this case. To launch setup for "acwin.exe", do either of two things:
1. If you know how to use command line in Windows, run "acwin.exe --setup" in game folder.
2. In game folder create "setup.bat" file and write same text inside. Then save it, and double click on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk