Opinions & suggestions on Trailer

Started by AnasAbdin, Mon 10/08/2015 11:50:54

Previous topic - Next topic

AnasAbdin

Thanks Blondbraid glad you like it ;-D

...I was thinking of speeding up the last 5 messages ("Icon based dialogs"... until "count stars with Simon")

Cassiebsg

Good improvement. (laugh)

I did spend the day thinking about your trailer (yeah, I know, my work is way too boring and leaves my mind to wonder off in this kind of dilemmas (laugh) ) , and I would cut off the "oh, it's a dream" scene... I feel it kills the mood (excitement and mystery, instead of leaving the watcher in the "I want to know where that scene fits! Is it a death scene or something else?" state...) and cuts on the fast pace of the start.

Also, as I have no idea who Simon is, besides a cat who counts stars, am not sure you should put it in the trailer. Am sure it's a vital and cool feature, but kind of leaves me thinking that's for small kids to learn how to count... (wtf) And am not sure that's the last impression you want to leave to those who are watching the trailer... (roll)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

AnasAbdin

Interesting point about the dream scene :)

Simon is Carter's cat. An NPC in the game based on my my late Simon Pegg :~(
The idea to put him in the trailer is to lighten up the video. The game may sound serious and scary, so a little soft touch won't harm IMO :-\

cat

The font is much more readable now!

One more thing I noticed: The switch between the two music pieces is somewhat random. It would be better if it were more in sync with the pictures.

AnasAbdin

Thanks cat :)
I will mix the two tracks and see where it goes from there.

Jack

Just want to chime in again to say that I totally got the "draw on your face, count stars with Simon" joke, and I think your intended audience will too.

And personally I think the "Same ol' dream" works well for the trailer. A recurring dream hints at the depth of the story much better than a random death scene.

I think the panic breathing will sound great. What if there was no music within the dream? A trailer that opens with nothing but panic breathing will definitely grab attention.

If you can, find a good way to join the two pieces of music in the middle of the trailer.

SilverSpook

One little musical sleight of hand often employed by movie trailers when they want to switch music tracks is to have a big, jarring event, (I.e. George Clooney discovering from his daughter that his wife's been cheating on him, in The Descendents) and then yank the track right out.  Sometimes with an actual vintage "record-scratch" sound effect, to emphasize the sense of a derailed train.  Then switch to the new track -- in the case of The Descendents "redemption healing prog-rock" as Clooney's character tries to repair his relationships with his family, with Hawaii, etc...

That allows you to swap tracks, without it drawing attention to the fact that the music just changed.  When you have a music change without any reflection of the change in the visuals, it can* cause cognitive dissonance in a select subset of viewers.

*Can being the operative word.  Some people won't mind.

AnasAbdin

One last question to wrap it up ???

At the end of the video, there is a black screen with white text and Steam's logo along with the flags of the countries of the available translations. I am trying to come up with a good cinematic phrase to write something like:

AN ADVENTURE GAME STUDIO "AGS BY CHRIS JONES" PRODUCTION BY ANAS ABDIN COMING SOON TO

The font and style are similar to this:

Welp! :-[

SilverSpook

I like the classic movie-poster-font concept!  Run with it!

AnasAbdin

Thanks man. I will try to rephrase the line :)

Edit:

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions!
Here's the final trailer video ;-D
[embed=640,390]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYPn3kpsNU[/embed]

Blondbraid

Love how the little bugs clutter together to form the logo at the end of trailer! (nod)

AnasAbdin

Thanks ;-D

These are tardigrades (water bears) :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk