Stopping randoms posting non AGS games in the wrong forum.

Started by Retro Wolf, Mon 27/07/2015 12:41:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Retro Wolf

We've been getting people basically joining the forum just to spam advertise their games. While I often find their projects interesting, it can be annoying. I often wonder how they get past the initiation test.

An idea I had would be to have a message come up when posting in the completed and in progress forums. "Is your project made with Adventure Game Studio?" With yes\no buttons. Pressing no would redirect to the general discussion forum.

m0ds

Haha. Whilst the mods are usually pretty well on top of non-AGS game intervention, and whilst there may be a few more here and there than before, (I haven't personally noticed a massive influx) if you can convince Berian to implement that extra step (it could also say 'don't worry your post isn't being rejected, just moved to the appropriate forum for non-AGS games' so the rest of us understand why it's a verification step) then I will certainly support it :)

Darth Mandarb

I don't think it's a bad idea.  I just don't think it's necessary (yet).

I, too, haven't noticed any real influx of non-AGS games being posted in the GiP so I think the extra "confirmation" step would be inconvenient for the 99% that are made in AGS.

Plus... if we keep taking all these steps to prevent rule-breaking I won't get to lock threads anymore and my neck-beard-internet-moderator-fragile-ego can't take that!!!

Slasher

Poor old Darth would be lost if he could not do a bit of locking  (laugh)

Another way is to have a separate 'Non ags games' forum...

Whilst other game engines are used this is supposed to be about AGS.. not tom, dick and harry (laugh)

m0ds

Could code it so it only pops up to people with under 20 posts or something, cos its generally people who "sign up and post" rather than long term members who do it.

Darth Mandarb

Yeah that could work too.

Or maybe restrict starting threads (in the GiP) for users with less than X posts?

Snarky

Not convinced is broke. Why introduce more complexity to "fix"?

MiteWiseacreLives!

JUST BAN EVERYONE!!!!

Spoiler
Actually I have notice a few more than normal lately.. the simple is this an AGS game? yes/no step sound like a decent idea.
I am actually mostly curious as to whether these folks are intentionally posting their non-ags game here or just making an honest mistake.
[close]

Ryan Timothy B

One funny thing is that posting your non-AGS game in the AGS games completed section will actually result in doubling your overall possible viewer count. "This topic has been moved to General Discussion." - click here auto-post.

Honest mistake or an attempt at getting twice the viewings? Hmmm... 8-)

Rissa

Quote from: Ryan Timoothy on Tue 28/07/2015 08:02:21

Honest mistake or an attempt at getting twice the viewings? Hmmm... 8-)

Just a lurker here, but maybe it's still worth my two cents...
From the reactions of some of the people who post in the wrong board it seems to me that they don't know that "Adventure Game Studio" is a game engine, some seem to think that this is just another (adventure) game forum, with the broadest definition of the term adventure...
Maybe it would just help to add something like "Home of the AGS Engine" to the header of the forum to make it clear what this forum is about.

m0ds

There are a bunch of community forums out there that also simply don't allow you to start a new thread until you've made 5 or 10 replies, causing people to actually engage with a community before they start posting crap. Another alternative to the "are you sure this is an AGS game?" verification. There may not be a call for either yet, but they are at least viable safeguards for the future. If we're talking about the AGS boards in the last week sure, but if we look at the last 15 years, one or the other could be useful...

Cassiebsg

I think it's a good idea with the extra check for ppl with less than X posts, as we assume that ppl that have posted and engaged in the community already know the difference.
I also noticed some ppl posting non-AGS games as AGS completed games lately, and being on my tablet playing AGS games, was kind of disappointed to go and download and then realize I couldn't play them anyway. :(

Also, don't think ppl are doing it on purpose, just like Rissa pointed out, many don't realize that AGS is a game engine, and they just do a honest mistake while figuring out where to properly post their game.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Darth Mandarb

I agree it's not "broke" (thus doesn't require fixing) and it works well as it is.  That doesn't mean, however, it couldn't be improved and made even better!

I like the idea of the "new topic" button just not being there (in the GiP) unless they have a minimum post count.

I feel strongly that we shouldn't discourage people (game developers) from joining the community and sharing their non-AGS games/projects with us though.  We're all in this together regardless of the platform we use!

Just doesn't belong in the AGS Games in Production board.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Tue 28/07/2015 14:36:34
I like the idea of the "new topic" button just not being there (in the GiP) unless they have a minimum post count.
I am not sure about this one, Darth. I recall several people posting GiP or even Completed Game announcements as their first posts. What if they preferred to keep low-profile until have something to show?
This would be kinda silly, if they finally come to forums to make an announcement, only to realize they need to make a dozen of random posts around the forums.
At the same time, non-ags games are posted not *that* often (at least my impression, which could be different from yours, because I do not moderate GiP forum :)).

The "is this made with AGS" confirmation with a big warning sign sounds like a more interesting alternative.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 28/07/2015 14:51:56I am not sure about this one, Darth. I recall several people posting GiP or even Completed Game announcements as their first posts. What if they preferred to keep low-profile until have something to show?

Valid point.  I do notice it in the Completed Games board but it's really not the "norm" in the GiP.

I guess I just don't really find it that inconvenient (or annoying) to have a minimum post count in order to start a topic. 

Most other forums I visit have this restriction (for all boards) by default and it works well.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 28/07/2015 14:51:56The "is this made with AGS" confirmation with a big warning sign sounds like a more interesting alternative.

I have no objection to this concept either. I would think it would be more convenient if it was just a warning (instead of a confirmation click):

THIS GAME MUST BE DEVELOPED IN ADVENTURE GAME STUDIO
Please post to OTHER BOARD if your game is not being made in AGS

Something like that.

Stupot

There's already a bunch if big bold text saying:

QuoteHAVE YOU READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD?
Seriously, have you?
If your new thread violates the rules, it will be LOCKED or DELETED without warning.

So anyone posting non-AGS games is already ignoring the rules before they post.

I'd be up for a little clickable check list.
Is this game made in AGS?
Is the game finished?
Do you have at least one screenshot?
Etc.

And if any of the boxes aren't checked, then the post simply won't be made.
This way people can't claim ignorance and neglect to read the rules; knowing the rules would be part of the process.
If anyone still posts a non-AGS game, then it is obvious they lied in their checking of the boxes, and they can be named and shamed and persecuted for being filthy rotten liars.

MiteWiseacreLives!

And after this point we can queue
A Spanish Inquisition! Nobody expects a Spanish Inquisition!!
Yay!
+1 for simple check box
-1 for minimum posts, this is not on the spirit of the AGS forums IMHO

Ryan Timothy B

How about you also update the big wall'o'text seen here in the board rules sticky with something like this:

In order to post a new thread here:
  • Must be made with AGS
         Games that are not made with AGS must be posted in General Discussion board
  • Your game MUST be finished
         If your game is not finished it belongs in AGS Games in Production board
  • The thread must be the name of your game
         A thread with the name "My new game" etc, is not acceptable
  • Include a brief description or synopsis of what the game is about
         If it's not an adventure game, make this fact clear. Try to include at least ONE screenshot.
  • Is your game in English?
         If not, include the language in the thread title (ie: Game Title - Spanish)
After posting your game, why not take the time to also add it to the AGS game database? The database allows users to rate and comment on your game, and also allows you to keep track how many times it was downloaded.

selmiak

Quote from: Ryan Timoothy on Wed 29/07/2015 23:02:07

In order to post a new thread here:
  • Must be made with AGS

you want people to write their forumposts with AGS? :=

m0ds

Nice ideas. The current incarnation is a bit... harsh?

HAVE YOU READ THE FORUM RULES BEFORE STARTING A NEW THREAD?

Seriously, have you?

If your new thread violates the rules, it will be LOCKED or DELETED without warning.

"YOU F---ING IDIOT!" ..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk