MAGS August: "It's Summer!" (VOTE)

Started by Atelier, Wed 05/08/2015 00:23:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'It's Summer!'

This month's guidelines were set by Mandle:

IT'S SUMMER!!! And with summer comes all the awesome summer activities:

BBQs, picnics, hiking, camping, sports, swimming, and one of the most widespread summer activities of all time:

So yeah...This summer's MAGs theme is DROWNING...

Interpret this theme any way you like:

Literal drowning, saving someone from drowning, drowning in paperwork, feeling like you are drowning in a relationship...etc.

Anything goes as long as the theme of drowning is obvious in the finished work...

Ending 5th September

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

What is MAGS?

Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules

• You may work in a team to produce an entry.
• You are not allowed to use any material created before the competition. Your game must be completely new! An exception is music and sound; you can use any audio that is freely available to the public.
• Any modules and templates featured in this board are also allowed.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

âÅ"“ A working download link
âÅ"“ The title of your game
âÅ"“ A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fifteen days. The winner chooses the next month's theme, and their name and game is immortalised in the MAGS Archive. For more information, please visit the Official MAGS website.

Atelier

The Great Underground Empire

Sounds good!  I'll be taking the plunge. :)

Mandle

Cheers to Atelier for getting the ball rolling on this midsummer days' nightmare of DROWNING...

I came up with the theme before heading off to summer camp on an island with 33 students where we swim at the beach daily...This is my seventh time as a supervisor at the camp and I have battled for water safety improvements since the start...But still I go every year with the fear of a drowning incident lurking in my heart...

Water safety has improved greatly though and this year there were no panicky moments except for me having to rescue one frightened girl out of relatively shallow water...No big deal though as we had staff standing by to help out just in case, and I was able to hand her off to another staff member smoothly to get her back on dry land...

The young lady in question went on to become confident enough to swim about 40 meters out to a pontoon and jump off/swim around it without her life-jacket for heavily supervised portions of time, much to her credit...

So yeah...We got back from the camp with no incidents and the main reason I chose this theme before I left for the camp was as a kind of jinx-breaker...

So now guys: Show us whatcha got!

And prepare to start drowning yourself in the undertow that is MAGS...

WHAM

Haven't released anything in ages, so it's time to get into MAGS again!
Project codename: "Cold Hand" is a go.

Wish me luck!

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Mandle

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 06/08/2015 11:26:12
Wish me luck!

Best of luck to both WHAM and PlayPretend with their entries!!! Can't wait to see what you both come up with!

Radiant

But I'm drowning in other projects already... :shocked:

Tournk

Interesting theme. I might give it a try.
Reaction is always funny.

WHAM

First character sprite in a while for me. I tried to keep it quite simple, not too many colours and shades, but still enough.
Next will need to find motivation to animate the walkcycles and some interactions.

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ponch

With OROW also competing for my time, I don't know if I'll be able to finish both (or either), but I'm going to give this one a shot. :cool:

If it helps, I saw your post and went, "Oh carp, Ponch is joining.  I'm gonna loooose." :)

This is the kind of background/character art you'll all be seeing in my upcoming entry, tentatively titled "Sirenity".  I'm going for a pop-up, cutout book type feel:

Mandle

The art samples look lovely so far guys!

And welcome aboard Ponch!!! (or is "welcome overboard" more appropriate to the theme?)

WHAM

Cool pic, PlayPretend. I'm more of a pixel-art through-and-though man myself, but it's still refreshing to see other styles being worked in AGS.

Also: Ponch is overpowered! Maybe working on OROW at the same time will balance him out though... hmmm...

With what we have so far, I see that 4 people are showing interest (Radiant, are you number five?) so looks good! Good luck to everyone working on your games and try not to DROWN in the workload. I'm so sorry

I'll post some progress posts in the thread, but nothing too revealing. I gotta keep some secrets and surprises for the final release. ;)

Thanks Wham, you too!  Art is my suckiest skill, and I admire the hell out of people who can actually draw with pixels and real arty skills.  That's why I build vector puppets and color with textured clipping masks...it's the only way I can squash and push things into shape. :)  Still, it beats the heck out of the Paint Shop Pro 7 gradients I used on *everything* when I was an AGS newbie 9 or 10 years ago, cringe-lol.  Can't wait to see your game!

Mandle

Quote from: PlayPretend on Sun 09/08/2015 02:10:03
Thanks Wham, you too!  Art is my suckiest skill, and I admire the hell out of people who can actually draw with pixels and real arty skills.  That's why I build vector puppets and color with textured clipping masks...it's the only way I can squash and push things into shape. :)  Still, it beats the heck out of the Paint Shop Pro 7 gradients I used on *everything* when I was an AGS newbie 9 or 10 years ago, cringe-lol.  Can't wait to see your game!

And for all of your supposed "sucky" skills your popup-book art looks totally gorgeous! Good for you for turning your "limitations" to your advantage I say!

I could sooooo get into a game with that art style, especially once I see the poor soul lured by the siren drowning behind those paper waves!

Ponch

Nah. Ponch isn't overpowered. He's overhyped. His track record with MAGS / OROW is mixed, at best. 

And that "pop up" storybook style looks GREAT! ;-D

Looking forward to a fun MAGS this month, guys! 8-)

Chicky

I've drafted up ideas for a simple hacking game and made some funky animations. I'm not going to promise an entry because I have holiday booked for the end of this month (yay!) but i'm going with theme of 'drowning in the bitstream' ;)

Let's see how this plays out.

vertigoaddict

Oooh... a little intimidating (that's good I'd say, it fans the flame of motivation{insert firey eyes!!!}).
I love that style Playpretend, it's got a great asthetic!
Well... since everyone's showin' off I think I'll do the same, here's a little sneak:

I'm gonna try and be really ambitious this time around, hopefully I'll manage to do what I want to do in time.
I'm gonna be boring about the title and just call it "All Gone Soon 2" (yay for sequels!).

WHAM

Solid progress on my end. Main character walkcycles are about done, backgrounds are all done and all NPC character sprites are designed and drawn (though not animated yet).
Here's another sneak peek (hidden due to being so tall).

Spoiler
"I'm on a boat!"
[close]
I also finished my puzzle design flowchart today, and got a small test build up so I can start to navigate the game and get a feel for things like movement speed etc. So far I feel good about the project, and am really pleased with how fast I've gotten things done so far. Lot's of work still to do!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk