Issue with acsprset size

Started by Chicky, Fri 21/08/2015 17:55:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

cChicky.Say("Hello!");

I'm having some trouble with the size of my MAGS game, i've only just noticed the colossal size of the sprite file - It's 818MB!

I may have been a little ambitious when exporting animations from After Effects but I have gone through and removed any frames that could be editor handled (repeated frames etc).The game is running in 640x400 in 32bit, I'm using 32bit because there are some alpha dependent animations for GUI overlays etc.

The thing that has me baffled is that my actual assets folder (from which I import my sprites) is only 255MB, is the AGS compression adding that extra 563MB?

This is made worse by the fact that i'm not even finished with the game, plus who wants to play a 818MB+ MAGS game? Finding hosting would also be a pain!

Is there anything I can do? I've checked my sprites in AGS and only the essential ones are there.

Gilbert

By default, AGS does not compress sprite data because of performance issues, so it's quite normal that the created sprite collection file will be much larger than the source image files (assuming that these source files are in compressed formats such as PNG).
Try to enable the "Compress the sprite file" option from the "Compiler" section of the "General Settings" tab and see how much that may help. As AGS adopts a rather primitive scheme for sprite compression the result could be fairly good to mediocre depending on the complexity of the images.

Chicky

Ah, excellent! Thanks for the speedy reply Gilbert, can you tell i've not released many games? ;)

I did check the help file and found the bit about splitting the resources into different chunks but somehow overlooked compression option. My game file is now down to 364MB, which is much more reasonable.

Panic moment over! Thanks again :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk