Random question

Started by MoonDog, Tue 04/08/2015 12:56:11

Previous topic - Next topic

MoonDog

So I'm asking this everywhere and still haven't gotten a reply so gonna be asking here now. Anyone know a way of making only blizzard games connect to the internet so there's nothing happening in the background? For some reason something is eating all my data even tho I've got absolutely everything switched to "don't update at all" but that's still not helping. End up disconnected halfway thru a game. Using my phone I check data usage while connected and it's jumped from 8mbs used to 213mbs used in a few seconds and I know for a fact the game doesn't take that much data.

Crimson Wizard

Hmmm, maybe set up firewall and disable permissions for everything except Blizzard game?
OTOH how do you know how much data the game transports? Did you asked Blizzard tech support about it?

MoonDog

When I played on my other laptop it didn't have anything updating/downloading in the background and one game session would usually take about 30mb but with this new laptop all my data finishes before I even finish a game session.

Crimson Wizard

Alright, you may try following way to detect what is going on.

Download the TCPView program (do not worry, it's free AND from official microsoft site, no scam or something): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437

After running it you will see a report list of processes which use TCP and UDP connections.
Sort the list by the column "Sent bytes" or "Recv bytes" by clicking on column header.
To test how this works, run your web browser and open some sites with pictures, well anything that would have noticable impact on traffic.

After you learnt how it works in general, run your game and check the list from time to time.

MoonDog

Shall definitly try that

AGA

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 04/08/2015 14:25:31
Alright, you may try following way to detect what is going on.

Download the TCPView program (do not worry, it's free AND from official microsoft site, no scam or something): https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897437

After running it you will see a report list of processes which use TCP and UDP connections.
Sort the list by the column "Sent bytes" or "Recv bytes" by clicking on column header.
To test how this works, run your web browser and open some sites with pictures, well anything that would have noticable impact on traffic.

After you learnt how it works in general, run your game and check the list from time to time.

Windows Task Manager does this too, at least since Windows 8, if not earlier.  Ir also shows usage history data.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: AGA on Tue 04/08/2015 18:04:44
Windows Task Manager does this too, at least since Windows 8, if not earlier.  Ir also shows usage history data.

Oops, correct. This is in resource monitor.
http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-resource-monitor-windows-7

MoonDog

So turns out there was a Trojan related hack/virus that was sending out information in the background. Lucky for me I only use this laptop for games so nothing important on it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk